Catalyst Monitor not updating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I live in a state that does emissions testing, more specifically i live in one of 4 counties in the state that does emissions testing, which is BS but whatever. After i got this thing running by putting the new crank sensor in it ran great but the catalyst monitor never updated. Now I'm 98% sure both of my cats are bad, im pretty sure theyre original. Watched the live data from the o2 sensors to confirm this. My manifolds do leak but im not sure that would have a huge effect. Ive put 1500 miles give or take on it since i got it back up and running, no light, still showing "not ready."

Went to have it tested today figuring i would fail but there is a $300 repair waiver, which i would show them reciepts for what i already did. I PASSED! Apparently, Ohio follows the epa mandated rules on obd2 emissions tests which allows 2 "not ready" monitors for 1996-2000 vehicles and 1 anything newer than that. Even the employee at the government ran test facility admitted he used this loophole on his own car to reset his MIL and run it through with the monitor reading "not ready" and on his way home with his "passed" paperwork in hand the light came back on.

To be clear, I was not, and am not encouraging anyone to try to game this system but I found this, new to me, information interesting and thought it was funny even the guy enforcing this somewhat silly system, knows its silly and exploits the loopholes himself.

I'm 98% sure your cats aren't bad. Unless you've left an o2 sensor out for a long time and seriously contaminated them with fuel (or damaged them somehow), cats just aren't something that really "go bad".

How would you go about diagnosing the issue? It is my understanding that they do get clogged and/or lose effectiveness over time. The rig has 350k on it and i bought it with 320k, and i have no clue how the previous owner ran it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom