DIY: Third row storage solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I removed my 3rd row seats and put them in storage, figured I have 5+ years before our oldest nugget is large enough to sit back there without a car seat, and gives our Great Dane some extra room back there without them. I was also pretty surprised at the lack of storage space in the rear of the GX. Im also a member of the GXOR FB group, and have seen a couple others do this before me - I just made some tweaks for my setup.

*Im not responsible for any DIY disasters ;) *

Hardware wise, this can be accomplished from Amazon for ~$40 + the cost of storage containers you choose to use. I also went to my local Ace Hardware and spent $33 in nuts/bolts/washers/steel sleeves - this was mainly to satisfy my OCD to use all black hardware (I could have use rando stuff laying around the garage, and im sure that would be fine so some.. but it would bug me lol).

Harbor Freight recently had a big sale (like they always do) and I picked up 2 of their Apache 4800 cases (largest ones they offer other than the long pewpew case).
Affiliate Amazon links to the products I personally used for this project:
1.5" x 48" flat bar: Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/49bv9Yp
Chrome plated rods: Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/3u6Cg5k
1" straps: Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/48Jqc9t

All this can be done with simple hand tools, but some power tools will make it a lot faster.

I took the 48" flat bar and used a cutoff wheel to cut it in half, giving me two 24" pieces.
I marked the center point vertically and horizontally (did it now so it was easier than later) of both pieces, along with the center of the rods. Once centers were lined up, I could make some dotted lines to know where I want to put 90 degree bends on the flat bar.
1706201693351.png

I threw them in my vise and used a torch to heat the metal up a bit, just to make it slightly easier to bend over - can do without heat, just more muscle work ;)
1706201781430.png

After both sides (on both bars) were bent, I did a test fit to make sure the rod fit between nicely - good to go.
1706201835180.png

Threw them in the drill press so I can get a bolt through into the rods
1706201906747.png

Next it was time for the placement of the bars in the Apache cases. I chose to put them higher up, so the boxes would sit/lay lower in the car. If you mounted the bar lower, it would sit at a higher angle in the car, but would suck up closer to the side of the car when folded up.

I just used the bars and set them where I wanted them to come out, and traced around with a fine tip pen.
1706202066828.png

Pulled out the Dremel and cut those slots out of the cases.

Next was to test fit the bars and rods

From inside the case
1706202247210.png

Exterior
1706202263832.png

With the bar inside the case, I figured where I could safely drill some holes so get some bolts through. This is why I marked the horizontal center prior to bending the bar - so i can have level holes drilled.

Drilled, nuts/bolts/washers installed
1706202350068.png

The extra Ace Hardware sleeves on the rod. These act as spacers when the rod is installed. Probably not really necessary, but im crazy haha.
1706202418113.png

Test fit in the car - sleeves/spacers are on the outside of the cars' latching system for the 3rd row seats.
1706202485489.png

Both boxes in, laying down
1706202508369.png

The 1" strap is used like the OEM 3rd row seats, so you can hang them up and unbuckle when you want to bring them down.
1706202556896.png

Thats it!

I still need to sew the straps to the correct length I want. Im also wanting to powdercoat the flat bar to match the cases. If quotes for PC are more than im willing to spend on something small/silly like that, ill just paint the bars black and call it a day!

This is Very Creative. I'm thinking of Doing 4-5 Milk Crates (one at each Corner) and Filling them with Stuff and using them to Support a Piece of 1/2 Ply Cut to about the Size of the Black Mat you show. Can Stack below and on Top. When arriving Throw the Plywood on The Roof Rack and use what is in the Crates.
Could Fill in Between the Crates too.
Maybe I will just make a drawer Assembly and be Done. Only thing is I occasionally use the Seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom