Swapping Lockers Into '94 Using '97 Wiring - Q's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have not solved my ABS issue. I changed out the ABS deceleration sensor under the shift console (actually I just plugged in the one out of my '96 parts truck) and no difference. ABS light is still on.

I can say that I was wrong early on when I said that the ABS pump was running. It is not and I believe the noise I was hearing was only the fuel system pumping up. I can also confirm that my shift lock is working fine. It recognizes my foot on the brake and will let me shift PRNDL. I have not switched out the ABS ECU. I may try that next.

One thing that I did find was that the pinouts for the ABS indicator in the plugs behind the instrument panel are different from '92 and '96 according to the '92 and '96 wiring diagrams. I don't have a wiring diagram for my '94 so I cannot confirm this. Perhaps there is a difference in the plugs at the driver kick panel that shows up at the back of the cluster, causing my ABS light to be on. Or maybe the whole ABS problem is due to the '94 ABS sensors being a slightly different spec than the '97's. The only other variable I have added into the equation is swapping the trailer wiring connections that connected to my floor harness in the passenger rear QP over to the new floor harness. I matched the wires color for color, so I would have thought it would work fine. Damifino. I guess I need to pull the trailer harness back off to eliminate a potential issue and get the ABS codes and see where this takes me.

Last edited:
I unhooked the trailer wiring and the ABS problem did not go away. There were no codes present when I did the paper clip jumper trick (OBD1) but ABS indicator stayed lit. I decided to disconnect the '97 harness and just lay my original '94 harness on top of the carpet and plug it back in to see if the ABS code would go away. It did. Obviously there is an issue with the '97 locker harness that I have. Either there is a short somewhere in the harness or the pinouts on the plugs don't jive with my ECU main harness. I'm sure whatever the issue is, it's likely an easy fix, but isolating the problem pin discrepancies will be very time consuming.

I made the decision to strip out the five locker wires from the '97 harness and pin them into my '94 floor harness. That way, I'll be running my original OBD1 harness. There will be no ABS light staring at me, and I will have connectivity from front to back for the locker. I have stripped the wires and re-pinned pinned them into my harness. I plan to simply bundle the five wires together, tape them up and lay them alongside the main floor harness as a separate bundle. Not my ideal solution, but it is a workable solution and I feel confident that it will prove to be issue free.

Locker harness has been stripped and five wires re-pinned into my original '94 harness. I have not installed the locking axles yet, but I expect that the lockers will work as they should when I do. ABS light is not lit. No codes present.

I had previously noted that my cold idle-up disappeared when I installed the '97 harness. Also, the shifter backlight did not illuminate. With the original harness back in, the shifter lights up as it should. Idle-up was still out this morning on my first start on my 25 mile trip to work. This afternoon it idled up like it is supposed to. All is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom