GX 470 Storage Solution Idea - Does something like this already exist? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been thinking of things that I can do to my GX with my limited budget, and one of my ideas is to make removable, locking storage units based on the 3rd row seat frames. Ideally, they'd come in at around the same size as the seats themselves, and would consist of two separate, folding compartments and would still be able to fold up out of the way like the stock seats. So, does anything like this exist already? And if not, would there be any interest for them?

I have thought about something like this myself but for it to stay up in the vertical position. My thoughts were to have a sheet metal box built with a rod on it to clip into the seat release and then have a plate on the top that could be screwed in replacing the grab handle. And this sheet metal box could hold a Front Runner storage box or maybe even two?

front-runner-wolf-pack-SBOX008-1.jpg

I have thought about something like this myself but for it to stay up in the vertical position. My thoughts were to have a sheet metal box built with a rod on it to clip into the seat release and then have a plate on the top that could be screwed in replacing the grab handle. And this sheet metal box could hold a Front Runner storage box or maybe even two?

front-runner-wolf-pack-SBOX008-1.jpg
I have don't have a ton of experience working with metal, so it would likely just be sturdy plywood shells with good hardware. And I have a dog so I'd rather them be able to fold up. Also, I was thinking using seat frames because I'd want the floor releases too. I dunno though, I'm sure your idea would work too and I'd love to see if anything ever comes of it.

A guy in the Facebook group recently mentioned a platform/storage shelf idea that locks into the place using the 3rd row seat connectors. It divides the cargo area horizontally so items can be stored below the platform and of course above it.

Using the pivot mounts on each side

A piece of 1/2”(or whatever size it is) round bar as long as what the seats have. Weld that into a hole on a section of flat stock, or even angle iron, (say 3/4”) that runs across to the other side to another piece of round bar. Drill some holes in it to mount a piece of plywood or even some 1” finished board. Mount whatever box you want to the top of the board.

Same idea with the round bar but angled down tight on the sides so that it runs across at floor height.

I’m liking this idea and may try to do this myself. Seems like it’d be a solid latch down of most any box fixed to it. I can’t weld, but I know some people who can. I can cut and drill holes on my own and just have them run a bead where there needs to be one. Any body shop would have a wire feed welding machine and would likely do this for $10-20 cash when you drive up and explain how easy it’d be for some beer money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom