Looking at this FJ55 this weekend,,,any thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brooklyn

SILVER Star
Threads
1970 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ-55 FJ55 RARE 86K MILES RESTORED 4x4!

Talked with the seller and he is not a land cruiser guy. He buys and sells cars and said he has had his one about three years as a around town driver. Really couldn't provide any details, just that it runs good. Ask about highway handling and he said never really takes in on the highway, but when he did 60mph was about all he felt it was ready for.

Any things you see that should cause me concern? Thanks,

Red flags went up as I read the part about not being a cruiser guy and not being able to provide details...

Yet, here you are and I wouldn't discouraged you from looking because that don't cost anything besides time and gas.

I spent 4.5 years resto-mod mine and looking back, it's the rust that is so discouraging - mechanical and electrical issues will will steal your money but rust will steal your soul.

I looked at five Fj55s before I pulled the trigger on mine. There was no engine and it was rusty - but far and away less rusty than the other four.

One thing to look at tomorrow would be the front axle - are they puking grease/oil from the ends? If so, you're looking at a large, very messy job that will take several days if youvyo never done it before. Should cost you about $400-500 to do it all btyoby your. I'm told cost at local shop runs $1200 to $1500.

If this is your first FJ55, I'd recommend looking at as many as possible which may be difficult as not too many left.

Good luck

Looks nice, real nice. I would take someone who knows how to detect putty, at the least a magnet. Look for any rust repair, some will be there just would like to know how much. You should know all the basic stuff. Rust in the roof gutter, lower front fenders, rockers and rear lower body panels. Check under the mats, too.

Good luck

Any things you see that should cause me concern? Thanks,
Great looking Pig from the photos, good luck that's a good price if it’s as good as it looks.

Looks like filler around that rear marker light on the DS, not a big deal so long as it’s not covering rust.

Sure looks like it is/was a bad leaker from the steering gear, also I’m no expert but I don’t think that’s a 2f.

Sure is a looker though! Good luck and let us know...

I figured this would pop up here. So this truck was for sale in the Pittsburgh area about 4 years ago. It was a Cali truck but had a huge dent in the roof and rust issues around the rear reflectors and other spots. It sold for $2K to a guy in NJ. This guy held it for a few years and when 55s went crazy last year, it sold on eBay for about $14K to a guy in Delaware. The seller in NJ did a good job taking photos and not disclosing everything about the truck. The guy in DE threw up in his mouth when it arrived. He said it didn’t even have working brakes and it wouldn’t run. It was for sale in DE for the last yearish until a few months ago. The last price I saw was $7900 or thereabouts. So whether this truck went to Maine or not, I don’t know but that is some fresh paint. I’m doubting the rust was dealt with properly. There was a ton of surf stickers under the rear seat. There wasn’t a photo of the seat up. Be very cautious of rust that has been hidden.

in searching his YouTube name, he has videos of a few other cars and trucks. Most have been freshly painted. Will take a look at it even it’s just for educational value as this would be the first FJ55 for me.

Thanks for all the insights.

The paint job looks like the kind that hides a lot of scary stuff. The underneath pics show a lot of deferred maintenance.

Deferred maintenance can suck up a chunk of change plus time, now your at 20K.

Pigs are worthy of love, attention and $, but staring at $16 with a blind paint job is a lot of love for a pig.

Hope you wife loves:bounce: you a lot

He says factory 2f, but it should be an f (or 1f) for that year. They have said above that it is the f motor which I would look at as a good thing.
Interior doesn’t look factory (unless you guys got som3 funky interiors over there). Dash looks a little hammered too.
But as said above, it all comes down to the statement of “rust free”. It’s a bit of an oxymoron reallywhen it comes to pigs. If it’s been re sprayed as good as he is saying, with all new rubbers, felts etc. then I would say it’s probably worth it. Would cost that much to do body work and rubbers on mine.... at least.
Have a look, if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck (or pig) then it’s probably ducked.
The underside looks like mine, but that’s just build in rust prevention.... until ican afford to throw a heap of money at it.

That FJ55 is hiding a lot and was in Delaware up until a couple of months ago like Glen said. The seller saying he has owned it for 3 years is a lie and already shows what kind of person your dealing with. The roof looked like a dead body had fallen on it and was completely caved in and the head liner looks the same way it did months ago, so not sure what he did to correct the roof. Good luck with your search

looks like some rust on the firewall
must have an electric fuel pump, the way it's routed and the preasure regulator
missing some of the chrome trim rings around lenses in the rear
not sure what the thing is next to the battery??
it would be a late 1970 vintage as it has dual circuit power brakes
it is a 1F looking at the pics
not sure what the extra skidplate? is between the transfer and rear axle

While I haven't connected with the seller on this rig yet, I did talk with a local FJ55 owner and he confirmed that the FJ55 is not being represented correctly. Basically, what I was told is that the seller mistakes the history and paints over issues.

Still may look at it if I can coordinate with the seller.

My first pig purchase looked like that, until it sat outside for 6 months. Rust, rust ,rust. fresh paint hides a lot of sin

My wife bought my pig as a surprise gift, so she didn't see what we all might have seen - but I would be very concerned about this truck at that price. . Agree with the experts above about a fresh paint job hiding a lot of sins. My truck has new paint but i'll probably be removing it all and going back to stock color in a few years when I want to really deal with the more extensive issues. My pig looks amazing from across the street, but I'm tackling frame rust issues and all kinds of hidden fun that the previous owner/flipper didn't handle properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom