Builds A Hippo ..... No More (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Should we all spam them in effort to get them to stock the bumper?

Couldn't hurt.

Personally I'm waiting to see what @reevesci comes up with with his version 2.0 bumper.

Agree on the trade offs. I’m a carpool dad... my concern would be my 13 yo daughter having to swing the tire out to open the hatch to get her school stuff out of the rear. Definitely not ideal.

I'm a Grandfather and I guess out of touch with taking kids to school but most kids only have a backpack. Why would every time you drop her at school would she need to open up the back of the cruiser? I get into the back of my rig maybe once every couple of weeks. But being a "carpool dad" makes it several kids with back packs so I can see this mod would not work for you. Key words "car pool dad" Damn old age is killing my comprehension skills ;)

Agree on the trade offs. I’m a carpool dad... my concern would be my 13 yo daughter having to swing the tire out to open the hatch to get her school stuff out of the rear. Definitely not ideal.
I roll with three rugrats daily. Simple fix is renegotiate the existing terms. Very nice looking rig OP! enjoy it

Last edited:
FWIW - I asked the CBI guys about the light blocking the visual spooling of the winch. Here is their response.......

Hi Larry,

Thank you for reaching out to us! That is great to hear you have generated some buzz with your build. It sounds like a good one from what I’ve heard.

Regarding the light mount in the bumper and winch spooling Walt does make a good suggestion. While we realize that if a light is mounted visibility to the winch line is limited we feel that that particular item can be worked around. It will just take more care to spool the winch after use and dress the line if you do have a light mounted.

If we can help with anything else please let us know!

Thanks,

CBI Offroad Sales Team

My email:

Hi Team CBI,

Walt discouraged me from mounting a strip light at the cut out within the front bumper because it blocks the ability to view the winch spooling. Can you confirm this? If so, do you have a recommended work around? I would like to consider mounting a light in this location to maintain the clean profile that you guys have worked hard to create.

Let me know. Thanks.

Regards,

Larry Britt

Last edited:
I have no issues seeing my spool with my light bar in my bumper. If you need to get a better view, you can tilt/angle the bar down to peek inside better.

With the light tilted down (yeah I need to respool) :

20171214_153821.jpg

I'm a Grandfather and I guess out of touch with taking kids to school but most kids only have a backpack. Why would every time you drop her at school would she need to open up the back of the cruiser? I get into the back of my rig maybe once every couple of weeks. But being a "carpool dad" makes it several kids with back packs so I can see this mod would not work for you. Key words "car pool dad" Damn old age is killing my comprehension skills ;)

Well, I have two kids... both carry backpacks, lunches, laptops, and my oldest plays violin. That would unfortunately be a lot to fit with them in the backseat.

I talked with Mike at CBI. I asked him if CBI sells my front bumper and he confirmed that they DO NOT at this time. Apparatnly I received one of the few prototypes that were built when they did the expedition truck. If this were to be built by CBI, it would be as a custom bumper and Mike indicated that they are not taking on any custom work at this time due to their workload.

So there it is.......

Any tire rub with that setup? Edit - just saw you need spacers

Looks great.
I have had the truck out twice. The 2nd time I gained more confidence as we re-acquainted ourselves post mods. The truck is extremely capable as one might logically conclude from the build details. Not only has the suspension increased its reach, but combined with the technology continues to impress.

A fellow High Desert Cruiser made me stop on a large soft sand hill 2/3 of the way up. At a full stop, 20 lbs in the tires, and crawl assist activated on Mud/sand, the truck pulled itself out after about 5 minutes of slow crawl. We were pretty impressed.

I do have some minor rub in two spots - one forward and one aft. I think the forward issue is within range to be eliminated with minor fabrication effort. The most front facing plastic cover for the running boards will chatter when the front wheel hits. Trimming this back should sort that rub. The rear tire just touches the inside of the quarter panel plastic cover at full articulation. There is so little rub here unable to visually see indication of rub), that I don't see the need to sort.

How much clearance do you have between the liftgate wing and the Alu-Cab awning where mounted on the Slimline?

Negative 2" of clearance. The tailgate bumps right before full extension. I was worried about the tailgate fin hitting the slimline - but it clears perfectly. And the fin also clear the Alu Cab perfectly as well.

I have a small rubber bumper on the bottom of the awning arm that touches the land cruiser emblem on the tailgate. Since I lifted the truck 3+", there is no headroom issue any longer. So I will probably continue to live with the 2" loss on tailgate opening with shadow deployed. The trade off to resolving the 2" clearance, is to lift the awning via fabricated brackets, but that would then require using a step stool to put the awning away. It is just about out of reach with the truck lift alone.

I was considering making lift brackets for the alu cab but glad I waited until the truck lift was completed.

20180101_142029.jpg
20180101_142043.jpg
20180101_142047.jpg
20180101_142059.jpg
20180101_142105.jpg

Last edited:
For those spreadsheet guys (yes I am one of them), here is the build and spend including my research to date on Phase 2. FWIW.

View attachment 1598030

Hurry up and delete before your wife sees this!! :D

J/k I'm sure she's supportive. I actually want my wife to know how much all my toys are worth so she knows how much to sell them for if I die unexpectedly!

haha - I kept one for a bit but am too scared to keep it updated ! Nice build

Nice build! very well chosen mods. The guys at TAV did a great job on the install.
with the stock wheels at 60mm offset, 1.25" spacers will help clear the inner fender in the rear.
I'm running a similar tundra set up in the front, with 50mm offset wheels and 35s. I kept the tire width narrow (11.5) and barely rub on the KDSS bar on full lock to the right. I also added extended bumpstops to make sure the tires don't hit any sheet metal.
10mm spacers should push you out wide enough to clear the front components.

Negative 2" of clearance. The tailgate bumps right before full extension. I was worried about the tailgate fin hitting the slimline - but it clears perfectly. And the fin also clear the Alu Cab perfectly as well.

I have a small rubber bumper on the bottom of the awning arm that touches the land cruiser emblem on the tailgate. Since I lifted the truck 3+", there is no headroom issue any longer. So I will probably continue to live with the 2" loss on tailgate opening with shadow deployed. The trade off to resolving the 2" clearance, is to lift the awning via fabricated brackets, but that would then require using a step stool to put the awning away. It is just about out of reach with the truck lift alone.

I was considering making lift brackets for the alu cab but glad I waited until the truck lift was completed.

Thanks for the feedback. If you ever get a chance, I'd like to see a pic of it open before I buy one to visualize exactly where the contact lines up. I've been running the CVT awning, but really like the 270 style...

Thanks for the feedback. If you ever get a chance, I'd like to see a pic of it open before I buy one to visualize exactly where the contact lines up. I've been running the CVT awning, but really like the 270 style...
I posted up a few pix on my initial response above (about 5 posts up).

View attachment 1603087 View attachment 1603088 View attachment 1603089 View attachment 1603090 View attachment 1603091
Thanks for the pictures, it really helps. I sold my 270 awning because in 4 years, I never used it, but I just didn't live in areas that made it worth while. But I move a lot, so I was looking at that alu-cab, so if go that route again, I think I'll make a bracket instead, to get the awning up a bit more and fully clear it. Thanks for saving me some money.

Thanks for the pictures, it really helps. I sold my 270 awning because in 4 years, I never used it, but I just didn't live in areas that made it worth while. But I move a lot, so I was looking at that alu-cab, so if go that route again, I think I'll make a bracket instead, to get the awning up a bit more and fully clear it. Thanks for saving me some money.
Glad the pix were helpful. I thought about making an adapter for the existing brackets to move the awning up 2". But now that the truck is lifted 3", another 2" will make the awning a bit too high to manage. So I think I will just live with it as it is for now.

Cheers!

I posted up a few pix on my initial response above (about 5 posts up).

Thanks! That helps. Looks like the wing makes the awning fabric tent up a bit? Has anyone done a wing delete on a 200 yet? Seems like everyone was removing them from the 100s back in the day.

Thanks! That helps. Looks like the wing makes the awning fabric tent up a bit? Has anyone done a wing delete on a 200 yet? Seems like everyone was removing them from the 100s back in the day.

Someone on here did. I've removed mine to relocate the rear camera. It'll leave holes in the hatch. You can get trim plugs at any auto parts store to plug them. I would suggest using a dab of rtv on there too in order to fully weatherproof the holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom