Help needed for RTT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking at RTT for a while now and I am getting ready to pull the trigger. I have narrowed it down to (2) so far. (unless someone has input).
1) 23Zero- Bundaburg $1999
2)Tuff Stuff- Ranger $1299

They both look good but there is a $700 difference :wideyed: I ready like the 23Zero and have read some great reviews about costumer service. I can't really find anything on quality. I have seen a youtube video a guy did on the Tuff Stuff and he had good and bad about the tent. one bad was on the stitching tape coming loose which i worry about quality.

Does anyone have experience with either of these two tents or can recommend a tent they are happy with and why. RTT cost a lot and want to make sure I get something worth while that will last.

Thanks for your help guys.

I have the TuffStuff and this will be my 2nd year on it. My family and I used it quite a bit last year, and it's been thru a lot of weather with the exception of snow (camped on it on spring and fall). The quality is good for the price and the annex addition is a plus for us in extending our camping season. The materials are the same as the pricier options and with that it seems to have the same issues as the pricier tent (of the same design) for better or for worse. it does appear they're just built of a single manufacturer. In fact, i just got new set of mounting rails for my tent from CVT (cheaper and available) -- same exact rail.

Customer Service was fine, i.e. they communicated great discussing the shipping facts about these bulky items. I didn't have any issues with the tent so I havent' had to deal with them afterwards.

I also looked into 23Zero because I like the color. The TuffStuff looks not exciting at all -- not to mention that "TuffStuff" logo :), but who cares, i only put my tent up when it's already dark :).

Awesome, Thank you for the feed back. How is the mattress? does it hold up? I read somewhere that the mattress seems to flatten out over time (not Tuff Stuff but in general)

I have no doubt it will, the mattress are just some foam material, doesn't appear to be high-grade -- so it's definitely one area that can benefit upgrading. It has held up so far for us -- and has not bothered us. But when it comes to mattresses, it truly is YMMV.

The TuffStuff is on the low end in terms of quality both in materials and in fit and finish. This is the reason for the lower cost. Most likely the cost savings are in things like the mattress quality, the construction of the base (even if it looks identical to other brands), the size of the bows inside, the quality of the canopy material is a big one and also the quality of the seams and waterproofing. They can be hit or miss with quality because another area where lower cost brands save money is on QC. Fewer and less stringent testing/checks for quality saves them money.

You've probably looked at them already but I'd suggest Tepui. They will be at or near the top in terms of quality, materials and workmanship. Yes it means they are more expensive but its an item that is pretty expensive even when you go cheap. I'd rather spend that kind of money that I will get my money's worth from and the cheaper tents will leave you wanting. One other nice thing about the Tepui is it could be the last tent you ever buy. They're patented zipper gimp is standard on all their tents and lets you change the canopy in about 90 seconds. The base and frame are very sturdy and are unlikely to need to be replaced ever. With other brands once the canopy wears out you'll likely need to replace the whole tent. With the Tepui, you don't need to spend the same money for an entirely new tent since you can just replace the canopy for much less. It also means you can have different canopies for different conditions and climates without needing multiple tents. You can have a lightweight canopy for summer and one of their Ruggedized canopies for colder weather and swap them out in a matter of minutes.

You may have already made up your mind, but in case you haven't, take a look at the Tepui tents. I offer 10% off on Tepui products for all MUD members so that can save you a couple hundred bucks. Happy to help if you need it.

I have run a Tuff stuff for several years now. It is close to the same quality as the tepui that my friend uses. Would i say its slightly less? Yes but not enough to make me wish i had spent more money. Main reason i went with Tuff stuff was i used American express points to purchase. The only issues i have had are the tent wanting to move on the base where the tent slides into the base slots. Have to watch that every so many openings as it wants to walk out a little bit. I added a tempurpedic mattress topper to mine as have most of the other folks i have run with. Makes for a much more comfy sleep.

The only stitching problem i have encountered is on the straps on the cover. The velcro is staring to come apart. That is common with lots of manufactures.

I am happy and would buy again. If it was close i would have gone with tepui but with annex room mine was $1150 and its good.

I agree that it looks like its made in the same China plant as the others.

Just to ease your mind, other than when its in the travel case that says tuff stuff, no-one is ever going to walk up as note that you have a "cheaper" tent.

I am also usually a stickler for quality name brands. Lots of MSR, yeti, arb, and oz tent products. I purchased this with points or i most likely would have gone name brand but now that i have it I'm very satisfied.

Just to ease your mind, other than when its in the travel case that says tuff stuff, no-one is ever going to walk up as note that you have a "cheaper" tent.

Advantage of being "cheap", that Tuff Stuff branding can be erased. Found out when i was cleaning the cover. I plan to fully erase mine since i generally don't like brand advertising plus it just looks ugly.

I remember it was free shipping when i got mine, that sealed the deal for me. I do personally have the propensity to take gambles on my purchases -- sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. In the end, it really worked out well for me -- i.e. to sleep my family. The soft tent will go away once the kids are on their own :).

OP, Good luck in your search of RTT!

Just to clear up one other thing that many are confused about. There are literally dozens of Chinese factories making tents. The Chinese are notorious for knockoffs, even of their own stuff. Just because many tents look the same, it doesn't mean they came from the same factory, in fact its unlikely. Because of so many different manufacturers and where they source their materials, this is why there is such a wide range of quality in materials like canopy material not only in thickness, but thread count and stitching. These cariable carry over into other aspects of each tent.

Anyway, don't fall into the trap of believing they all come from the same factory. Funny story, most here know that I sell Tepui tents. Because of this I'm familiar with any other companies that are also using the factories Tepui use. I regularly get email solicitations from Chinese manufacturers wanting me to carry/sell their tents and often they will say they are made in the same place as Tepui tents, which I know is completely false.

Some are just fine going with cheaper brands, and that's up to how an individual wants to spend their money. Totally get it. Just go in with your eyes open about what you're getting and understand that there may be some significant compromises to the one you choose.

One other suggestion, I'd suggest looking into the history of the company. How long have they been around? What's their track record? There are new "me-too" tent companies popping up almost weekly. Many of them are a few buddies that pool their money together to get a half dozen tents to turn around and sell and hopefully make enough to bring in a few more. Often it doesn't work out like they plan and the companies can disappear as quickly as they show up. Choosing an established and proven brand will serve you better in the long run if you ever need to make a warranty claim, or order spare parts. Those new startups may have some good prices on the few tents they brought over but do they have the means to warranty what they are selling and do they have spare parts on hand if you need it? Most common things that need to be replaced are travel covers and straps.

Best of luck with your shopping.

Just to clear up one other thing that many are confused about. There are literally dozens of Chinese factories making tents. The Chinese are notorious for knockoffs, even of their own stuff. Just because many tents look the same, it doesn't mean they came from the same factory, in fact its unlikely. Because of so many different manufacturers and where they source their materials, this is why there is such a wide range of quality in materials like canopy material not only in thickness, but thread count and stitching. These cariable carry over into other aspects of each tent.

Anyway, don't fall into the trap of believing they all come from the same factory. Funny story, most here know that I sell Tepui tents. Because of this I'm familiar with any other companies that are also using the factories Tepui use. I regularly get email solicitations from Chinese manufacturers wanting me to carry/sell their tents and often they will say they are made in the same place as Tepui tents, which I know is completely false.

Some are just fine going with cheaper brands, and that's up to how an individual wants to spend their money. Totally get it. Just go in with your eyes open about what you're getting and understand that there may be some significant compromises to the one you choose.

One other suggestion, I'd suggest looking into the history of the company. How long have they been around? What's their track record? There are new "me-too" tent companies popping up almost weekly. Many of them are a few buddies that pool their money together to get a half dozen tents to turn around and sell and hopefully make enough to bring in a few more. Often it doesn't work out like they plan and the companies can disappear as quickly as they show up. Choosing an established and proven brand will serve you better in the long run if you ever need to make a warranty claim, or order spare parts. Those new startups may have some good prices on the few tents they brought over but do they have the means to warranty what they are selling and do they have spare parts on hand if you need it? Most common things that need to be replaced are travel covers and straps.

Best of luck with your shopping.

So what do you think of 23Zero vs TuffStuff? Easily $700 price difference?

I agree with everything @boxrocket said. But in answer to the question of the tuffstuff tent, I am perfectly happy with the end product and can not see $700 in value vs my friends tepui. I can't answer for any of the other brands

I agree with everything @boxrocket said. But in answer to the question of the tuffstuff tent, I am perfectly happy with the end product and can not see $700 in value vs my friends tepui. I can't answer for any of the other brands
Comparing a TuffStuff to a Standard Tepui (they would be the closest comparison) would be up to the individual to decide if the cost difference is worth it or not. Personally, seeing them side by side you can see and feel the differences. The quality of the waterproofing and taped seams comes to mind. Also, TuffStuff is such a big brand with a wide range of different products, the tents are just one more item on their menu. Theres little motivation for them to improve or update the product and the customer care is mediocre at best as their employees are likely less familiar with a single product in a vast menu of products. Whereas Tepui is all about Tents. It's what they do. Their attention to details is important because the tents are their bread and butter. Their customer care is critical and they know it which is why they have such excellent reviews for customer service. If you had a problem with a Tepui tent, they would do everything possible to make it right because that's their image. A Tuffstuff (or Smittybuilt) may not have that same motivation since the tent is what it is.

One feature that differentiates Tepui from all others and adds value is their zipper gimp that is a standard feature on all their tents. This feature means a Tepui could be the last tent you ever buy and it will last a lifetime. It's unlikely that the base and internal frame are going to wear out anytime soon. However, the soft materials are eventually going to need to be replaced, even if it's 15 years down the road. The zipper gimp lets you unzip the canopy and replace it with a new one in about 90 seconds. It also allows you to have a Ruggedized tent but also have one of their lightweight Baja Series canopies for warm weather camping that you can interchange just as fast without needing to have a second tent to accomplish the same thing. All of the Tepui canopies include the zipper gimp and can be swapped out for a different style canopy. Having just replaced the canopy on my own tent this past week and seeing this feature first hand I can tell you it's a game changer. Tepui was smart to patent the design.

Again, the value is going to be up to the individual. Yes I have some bias since I sell the Tepui products. However, I bought my Tepui before I ever thought about selling them and it would still be the one I'd buy.

So what do you think of 23Zero vs TuffStuff? Easily $700 price difference?
Personally, I think the 23zero is a better tent than the TuffStuff without question. $700 different? That's up to you.

Interestingly, there is a local Tepui dealer that has recently tried selling a few different brands of tents. These are some of the other very popular ones but I won't name brands. They haven't been able to sell the other brands without huge discounts and losing money on them. They told me everyone that comes in their store and sees the different tents all want a Tepui even though it may cost more. That says something to me.

There are a lot of tents out there. I'm not saying Tepui is the only answer for everyone. It's definitely not, but they have a great product. The best thing to do is look at as many different ones as you can (in person where you can touch and feel them if possible) and see which ones have the features you want most and is going to be the best long term investment.

Personally, I think the 23zero is a better tent than the TuffStuff without question. $700 different? That's up to you.

That's fair, I did strongly consider 23zero just because it looks better :D, maybe worth the $700 difference if I ask my wife. The Tepui I liked is the ruggedized version but it was priced out of my range and at that point, I only wanted to try an RTT out if it works for our setup, sell it if not. So that's where I am coming from, between the TuffStuff and the other generic tents, the price difference is quite considerable. I am simply providing evidence that the "cheap" price did not necessarily translate to junk quality which will hopefully give the OP a good gauge of what he needs to do. I am not saying that since I own one, i would happily give a bad review if deserved -- was never a brand fan type of guy, I like things that just work. I share my thoughts on it to provide more "online artifacts" for lesser known brands, as my contribution to the community.

But as you said, TuffStuff does not focus on RTTs. They did not have spare parts on hand (i needed new mounting rails to re-orient my tent), but the benefit of having a generic tent means I was able to get my parts from other generic tent vendors. That's something the OP should consider as well. Going for well-known brands give you the confidence that if any issue arises, they're a phone call away -- (Except for Gobi :D).

Check check out Roam Adventure Company, Vagabond 2 RTT. It comes nicely outfitted at the price point. Comes with telescopic ladder, and a lot of the construction comes in above the standard quality. I believe that price includes annex The Vagabond V2

IMG_2594.JPG

I didn't know we got 10% on Tepui! I was very close to buying the Ayer when REI ran their last big sale... but decided I need a covered entry on one of my tents at least. The telescopic ladder should be standard on all tents, the basic ladder is garbage.

To be fair....a few corrections and also adding the Ruggedized option from Tepui. ;)
RoamVSTepui2 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom