How can I make ride little more comfy ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I am thinking of making my 200 as a daily driver: When I bought it, I had plans to make this somewhat off-road capable (more than what stock offers). But now, plans have changed, and I am looking to get rid of my daily driver (Audi) and replacing it with the 200. The only problem (for me) is 200 does not ride as comfy and luxuriously as Audi does. I understand that these are two different vehicles, but sill wondering if someone out there might have turned 200 to a comfy daily driver as opposed to an off-roader beast. Would love to hear from you, your suggestions. Thanks.

My basically stock 2019 LC rides amazing! Actually, most reviews of Land Cruiser notes its amazing ride. Probably the best ride of any SUV.

No, it does NOT handle like a sports car. But HANDLING of the Land Cruiser is not all bad. According to Motortrend, it is mid-pack in handling among SUV of its size. There may be some brake dive or lean, but Toyota actually designed a decent suspension.

Last edited:
As @doru noted, the LX is the more comfortable 200. Your 2016 will likely bring enough $$ to move up to a 2019-20 LX given the disparity in used car pricing in favor of the LC.

I'd go with a set of 275/65R18 (Not LT) Michelin Defender MS2s, especially if it currently has a set of LT rated tires.
These will be slightly narrower and slightly taller than stock 285/60s.

Is the OP's LC currently modded at all or fully stock?

You didn't say which Audi you have? Q7? S3?

My 2013 LC with OME BP51 and 35" tires had a significantly a more plush ride than the brand new Lincoln Navigator that was my taxi to the airport 2 weeks ago. Now it's a truck so I'm not taking corners at 40mph, but a properly tuned suspension will do wonders for the ride.

I have an 85 LC but when I took off the heavy duty springs and put the stock it improved my ride a ton. So changing springs could be an option.

Gerry

Thank you all for your inputs. Some more details: I am running Michelin defender ltx 285/60 on stock shocks. I was told by 'firestone' tech that my shocks are leaking and are in need of replacement... though i cannot see anything leaking.. so if i upgrade shocks to newer or another brand, like Dobinson, might help?

As @doru noted, the LX is the more comfortable 200. Your 2016 will likely bring enough $$ to move up to a 2019-20 LX given the disparity in used car pricing in favor of the LC.
Thanks. I prefer the looks of LC over LX. Though i have never driven a LX so cannot really compare.. maybe i need to do that.

Thank you all for your inputs. Some more details: I am running Michelin defender ltx 285/60 on stock shocks. I was told by 'firestone' tech that my shocks are leaking and are in need of replacement... though i cannot see anything leaking.. so if i upgrade shocks to newer or another brand, like Dobinson, might help?
I'd get a second opinion. Not sure your mileage on your 2016 but I'd be surprised if your shocks are leaking unless you're very high mileage or abusing the suspension.

You didn't say which Audi you have? Q7? S3?

My 2013 LC with OME BP51 and 35" tires had a significantly a more plush ride than the brand new Lincoln Navigator that was my taxi to the airport 2 weeks ago. Now it's a truck so I'm not taking corners at 40mph, but a properly tuned suspension will do wonders for the ride.
I have A4 with sport plus suspension and a manual transmission, it drives really smooth in comfort mode and firms up, just enough for me to enjoy, in sport mode.

I have A4 with sport plus suspension and a manual transmission, it drives really smooth in comfort mode and firms up, just enough for me to enjoy, in sport mode.
The LC will never drive like an A4. Or the LX.

The LX in sport mode will be closer to a Q7, in my limited experience of driving both. But even still it's a lot heavier and it's a ladder frame, not unitbody

Do you have active height control in your Land Cruiser? If a mechanic thinks the shocks are leaking, it could be because the static pressures are out of whack. Adjusting these pressures as well as the proper tires, which it sounds like you already have would be big improvements. Lastly, I would say, if your seat foam is compressed, you could steam the foam or replace the foam to have a newer seating experience.

Do you have active height control in your Land Cruiser? If a mechanic thinks the shocks are leaking, it could be because the static pressures are out of whack. Adjusting these pressures as well as the proper tires, which it sounds like you already have would be big improvements. Lastly, I would say, if your seat foam is compressed, you could steam the foam or replace the foam to have a newer seating experience
All US LC 200s have KDSS, and LX's have AHC.

Thanks, I thought it was a US option too...a byproduct of international forums. Im just a lowly lx470 guy:)

Id still suggest the foam as an option depending on weight of OP or prior owner

The LC will never drive like an A4. Or the LX.

The LX in sport mode will be closer to a Q7, in my limited experience of driving both. But even still it's a lot heavier and it's a ladder frame, not unitbody
I am pretty sure a Q7 will run circles around ANY LC200 variant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom