Can a 97 1FZ go into a 94 Cruiser? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have a 94 FZJ80 with a bad motor and a used motor out of a 97 based on what the VIN tells me, it came with the truck. I have seen some other threads saying there are differences between the two. The 97 motor we are planning on putting in does not have any accessories or intake on it, I was planning on swapping it from the 94 which is complete, just a toast engine block/cylinders. Im also not sure about the OBD1/2 and how that would work. Has anyone tried this or know if it is even possible? I don't want to go through all the work of pulling the engine to find it does not fit the transmission or something, which is the idea I was getting from some other threads.

I'm amazed that this isn't in the FAQ, it's come up so often.

Yes, you can put a later engine in an earlier truck; they're the same engine. The accessories on them are not the same, however, and that's where the work comes in. By accessories, I mean just about everything electrical.

You'll also need to figure out what you want to do with the PAIR circuit, since the later engines don't have it.

It's not impossible, but it's not like putting a '97 engine in a '95.

Crank position sensor will need to be addressed as well

...as I said, everything electrical

Somebody I talked to who restores cruisers said if I use the Head and everything else from the 94 and the block/bottom end from the 97 it should all go together. Sounds like it might work but not sure if it would line up with the transmission.

Somebody I talked to who restores cruisers said if I use the Head and everything else from the 94 and the block/bottom end from the 97 it should all go together. Sounds like it might work but not sure if it would line up with the transmission.
Dude. As previously stated - Mechanically, IT IS ALL THE SAME.

It will line up fine with the transmission. You don't need the "head from the 94" or anything else like that. The 1994 head is the same part number as the 1997 head. You are good to go as long as you have all your original electrical parts (wiring harness), PAIR, and EGR (assuming you are using it) from the 94.

The 95 and newer are OBDII engines, so they have different sensors, and a Mass Air Flow Meter, which the 94 does not have. The 94 draws its ignition signal from the Cam, whereas the 95 and newer draw it from a crank position sensor. Also, not an issue, since you aren't going to use the wiring harness from the 97. You don't even have to worry about splicing wires or plugging holes.

JUST BE SUPER CAREFUL WITH YOUR AIRFLOW METER.

They are gone, don't exist, and are super expensive to buy used if you can find one. They were 93-94 Landcruiser only, and if you look at the production numbers for those years with 1FZ, you can see why there are so few.

Seriously, though, otherwise it's cake.

I have a 94, with a 97-long block in it. I know of what I speak, though not even on the same planet as almost everyone who replied above.

One note: In my haste to be sarcastic, I didn't point out that the upper oil pans are slightly different physically. You can run it just like it is. Just zip-tie the pigtail for the sensor out of the way. However, you could also swap your 94 upper oil pan onto it while the engine is on the stand since you're going to replace the upper arch seal anyway right? The newer oil pan is NLA, so you can probably find a buyer for yours to recoup some of your cost. @OGBeno may know if the 94 is also NLA, I do not.

Last edited:
Dude. As previously stated - Mechanically, IT IS ALL THE SAME.

It will line up fine with the transmission. You don't need the "head from the 94" or anything else like that. The 1994 head is the same part number as the 1997 head. You are good to go as long as you have all your original electrical parts (wiring harness), PAIR, and EGR (assuming you are using it) from the 94.

The 95 and newer are OBDII engines, so they have different sensors, and a Mass Air Flow Meter, which the 94 does not have. The 94 draws its ignition signal from the Cam, whereas the 95 and newer draw it from a crank position sensor. Also, not an issue, since you aren't going to use the wiring harness from the 97. You don't even have to worry about splicing wires or plugging holes.

JUST BE SUPER CAREFUL WITH YOUR AIRFLOW METER.

They are gone, don't exist, and are super expensive to buy used if you can find one.

Seriously, it's cake.

I have a 94, with a 97-long block in it. I know of what I speak, though not even on the same planet as almost everyone who replied above.

One note: I didn't point out that the upper oil pans are different in my haste to be sarcastic. You can run it just like it is. Just zip-tie the pigtail for the sensor out of the way. BUT, you could also swap your 94 upper oil pan onto it while the engine is on the stand since you're going to replace the upper arch seal anyway right? The newer oil pan is NLA, so you can probably find a buy for yours to recoup some of your cost. @OGBeno may know if the 94 is also NLA, I do not.
Thank you very much this is exactly what I was looking for

Thank you very much this is exactly what I was looking for
Best of luck! Consider ordering the entire gasket kit ( 04112-66036 ) and replacing them all on the stand before you drop it in the engine bay. Much easier that way.

it runs around 250 at most dealers in the US, 175 from partsouq. The head gasket ALONE is a buck fifty.

Here is a link to @OGBeno explaining what's
IMG_0318.jpg
IMG_0319.jpg
IMG_0320.jpg
IMG_0321.jpg
in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom