A Salty GX 470 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I've been posting a bit around the forum for the last few weeks, and now that I've purchased a GX 470, I am going to make my own build thread. Thank you ahead of time to everyone's help. Please give your input/advice on things I'm doing/should do! All criticism is welcome. I am by no means a mechanic. Anything I do on my own, I've done by learning from Youtube.

11/16/23 - Purchased a 2006 GX 470 in Titanium Silver Metallic (1D4 color code) for $6,800. 188k mi. Bought in Baltimore, drove it back up home to Albany, NY. The drive home was great - engine and transmission felt superb. Slapped some dead NY plates from a previous car, put it on my insurance, and drove it back.

There was little to no vehicle history from 61k - 171k on the carfax. Last owner had it from 130k~171k.

Things I know that have been done in the last 18 months by previous owner:

- new alternator
- new starter
- brakes/rotors
- new Falken Wildpeaks 265/70R/17

I don't plan on building anything "true" off-road.. this is my fly fishing "fun" vehicle though to get me down some easy/moderate jeep trails. Here's my plans:

- 2" lift
- new wheels
- rock sliders
- new lights
- wheel carrier
- swap front/rear bumper
- new aFe exhaust system (maybe)
- various interior replacements

Here's the day I got it:

_image000000_.jpg

_image000001_.jpg

PXL_20231117_212703615.jpg

11/21/23

Brought the GX into Toyota and had the following replaced:

- timing belt
- water pump
- serp belt
- cam & crank seals
- radiator
- transmission lines running to radiator
- seized e-brake lines
- synthetic oil change
- NYS inspection

11/24/23

Ordered some stuff since it was black friday. I read somewhere that people said to "start from the ground up" when it comes to buying stuff. So wheels & rock sliders are first.

- Black Rhino CHAMBER wheels (17x8.5 0 offset)
- JW Offroad DIY Rock Sliders
- WeatherTech mats for fronts, backseats, and trunk
- Upholstered Arm Rest Covers for the cracked leather front seats
- Crossroads3D Cup Holders since we all know the GX 470 cup holders suck

11/25/23

Today I replaced some of my door speakers. The speakers in the GX were definitely blown; little to no sound on the 6" lower door speakers. Went with some inexpensive Kickers because I don't entirely care about high quality sound for this vehicle. Plus they come with the mounting brackets needed to fit in the GX.

PXL_20231123_145138860.jpg

Speakers blown as I suspected. Out with the old & in with the new!

IMG_20231125_151001.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've been posting a bit around the forum for the last few weeks, and now that I've purchased a GX 470, I am going to make my own build thread. Thank you ahead of time to everyone's help. Please give your input/advice on things I'm doing/should do! All criticism is welcome. I am by no means a mechanic. Anything I do on my own, I've done by learning from Youtube.

11/16/23 - Purchased a 2006 GX 470 in Titanium Silver Metallic (1D4 color code) for $6,800. 188k mi. Bought in Baltimore, drove it back up home to Albany, NY. The drive home was great - engine and transmission felt superb. Slapped some dead NY plates from a previous car, put it on my insurance, and drove it back.

There was little to no vehicle history from 61k - 171k on the carfax. Last owner had it from 130k~171k.

Things I know that have been done in the last 18 months by previous owner:

- new alternator
- new starter
- brakes/rotors
- new Falken Wildpeaks 265/70R/17

I don't plan on building anything "true" off-road.. this is my fly fishing "fun" vehicle though to get me down some easy/moderate jeep trails. Here's my plans:

- 2" lift
- new wheels
- rock sliders
- new lights
- wheel carrier
- swap front/rear bumper
- new aFe exhaust system (maybe)
- various interior replacements

Here's the day I got it:

View attachment 3490803

View attachment 3490804

View attachment 3490809

View attachment 3490802
I am guessing since there are no records during the critical timing belt replacement period it has not been done. I would look at that first before spending money elsewhere. You will want to change the water pump at the same time. The job is pretty extensive and you will get fresh fluids in your radiator lol because the front of the vehicle needs to be deconstructed. I just got my 06 a couple of months ago with about the same miles. I love it so far but it certainly has its quirks! If you are not using it for a regular offroad vehicle, you might want to consider nerf bars as they are much cheaper. Under $200 vs over $800. You already have the awful huge running boards gone so it should be a pretty quick job. I purchased mine from RealTruck. They do not offer them for GX470, just get the ones for 4th gen 4Runner and they bolt right up!

I am guessing since there are no records during the critical timing belt replacement period it has not been done. I would look at that first before spending money elsewhere. You will want to change the water pump at the same time. The job is pretty extensive and you will get fresh fluids in your radiator lol because the front of the vehicle needs to be deconstructed. I just got my 06 a couple of months ago with about the same miles. I love it so far but it certainly has its quirks! If you are not using it for a regular offroad vehicle, you might want to consider nerf bars as they are much cheaper. Under $200 vs over $800. You already have the awful huge running boards gone so it should be a pretty quick job. I purchased mine from RealTruck. They do not offer them for GX470, just get the ones for 4th gen 4Runner and they bolt right up!
I actually got a ton of work done already including the timing belt, water pump, serp belt, radiator replacement, and some seals replaced! Updating my first post soon with this info.

For running boards, I just ordered the JW Offroad DIY weld kit. My friend who is a welder is planning to do them, and I plan to spray truck bed liner as a coating.

Been a while since I've posted; I've been super busy. Recently upgraded my headlights to black gloss housing headlights from USR.

Whole front end pulled

PXL_20231217_195919300.MP.jpg

Bracket snapped... Need to glue this back together.

PXL_20231217_195615259.jpg

New!

PXL_20231217_203254234.jpg

PXL_20231217_203317460.jpg

Also did the tail lights. Could not get one of the rear lights to seat properly, but after I opened the screw hole a bit more for attachment, it worked.

PXL_20231215_163704497.jpg

Might as well clean this area out now while it's exposed!

Note that the plastic tab circled in red (old light) does not come on the new lights.

PXL_20231215_163651667.MP.jpg

PXL_20231217_223239220.jpg

Done! Here she is in the rain. Starting to come together!

How do you rate the headlights? Do they appear to be customized OEMs?

Lookin' good!

Agree, that looks so much better! I'd also suggest some plasti-dip on the rear molding above the license plate, along with your grille.

How do you rate the headlights? Do they appear to be customized OEMs?

Lookin' good!
For the most part yes. I don't know headlights very well but these were very simple to hook up, and all the OEM wiring harnesses/bulb ports fit right into these ones. I upgraded to Auxito LED's from the headlights too they work great. Way easier than the tail lights, I'll give you that lol.

Finally had some free time today to do my power steering. Originally was just going to pull fluid and replace, drive around, rinse and repeat. But I noticed how dirty the reservoir was (that's an empty reservoir in my hand.. just completely dirty) so I replaced it. $100 at AutoZone, $45 for 4 qts of Valvoline Dex III ATF. Drives much smoother now!

Rock sliders getting installed Thursday so I'll update then!

1000006379.jpg

Finally installed the JW Offroad rock sliders I purchased last fall. My friend took forever to find some free time (and not below freezing) to get into their shop to weld the kit. Finished them in Raptor bedliner. Took 5 cans and just made it.

PXL_20240405_131829466.jpg

PXL_20240405_222034754.jpg

If you have an old GX like me, you absolutely need to re-tap the frame threads with an 8mm x 1.25 or 1.5 tap. Lots of lubricant as well.

PXL_20240408_135456866.MP.jpg

All done! Quite a hassle on your own, but my car jack helped hold up one side of the sliders, while I moved up the other side by hand.

PXL_20240408_151212445.MP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom