front grill/bumper filler removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know how to remove the middle filler piece of the front grill/bumper? Been trying to pry and pull but don't want to break the plastic. Experimenting with front aux lighting. The two plastic fasteners on either end pretty much disintegrated when I touched them. It sounds like it is glued or adhesive was used?

Thanks,
-S
View attachment 1725816

IMG_5161.jpg
IMG_5161.jpg
pic attached.
IMG_5161.jpg

Last edited:
There are those two fasteners on the top of the panel, and I believe there are 'legs' at the extreme ends of the center panel that fit inside of channels on the inner sides of the outer panels (did that make sense?) There should be a fastener on each of those joints (where the center panel fits into the outers).

It can be a pain to remove. I ended up breaking one of them, then breaking the rest out of frustration.

Zoom in and you'll see what I'm referencing. The side panels go in first (thus would be removed after the center). The center has pins on the extreme ends that will push in to the extreme ends of the side panels. Those pins anchor inside of a female plastic clip in the body. You'll need to wiggle the center straight out (as in forward, away from the from of the truck).

20191001_114121.jpg

Zoom in and you'll see what I'm referencing. The side panels go in first (thus would be removed after the center). The center has pins on the extreme ends that will push in to the extreme ends of the side panels. Those pins anchor inside of a female plastic clip in the body. You'll need to wiggle the center straight out (as in forward, away from the from of the truck).

View attachment 2422265

Ah I see. I was trying to mash those yellow pins from behind and was pulling up on the piece, glad I gave up and didn't break it.

Do you think it's necessary for me to remove it to install the front bumper cover back on? I snapped the clips holding it down but I'm being told that I don't need to replace the pins, just shove the top of the bumper back in and then bolt it back down on the bottom and sides.

I can't speak for certain about needing to remove them to put the tupperware cover back on, but I can say that it is not necessary to remove them to remove the bumper cover. In hindsight, I removed (and broke) my pieces while I was installing the ARB bumper, only to realize after the fact that I didn't need to mess with them to begin with. Doh!

Side question: anyone know where I can buy the bumper filler pre-painted? I cracked the passenger side and center (along with the bumper cover) in a fender bender, and need to replace them before installing a TJM bumper. Looks like lexusparts.com has them unpainted, but getting them sprayed seems like a pain (though maybe I can do it myself given that they aren't that big or noticeable...).

Last edited:
Try ebay, salvage sites, etc.

I ordered paint from touchup.com or something and sprayed mine. The color match isn't perfect, but it's behind and ARB and I don't see colors all that well anyway.

Side question: anyone know where I can buy the bumper filler pre-painted? I cracked the passenger side and center (along with the bumper cover) in a fender bender, and need to replace them before installing a TJM bumper. Looks like lexusparts.com has them unpainted, but getting them sprayed seems like a pain (though maybe I can do it myself given that they aren't that big or noticeable...).

They are not available pre painted... I cracked mine during removal. I had a bodyshop paint the new ones.
Both the center and filler pieces are a pain. I found that spraying WD 40 or PB Blaster on the plastic cups that secure the pins/legs and getting a clip removal tool right on the clip helps. The two pin locations under the lights and as others have stated the center has to be removed first

CDB22A1B-F3AF-4965-AC15-90DE55F5FB46.jpeg

In case it’s helpful to anyone: this is what the legs on either end of the center filler panel look like (panel is upside down in the photo). Once you pop up the top clips, the center panel pulls straight forward, away from the engine. The yellow (female) connector sits in the end of each side filler panel, then a black (male) clip attached to the center filler panel snaps into the yellow.

BE43F213-1849-4F88-985B-A875D77FC6B2.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom