TJM 30mm heavy duty rear swaybar touching lower control arm bolt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang

I recently upgraded to TJM rear sway bar and so far love it, it’s amazing upgrade for the road. However today as I was installing rear shock by lifting the body the swaybar would contact the lower control arm bolt. I have a 2 inch lift and have not extended my sway bar link yet but not sure if that 2 inch extension would solve the contact issue. Any thoughts? Anyone else had this issue? @LCphil?

95BE6DD6-7052-47BF-AA66-7B526BE6E0EE.jpeg

Lower the swaybar end by an inch or two and see if that is enuff to clear it. OR, see if you can move it sidways and center it up so it clears that bolt on both LCAs.

Lower the swaybar end by an inch or two and see if that is enuff to clear it. OR, see if you can move it sidways and center it up so it clears that bolt on both LCAs.

Didn’t think about the centering part, will check tomorrow. Thanks!

Unfortunately both sides look about the same so I really need to upgrade my sway bar link. I never took a picture of the stock swaybars and wonder it would look different/more slearance.

Hey gang

I recently upgraded to TJM rear sway bar and so far love it, it’s amazing upgrade for the road. However today as I was installing rear shock by lifting the body the swaybar would contact the lower control arm bolt. I have a 2 inch lift and have not extended my sway bar link yet but not sure if that 2 inch extension would solve the contact issue. Any thoughts? Anyone else had this issue? @LCphil?

View attachment 1709017

My rear swaybar links are sized for my lift (linked below) with no bolt contact

What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend?

I have the same issue with the stock sway bar. Can't imagine it's bent since it still looks to be the same side to side. Currently still have the Slee rear sway bar drop brackets and the sway bar made contact when I had 6" springs and still does with 2" springs so I think it has as much to do with shock size as lift.

I'm not convinced the proper amount of "lowering of the link for the lift" or shock size will fix the issue. It does have a lot of side to side play with just enough clearance to clear both LCA bolts. However, it moves side to side very easily and hits the LCA bolts and limits droop when one side is extended and the other side is stuffed; and when both sides are extended=high speed. I can't think of a way to keep it completely centered.

What did you end up doing to solve this @Qball ?

And another question: @landtank @LandCruiserPhil I have about 7.75" of drop from frame to eye bolt in the sway bar. How far can you extend your HD links from frame bracket to sway bar eye bolt before it safely maxes out? Mine looks like I would need ~12" to get the sway bar back to parallel(ish).

@Jason Andrews my ext rear link has a length of 7" from the center of the sway bar eye to top of the bottom bushing at the frame bracket. Not sure how that equates to your question but it's the only concrete measurement I have. People have extended my extended links as it's not hard to do.

The link uses a 7" 3/8-16 bolt that runs through the center of a tube and holds the cushions in place. So to further extend the link you would use a longer bolt and add a section of tubing. At one point I had some 2" sections of tubing for that and 9" bolts.

I have the same issue with the stock sway bar. Can't imagine it's bent since it still looks to be the same side to side. Currently still have the Slee rear sway bar drop brackets and the sway bar made contact when I had 6" springs and still does with 2" springs so I think it has as much to do with shock size as lift.

I'm not convinced the proper amount of "lowering of the link for the lift" or shock size will fix the issue. It does have a lot of side to side play with just enough clearance to clear both LCA bolts. However, it moves side to side very easily and hits the LCA bolts and limits droop when one side is extended and the other side is stuffed; and when both sides are extended=high speed. I can't think of a way to keep it completely centered.

What did you end up doing to solve this @Qball ?

And another question: @landtank @LandCruiserPhil I have about 7.75" of drop from frame to eye bolt in the sway bar. How far can you extend your HD links from frame bracket to sway bar eye bolt before it safely maxes out? Mine looks like I would need ~12" to get the sway bar back to parallel(ish).

Our Severe Duty Rear Links will work and are used on a stock Land Cruiser all the way to highly modified without issue. If you feel you need more we can supply you with any length you feel you need.
77FEC744-8F35-4075-864A-E6CD676FE8CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you. That's the size I need! Will be ordering them soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom