2006 Toyota Land Cruiser Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I am starting a 2006 Land Cruiser overland build. I just found a super clean Cruiser with 160,000 miles. I will be working with Adventure Motors in Kansas City. They are a great company and give excellent service.

I am pretty new to overlanding but I will be moving to Botswana and want to have a capable rig. I wont be doing any rock crawling mostly, tar roads, dirt, gravel, sand, and a few water crossings. I need it to be reliable since we will be driving through places with no vehicle service or tow capability. We plan on traveling through Botswana, Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

Any advice on accessories or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Still deciding on wheels/tires and lighting. I will be posting pictures throughout. Here is the build plan so far:

Complete OME suspension kit - OME866 rear coils - 60000 shocks - 60002 shocks - torsion bars - slee diff drop kit - SPC adjustable upper control arms
ARB OME deluxe front winch bumper
Frontrunner Slimline II roof rack - full length
Smittybilt X20 10k synthetic line winch
ARB OME modular rear bumper system
ARB swing out tire carrier passenger side
ARB swing out jerry can carrier driver side
Switch Pros 9100
ARB CKMTA12 twin high performance air compressor
Slee Offroad dual battery tray / compressor mount
Slee Offroad Belly plate, Intermediate skid plate, - Steel
Slee Offroad front skid plate - Aluminum
Slee Offroad SliderSteps
ARB Safari snorkel kit

image_215235_img_8368.jpg

image_215235_img_8370.jpg

image_215235_img_8390.jpg

Good looking 100. I’m excited to see the transition to overland rig. Please post pics of the progress. Have fun.

I would suggest immediately contacting Cruiser Brothers and getting long range fuel tanks installed. They are having a sale right now, and fuel range is top of the list over there. Get it done right with proper accessible filters.
Window tint and protection/security screens for rear windows would be another consideration
Theft protection is very important that doesn’t interfere with regular operations.

Tires size is also important, keep it stock and see about availability over there of the tires you bring from here. Last thing you want is weird unobtainable tire size.

Good looking 100. I’m excited to see the transition to overland rig. Please post pics of the progress. Have fun.
I will definitely post pics. We should be breaking her open in January when the parts come in.

Sounds like you have a good plan for your new rig. Good luck and keep us posted.

You are likely to have fitment issues with that Smittybuilt and the ARB. I have a X20 12k on my 80 series and I had to cut some aluminum spacers to clear the sides of the winch.

I would measure that winch or get dimensions if you haven't already. My winch works fine, but I may have saved up a few more bucks and gotten the Warn 9.5 to avoid having to use spacers.

Smittybilt X2O fitment to ARB bull bar bumper

I would suggest immediately contacting Cruiser Brothers and getting long range fuel tanks installed. They are having a sale right now, and fuel range is top of the list over there. Get it done right with proper accessible filters.

x2 - Increasing fuel capacity and range would be one of my top priorities. What a great project with adventures to come!

I have been thinking about the extended fuel tank but I am wondering about serviceability if something goes wrong with it in Botswana. Also is the tank seperate with a switch like on dual tank trucks or is it all one tank?

Here is what I have decided on for the final build:

OME866 rear coils - 60000 shocks - 60002 shocks - torsion bars - slee diff drop kit - SPC adjustable upper control arms
ARB OME deluxe front winch bumper
Frontrunner Slimline II roof rack - full length
Level 8 MK6 wheels w/ 285/75-17 Ridge Grapplers
Smittybilt X20 10k synthetic line winch
ARB OME modular rear bumper system
ARB swing out tire carrier passenger side
ARB swing out jerry can carrier driver side
Extreme LED X6S 2D 38" - Frontrunner light bar mount
Extreme LED 5" Scene light (x4 side lights)
Switch Pros 9100
Replacement battery for main and dual setup - 34R AGM KC extreme duty batteries
ARB CKMTA12 twin high performance air compressor
Slee Offroad dual battery tray / compressor mount
Slee Offroad Belly plate - Steel
Slee Offroad Intermediate skid plate - Aluminum
Slee Offroad front skid plate - Aluminum
Slee slider steps
ARB Safari snorkel kit

Fuel tanks are essentially fool proof. Once in and functioning shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Keeping filters cleaned up is the only upkeep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom