Smittybilt X2O fitment to ARB bull bar bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MDJ

Threads
Happy Sunday!

In the never ending quest that is my 80, I've ordered a Smittybilt X2O 12000 winch today. I know there are a few videos and threads out there if various winches being fitted to the ARB bull bar bumper, but in all my searching I can't seem to find one for this particular winch. So, I thought I'd ask those with experience if I'll need adapters of any kind for this model?

My bumper:

Winch ordered:

Thanks for any help!

I think ARB sells some adapters.
People here have fab'd their own adapters out of two pieces of metal.

I did look on their site. Looks like there's some sort of 'universal' adapter kit for $90 or so. I sent them an email as well.

If it comes down to something simple, I'll make a trip to the steel shop and get out the welder.

I take it most have just needed a spacer because of the motor housing contacting the bumper or perhaps the solenoid being in the way. Should it be the solenoid in my case, it can be mounted over the motor, or as shown in the picture.

Hopefully I have no issues. Regardless, I'll be sure to follow up here.

Got a response from ARB. They're saying it should fit without adapters. However, they haven't fitted this winch yet. Perhaps I'll be the first.

Should receive the winch next week. Stay tuned.

I hope it works well. Just remember the ARB bumper is angled in, so the ends of the winch would hit the bumper preventing the feet to get close to the mounting area.
I base my opinion on the pictures I see, so it could turn out I am totally off.

That's what I thought looking at the photos as well. He mentioned the lower lb Warn winches didn't need adapters (8-9k) and thought mine wouldn't either. Seems strange that a winch as big as this wouldn't.

I'm fully prepared to mock up some spacers.

Let's hope so.

Just got a shipment notice. Should be a week exactly.

Hahaha. No doubt that despite all of the 'useful' and 'utilitarian' things we buy for our vehicles they all look really nice to us. That's part of the fun, for sure.

I hail from the VW/Audi scene where looks are far more important than functionality. Despite all of my years of working around German performance and styling, there's never been anything quite like a well sorted Toyota truck.

I'll be honest, I'm as excited about having a badass winch as I am about being able to tackle my Colorado trails with a bit more confidence. It's all good, man!

I had a B6 A4 Ultrasport myself. lightly tuned. loved that car. love my 80 more though

Haha, awesome. I'll have to dig up the dyno video for the S4...441/482 at the wheels. I was obsessed.
Previous to that...mkII 16v gti, mkII 8v gti, mkIII vr6 gti, '71 Westfalia and a '70 Westfalia that was nearly completely restored...pictured below is its demise.

Still have the super, though.

UPS showed up in 2 days with the winch. I forgot how awesome Amazon Prime is!

Had to call a buddy to help get it in place and see what I'd need to figure out for spacers.

To my surprise, it fit well, but needed to be spaced back 3/8ths of an inch. Looked around the garage and found some old aluminum truck bed camper brackets that were perfect. Drilled 9/16" holes in them and cut them to size with the Jett saw.

The X2O comes with M10 x 1.5 bolts. With the spacers and having to utilize the bottom winch bolts to attach the fairlead, I had to buy some longer bolts. Loctited them and it worked perfectly.

All in all, it was a pretty easy job. Didn't have to relocate the control box, either. Just clocked the gearbox 90 degrees to the left.

Ill have to wind the cable in a parking lot somewhere tomorrow. Smittybilt does not ship the winch tensioned.

Hopefully someone can make use of this write up. I'm happy to be able to contribute!

Last edited:
Thanks MDj!! Well done.

This may be a dumb question but does the bumper have to come off for installation? I'm just curious. Also what size, type, and length of longer bolt did you end up getting (so I can order them up when order the winch)?

And is your front end sagging a lot more? I plan to get synthetic line so I might be able to keep my medium springs and save a little weight.

J

No need for the bumper to come off. My friend was running late and I was getting impatient, so I wound up using a race jack and a ratchet strap to hoist it from the bottom. Once it's close, you're going to need help to get it into place, though.

The bolts that they send are rated at 10.9 and are not stainless. I purchased 4 grade 8.8 bolts for the time being, but may replace them with 10.9 bolts later. Here's a picture for comparison...

The plated bolt came with the winch. I bought bolts that would clear the fairlead and the spacers

I wouldn't say it's sagging a lot more. A little perhaps. I have an OME 3" lift which is a bit lower in the front to begin with. Id say you're going to have a little more sag regardless of the synthetic rope. I chose steel because we get a lot more sun here in Colorado than other states. That and less risk of rust if it's kept lubricated and covered (yet to find a suitable cover)

Once I have my new engine sourced and in the garage, I'll be going with heavy springs. Either 3" w/ 1" body lift to clear 35" tires or an ICON setup of some kind.

Just for reference, here's a picture of the control box clearance.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom