Advice on dealing with rain gutters on FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fred

SILVER Star
Threads
I've looked over the various threads on dealing with removing rust and cracked ancient putty form the rain gutters, and applying new self-leveling putty, etc.

My question is, does that putty apply directly to the bare metal in the bottom of the gutters (after they've been cleaned and all old putty and any rust removed)?

Or should those surfaces be coated prior to applying the putty?

Considering using the two stage cleaning and prep process that the POR-15 folks supply, followed by POR-15. But for all I know, this might keep the putty from bonding at all.

Any suggestions, voices of experience.
Normally, I generally only worry about keeping the mechanical stuff working.
(Because I know how to do that - body work is NOT something I know.)
But now that the Land Cruiser is living in Oregon, it seemed prudent to start on managing the rusty bits that had been pretty much showing NO signs of advance while living in California, but clearly were starting to speed up here in the Great Pacific NorthWet.

Thanks, all.

get the old stuff out, then you'll see the holes at the crown of the roof and A-pillar that are what the seam sealer are for. clean the surface, put the new stuff in, then paint.

I'm with @g-man on the 3m stuff. Works very well. I used to use it to seal quarters and what-not on car restorations with excellent results.

sub'd as I plan to tackle painting the cruiser this spring/summer and can see that there are a few cracks in my sealer on the railing in a few spots. Believe my main leak is coming from the corner of my windshield like normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom