New AT and Transfer skid plates/ armor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered the armor from Asfir it took them 6 weeks to manufacture the 2 kits.

The kits were mounted by Asfir and they were very well packed with all the hardware needed

Installation was bolted on and simple. The only thing is that was wrong were the service holes for oil change were not in the correct place. So I am made them remove it from the rig and make new holes in the correct place.

I have only the before pics since they have a very beautiful girl in the reception (don't tell my wife) so when I went to pay I got stuck in a long conversation and coffee about do you really need 110V AC on the rig or not I remembered a thread here on MUD with very good arguments in favor of 110V for the operation of the Magic Wand. She liked the Arguments so much so she asked to come with me on the next trip.

When I finished the conversation the rig was parked ready to go

Next time its on the lift i will post the after pics

Photo 17-04-2018, 14 21 56.jpg
Photo 17-04-2018, 14 22 06.jpg
Photo 17-04-2018, 14 23 47.jpg
Photo 17-04-2018, 14 26 09.jpg
Photo 17-04-2018, 14 27 49.jpg

Any after pics yet? I'm quite curious about how the cross-member bolts in for the T-case skid.

Thanks,
Andrew

I ordered the armor from Asfir it took them 6 weeks to manufacture the 2 kits.

The kits were mounted by Asfir and they were very well packed with all the hardware needed

Installation was bolted on and simple. The only thing is that was wrong were the service holes for oil change were not in the correct place. So I am made them remove it from the rig and make new holes in the correct place.

I have only the before pics since they have a very beautiful girl in the reception (don't tell my wife) so when I went to pay I got stuck in a long conversation and coffee about do you really need 110V AC on the rig or not I remembered a thread here on MUD with very good arguments in favor of 110V for the operation of the Magic Wand. She liked the Arguments so much so she asked to come with me on the next trip.

When I finished the conversation the rig was parked ready to go

Next time its on the lift i will post the after pics

View attachment 1682341 View attachment 1682342 View attachment 1682343 View attachment 1682344 View attachment 1682345

I've seen these skid plates before on an 80. They are a good option. Last I checked Asfir products were hard to find for an 80 series especially in the US. Who is selling these now?

I've seen these skid plates before on an 80. They are a good option. Last I checked Asfir products were hard to find for an 80 series especially in the US. Who is selling these now?

IIRC Desert Rat is the local dealer, doubt that they stock anything for the '80, would need to be ordered. If the plan includes hard use, there are better options, rocks tend to mangle them quicker than steel.

So just to clarify.
Are those aluminum?
They merely bolt on over the stock cross members so there is no gain in clearance?

I am curious. I'm not a structural expert or materials expert. It seems to me aluminum is not up for task of being a skid plate. I know my IPOR plate is made from very thick steel, much thicker than that plate's aluminum. I've bashed that thing hard and it does what it is suppose to do. Not sure that these would fare as well. Again, not and expert and would love to hear others who are more knowledgeable chime in. I can see these as protection from rocks and other object bouncing up into the undercarriage, just not as a true skid plate.

Everything has it's pros and cons. For a vehicle that is used on difficult rocky trails a lot for rock crawling and needs to drag through rocks or support the vehicle aluminum is maybe not a good choice. However for protection of occasional rocks, logs, etc for a vehicle used in less extreme circumstances I think 1/4" aluminum is more than enough and should be a good amount lighter too. More options is always a good thing and I was impressed with these on the 80 I saw them under.

Edit, fyi Asfir has these on sale currently.
TOYOTA Land Cruiser 80 - Skid Plates

Last edited:
Aluminum skids are extremely common on rock crawlers so I don't think it's as simple as one being better than the other. Many different types of aluminum alloy also.

Does anyone have experience with ASFIR skid plates. Made of aluminum and seem to be ok for less than serious rock crawling. Would they be a good choice of normal off-roading?

I am interested and might purchase the three pieces for my LX450.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated and help me make a decision.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom