Swapping AC system from 97 into 91 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tank5

SILVER Star
Threads
I am currently working through a motor swap in my 91 80series (2uz-VVTI) and wanted to replace my ac condenser only to find it is no longer available. The condenser for the 93-97 80 series is available, so I want swap out the parts to be able to use it.

I have learned since that the fitting are different and the drier is located in a different position, so in order to make this swap work I need all of the hard and flexible lines from the 97 Land Cruiser as well as the A/C core and bulk head fitting.

My question for the group is can I simply pull the 91 ac core and drop the 97 core in the same slot in the housing under the dash? Could it be that simple? If not can it be done and what does it take?

I searched but couldn’t find this discussed specifically. If the answer is out buried in someone’s thread kindly point me in the right direction.

Your probably have to find out yourself..... probably anyone with a 91-93 model is using used parts to keep the qc going.

Oh boy! I was working on solving this solution in a similar sense with my 93. I purchased a new high pressure side line and low and behold....it doesn't fit the expansion valve. My high side was accidentally tatered during one of the 60 installs of the motor during the swap. So, pouring over diagrams is your best bet. It appears that the cores between 93 and 97 were the same and the accumulators were different part numbers as well as the lines. One could deduce that there is a high likelihood that the cores are the same from 91-97....I'd look on a toyota parts site at part numbers to be sure.

Have you considered replacing the condenser with a newer style, and having someone make a hard line that works with the new condenser, and the remainder of the old system?

Have you considered replacing the condenser with a newer style, and having someone make a hard line that works with the new condenser, and the remainder of the old system?
I have considered but I want as much of the system to be as factory as I can make it. The other reason fore swapping the AC core is to be able to use the later ac lines at the bulk head fitting for a cleaner install.

I have decided to just buy the parts I need and see what I have to do to swap them in. I will update this thread as I work through it.

A lot of people swap in the 91-93 dryer into the newer model including me to get the dryer up out of the way. and yes the fitting are different.
It seem you could do the same for the opposite reason.
@landtank has a excellent thread on how to do this with all the part numbers needed to make the conversion ;)

A lot of people swap in the 91-93 dryer into the newer model including me to get the dryer up out of the way. and yes the fitting are different.
It seem you could do the same for the opposite reason.
@landtank has a excellent thread on how to do this with all the part numbers needed to make the conversion ;)
Thanks for this information I was going to swap in the later dryer lines and routing but see it would better to keep my early dryer.

I still need to swap heater cores for what I want to do.

Here is my update to answer my own question in hopes it helps someone else. I bought an ac core out of a newer 80 series 93-97 and found it swaps right into the early 91-92 ac core housing. The housing itself is the same as best I can tell and it appears one could swap the entire housing with core without any modifications.

The only difference I saw is the fittings at the bulkhead. Both the high and low pressure fittings are different, so if someone wanted to do this they need to replace the ac lines as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom