Alignment Readings for Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
97 LX450 with OME 2” lift springs on front, OME .75” up front. No spacers. Warn 12K winch installed on ARB bull bar bumper. Sits almost dead level with no load on oversized BFG AT’s (33”-34” tires). Please take a look at alignment specs and let me know if I’m OK running with these #s (I have no idea). Didn’t like the negative camber but it does seem minor.

A84B6C03-4B3D-4D90-9A0C-35A3E05BF7A8.png

What do you mean by the above? Just curious.

You would be much happier with a little more caster, for sure.

Would you be willing to fill the form in this thread out by any chance? Contribute to the community data pool: Compiling/comparing lift and caster data
I’ll be happy to contribute to the data pool. Will fill out form ASAP. Then I’ll feel like I’ve contributed something to this forum.

Regarding my question in original post, I’m wondering if I’m running the risk of damaging any driveline components running with these numbers. I also should’ve mentioned the rig does have the OME caster correction bushings installed. I believe that higher caster numbers would improve straightline tracking on the highway, correct? That was the case when I had the caster cranked up on my 5th gen 4Runner. However, on this LX450, what would you recommend to bring up the caster #s?

I’ll be happy to contribute to the data pool. Will fill out form ASAP. Then I’ll feel like I’ve contributed something to this forum.

Regarding my question in original post, I’m wondering if I’m running the risk of damaging any driveline components running with these numbers. I also should’ve mentioned the rig does have the OME caster correction bushings installed. I believe that higher caster numbers would improve straightline tracking on the highway, correct? That was the case when I had the caster cranked up on my 5th gen 4Runner. However, on this LX450, what would you recommend to bring up the caster #s?
Also, is -.03 camber any reason for concern? I’ll readjust wheel bearings to see if I can get improvement in the camber #s.

I’ll be happy to contribute to the data pool. Will fill out form ASAP.

Awesome, thank you!

Regarding my question in original post, I’m wondering if I’m running the risk of damaging any driveline components running with these numbers.

I would be surprised if any drivelines were to be damaged with running low caster, but your drivability is certainly effected. I'm sure others will chime in with additional info on that side of things.

I also should’ve mentioned the rig does have the OME caster correction bushings installed. I believe that higher caster numbers would improve straightline tracking on the highway, correct? That was the case when I had the caster cranked up on my 5th gen 4Runner. However, on this LX450, what would you recommend to bring up the caster #s?

Toyota spec is 3*, +- 1* and the consensus is usually to be on the high side of that is better. So +2ish degrees from where you are. And yes, more caster will improve straight line driving, but not just on the highway.

I was just wondering what you meant by the "OME .75 up front comment" since it's right after the mention of 2" springs up front.

Also, is -.03 camber any reason for concern? I’ll readjust wheel bearings to see if I can get improvement in the camber #s.

Are they that loose? And maybe checking the knuckle bearings for slop too while you're in there. The ones it steers around.

To the questions above...I need to clarify coil spring types. Fronts are ARB2850 and rears are OME2862. It did have more lift in the rear but also had a heavy rake. It had the rake when I bought it. I called Slee a year or so ago and asked best way to level and they advised the 2862 for most minimal change to driveline geometry. The ARB caster correction bushings were installed by PO. Not sure if they were done correctly. I only have a receipt for the parts on an invoice from 5 or 6 years ago. I can tell the bushings are yellow so I assume those are the ARB bushings.

Assuming trunnion bearings and wheel bearings are tight...

A little negative camber is not a concern, and actually probably improves your handling a little bit (at the expense of *very slight* increase in tire wear). No way to adjust it in the stock setup, so you gotta live with it anyway :)

To the questions above...I need to clarify coil spring types. Fronts are ARB2850 and rears are OME2862. It did have more lift in the rear but also had a heavy rake. It had the rake when I bought it. I called Slee a year or so ago and asked best way to level and they advised the 2862 for most minimal change to driveline geometry. The ARB caster correction bushings were installed by PO. Not sure if they were done correctly. I only have a receipt for the parts on an invoice from 5 or 6 years ago. I can tell the bushings are yellow so I assume those are the ARB bushings.

Can you get a close look at the bushings and see if they are oriented like the red or blue circles in attached pic?

SINGLE RADIUS ARM-2.jpg

I will look at bushings ASAP. Traveling for work this week. Also, it seems like the negative camber isn’t so far off to be a concern?

correct

Given the alignment numbers I don't see how the bushings could be installed wrong. At 2" lift you need around 3.48 degrees of correction and the yellow bushings only offer 2 degrees. So starting a 3* of caster and then falling short on correction by 1.48 degrees will put you under the 2* minimum.

Given the alignment numbers I don't see how the bushings could be installed wrong. At 2" lift you need around 3.48 degrees of correction and the yellow bushings only offer 2 degrees. So starting a 3* of caster and then falling short on correction by 1.48 degrees will put you under the 2* minimum.
Thanks, Landtank. Is there a way to get 2 or more degrees of positive caster with the springs I currently have installed?

Thanks, Landtank. Is there a way to get 2 or more degrees of positive caster with the springs I currently have installed?

You have quite a few options out there these days. @landtank sells caster plates through @NLXTACY (I believe that's how that works, maybe landtank can comment on that himself, here's a link to read about them: 80 Series Caster Correction Plates- 2.5in.), there are other companies that make caster plates, Slee makes some radius arms, but those are for massive lift, and we make some radius arms for different heights of lift (2", 4", and 6" seen here: F(Z)J80 Delta Radius Arm Set) that utilize OEM bushings. Most caster plates require cutting/grinding/welding of the radius arm brackets on your axle, but are a very low cost solution. Aftermarket radius arms are usually designed with appropriately changed wheelbase so things don't get tighter as the lift goes higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom