Hello lads. I am in need of a new radiator. What is a reputable brand? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My radiator has a leak and the engine temp goes up unless i am traveling at above 40 MPH. What brand should I buy? I also want to replace the hoses too. Thanks lads.

Denso is OEM

CSF makes heafy duty welded aluminum with build in transmission cooler. They are quite a bit more expensive.

Moshimoto also makes aluminum but without build in transmission cooler.

Lots of choices…
Denso is essentially OEM from what I’ve read…they’re good.
Koyo is another well-regarded brand.
If you’re not adding (or already have) an after-market transmission cooler, it’s imperative that you get a radiator that has a tranny cooler built in.

I went with denso…and while you are at it…change the thermostat, cap, and upper/lower hoses all with Toyota.

I buy mine on www.partsouq.com

Be very careful ordering a radiator with rock auto. They have a high shipping damage rate. I'd just recommend picking up an OEM replacement in person if you plan on putting it in yourself otherwise just let the Toyota dealer do it and get a warranty.

Be very careful ordering a radiator with rock auto. They have a high shipping damage rate. I'd just recommend picking up an OEM replacement in person if you plan on putting it in yourself otherwise just let the Toyota dealer do it and get a warranty.

I've ordered two from them and they both came undamaged

New Gates hoses are super-cheap to snag from RockAuto, if you do end up ordering from there. I did mine at 13 years and 135K and they honestly did not need to be replaced. I'd use only pink Toyota pre-mixed coolant. If you do the thermostat and radiator cap, I'd also only use OEM-Toyota parts. I replaced mine but in hindsight they didn't need it.

You'll also end up draining some transmission fluid, so it would be a good time to do a fluid exchange. Or, at the very least, top of the transmission fluid. If you're doing a full exchange you can use an aftermarket fluid like Valvoline MaxLife, if you're just topping off I'd get Toyota WS fluid from the dealer (which is 3-4X the cost of MaxLIfe). RockAuto also sells Aisin WS fluid, I am not sure if it is the same as Toyota WS fluid but it's much cheaper. The fluid is kind of a pain to check and fill, so I'd read up or watch some videos on how to do it correctly. It's not difficult, just messy and requires access to cramped areas. For my rig I just did a full replacement with a pan drop/filter change and used MaxLife ATF and it's been great.

do the upper and lower rad hoses, new cap and new t-stat. you can just top the trans off with 1/2 qt of fluid, thats the toyota recommended amount from a chart thats out there with approximate fill amounts so you can ballpark it then make your adjustments.

personally i would go with the red coolant over pink, from what i saw at the shop pretty much all the coolant leaks were from vehicles with pink and virtually none with the red

Red coolant was used in anything up to 2003 but anything built after that switched from to pink. Both are compatible so don't worry about mixing them

Red coolant was used in anything up to 2003 but anything built after that switched from to pink. Both are compatible so don't worry about mixing them

Good to know, I put pink back in mine since I didn't do a full flush when I replaced the starter and pulled off the intake/coolant hoses/etc. My t-belt had been done only a year before. FWIW I've had zero leaks anywhere, but will pre-emptively do the radiator and the alternator in a year or two, since Denso replacements are so cheap.

All parts and tools have been secured. Will post progress pics tomorrow. thanks all for you knowledge

Job done. Car running good, not overheating. Gonna flush the entire system this week (drain engine.) I checked the manual and the coolant was supposed to be changed at 100k. I dont think the previous owner did that, plus the radiator was leaking bad.

PXL_20230923_035455980.jpg

PXL_20230923_035502011.jpg

PXL_20230923_042425793.jpg

PXL_20230923_042431557.jpg

PXL_20230923_191608313.MP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom