I am waiting for the hand me down. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
My wife’s been needing a new car with her MDX nearing 175k miles. She has been in the Hondas since before we were married; however after driving the GX, she wanted one.

I spent years looking for some of the cars that I have, but I found this one after only a few months.

2014 GX 460 with under 30,000 miles. Luxury model, with all the bells and whistles, except rear lockers.

Thank you for your service when looking for a GX, I was amazed that most of them are black — The very last color I ever want to own.

Here she is.

The plan is to let the wife pile on miles and when she gets to a certain level convert this into my over landing rig.

5FDBAED8-B219-4CB4-84FA-00D58507BC8A.jpeg

Congratulations, beautiful color.
One of the reason you see mostly black, at list around NYC , is because they been used as UBER or Luxury Limo around here.

got word from the mechanic doing the inspection that there is rust on the underside of the car, mostly on the front protection parts. What aluminum skid plates are available?

Sounds like RCI is a good option. Anything else known to fit?

This rig is luxury, so has all the fancy suspension parts.

Nice vehicle but if you plan on Off Roading later, I would do the 470. The 460 is more of a Mall Crawler.

got word from the mechanic doing the inspection that there is rust on the underside of the car, mostly on the front protection parts. What aluminum skid plates are available?

Sounds like RCI is a good option. Anything else known to fit?

This rig is luxury, so has all the fancy suspension parts.

There hasn't been a ton of building of these trucks as of yet, but as per other GX's they share a lot of underbody components with the 4Runner. I'm not sure if the frames line up that closely to support a full belly pan.

If the rust is just on the stock front bash plates, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as its not the frame, cross members or hardware, then you should be able to easily clean that up.

Nice vehicle but if you plan on Off Roading later, I would do the 470. The 460 is more of a Mall Crawler.

I think @helocat and the rest of the MetalTech 4x4 crew would disagree...
Photos_show_options_installed_LED_fog_lights_LED_center_light_bar_Winch_and_Powder_coat._These_are_all_optional.__22648.1500669398.500.750.JPG

My wife’s been needing a new car with her MDX nearing 175k miles. She has been in the Hondas since before we were married; however after driving the GX, she wanted one.

I spent years looking for some of the cars that I have, but I found this one after only a few months.

2014 GX 460 with under 30,000 miles. Luxury model, with all the bells and whistles, except rear lockers.

Thank you for your service when looking for a GX, I was amazed that most of them are black — The very last color I ever want to own.

Here she is.

The plan is to let the wife pile on miles and when she gets to a certain level convert this into my over landing rig.

View attachment 1609385

Just to be clear....a rear locker is an option on the GX460?

Future goals would be for doing Colorado trails, not bouncing over rocks. More overlanding vehicle.

I think that @woody 's wife rolls in a gx460 and was on Black Bear first day this year.

Future goals would be for doing Colorado trails, not bouncing over rocks. More overlanding vehicle.

I think that @woody 's wife rolls in a gx460 and was on Black Bear first day this year.
GX470 actually, but she's talking her way into a 460...I keep stalling....lol

She was the 2nd car down Black Bear in July 2017, and also drove The Wall on Poughkeepsie that week - no lockers, worn 33's...

Ordered some RCI brush guards today. Aluminum powdercoated. That should solve a big chunk of the rust issue.

BD9E32CE-6F23-4D50-B43A-115E5ABAAFC6.jpeg
327C2264-8FD0-41FD-A51E-83414DE213F2.jpeg
91F2DBA0-E37F-4AC9-9792-8782810C3529.jpeg
27F4B1C4-81D5-44E4-8D3A-79A4A6EEDD46.jpeg
A354B7A3-6290-4FBC-90E1-5BAE326CC8D0.jpeg

So there is the rust issue. Just ordered powercoated aluminum front, transmission, and gas tank plates from RCI.

I am going to take it down to Lexus to see what they think. This looks like a crazy amount of rust for a three year old car. I would think with all the rust issues on Toyota's they would put some better paint on these parts!

I think @helocat and the rest of the MetalTech 4x4 crew would disagree...
Photos_show_options_installed_LED_fog_lights_LED_center_light_bar_Winch_and_Powder_coat._These_are_all_optional.__22648.1500669398.500.750.JPG

Agreed, GX470 is currently the low hanging fruit in the off road world and because its easiliy reachable for the majority of used car buyers the off road market has taken off!

The Global Market has already embraced the GX460 as a capable off road platform... the GX470 at one time had the same rep as the GX460 currently does with the mall crawler comments.

As seen in below video and your picture, its definitely serving its true purpose but the wallet must be heavier to enjoy this:

I decided to take the car by the local Lexus dealership to get their thoughts on the rust issue and to understand how much warranty I have left.

The basically said that it is just surface rust, nothing to worry about. I asked the rep if there is any recommended treatment or painting to do, and he said "it is just surface rust, it won't get any worse". I gave a very confused look on my face....

Then he said in the most condensending tone, that "lexus has not had any rust issues like Toyota has". He said "Toyota" like it was a Yugo.

I was so confused, because it was like a Ford guy talking smack about a Ford.

I could not figure out if this guy knew that a Lexus is really a Toyota, or if he understood -- well anything at that point in time.

Anyway, I got a free car wash out of the deal at least.

Got it home, put it on the lift and started pulling all parts taht can be unbolted easy off for sandblasting and either powercoating or primer/painting.

Had to soak several of bolts with some antiseize. Sad, car is not 4 years old and bolts are worse off than on my 1997 80 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom