climate control bulbs - early fj80 (92) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rex in bama

SILVER Star
Threads
Having issues replacing the climate control bulbs in my early fj80. Two different bulbs that illuminate the lever controls. The top one pulls out, the bottom one is a twist type. Two questions (and have searched here with limited success):
  • Anybody know what type bulbs these are, and whether or not an autozone (or the like) carries them? Seems like the pull-type is a bit smaller than a type 74.
  • I have twisted the twist type, but it seems to have partially gone behind the panel where i cannot access (located on the bottom left). Should I have just pulled on it? Now that it is almost fully behind the panel, is my only option to pull the whole unit to access it? That would seem to involve pulling the entire dash, by the look of it!
Thanks for any help! Trying to post a pic, but having difficulty

Photo now attached - bulb in question is on lower left.

Last edited:
image1 copy.jpeg

I am sure someone will add what the replacement LED bulb is...but if you want OEM, then you need to get from Toyota. Norwalk Toyota has good pricing: 90010-03056 ***EDIT I know this is for the 97. I am sure it is the same, but calling Norwalk Toyota you'll know for sure***

DD7B5939-B57B-4736-BFFE-3616937CCD3E.jpeg
Just did my 1993 and here is what I used. Much cheaper than the dealer. You will also need three green bulb condoms if you want to keep the factory type illumination.

Local parts stores won’t have them usually.

many thanks! and, thankfully, was able to get the twist socket pulled back out. Turns out it is the same type bulb, and I could have just pulled it out initially (doh!).

Hi, how did you manage to replace the bulbs. Didn´t you have to take out the whole cluster or are they just plugged in from front. ??

Thanks, I thought they were soldered in the plug. I bought the fan switch and the bulbs are there on pigtails. I didn´t try to unplugg because I was going to replace the whole unit incl the fan switch. But I guess if I don´t find out how to replace the fan switch I just replace the bulbs the way you say, from front. But otherwise, would you know how to bring the whole unit to front so one could replace the fan switch ?

switch.JPG

Yeah, that is a bit more surgery than I have been through on my dash.

It´s reallyt hard to find info on it. But I suspect it´s shelled together in 2-3 parts. :) But as the fan switch is ok I will do the same as you, just replace the bulbs. :)

These are the bulbs for the lever climate control earlier 80s (91 - 94, I believe). No buttons, though all of the surrounding button switch’s need to be removed to remove the dash panel to access these bulbs.

Hi all. It looks like the topic went a little off the original. I am currently trying to change the climate control bulbs. I do have the dash apart and the area is open. I have undone all the screws to remove the assembly. My problem is that originally I put LED in them and one worked and then while trying to get the top plastic light disperser on, I pushed the bulb in. I got it out, but now both bulbs are out. Fuses are good, the bulbs were good and LED, I even tried OEM incandescent with no luck. For you all who are experienced here……did I unplug something more when I pushed the bulb in? The assembly wasn’t unscrewed before, so I can’t imagine I jostled something loose behind. Any ideas peeps? I really want to get this darn thing fixed!

Hi all. It looks like the topic went a little off the original. I am currently trying to change the climate control bulbs. I do have the dash apart and the area is open. I have undone all the screws to remove the assembly. My problem is that originally I put LED in them and one worked and then while trying to get the top plastic light disperser on, I pushed the bulb in. I got it out, but now both bulbs are out. Fuses are good, the bulbs were good and LED, I even tried OEM incandescent with no luck. For you all who are experienced here……did I unplug something more when I pushed the bulb in? The assembly wasn’t unscrewed before, so I can’t imagine I jostled something loose behind. Any ideas peeps? I really want to get this darn thing fixed!
With LED bulbs, they will only work when put in a specific way, so if it doesnt work flip it 180 degrees. LED are diodes and only allow current to flow one way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom