Michelin LTX AT2 - A more perfect All Terrain tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
EDIT: From the feedback, looks like this was one of Michelin's older designs. Better models exist including @achillar30 recommendation here

Following on this other thread which focuses on the merits of Michelin LTXs, there's another distinct Michelin LTX AT2 All Terrain variant of the LTX line of tires. Perhaps this is the more perfect all around tire to match the traits of the 200-series?

I haven't driven on this tire so can't offer much, but this set has been sitting in my backyard. Been tempted to try, but perhaps others can fill in on their experiences with this tire?

1704560903566.png

Tire Racks description

The LTX A/T2 is Michelin's On-Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed to meet the needs of today's recreational and commercial pickup, van and SUV drivers. It was designed to provide even wear, low noise and good fuel efficiency, even in demanding commercial applications while delivering the year-round traction and durability expected from rugged off-road tires without forsaking the on-road comfort and handling expected of a Michelin tire.

The LTX A/T2 features an advanced light truck tread rubber compound molded into an independent tread block tread design featuring Michelin Biting Edges (notched blocks in the tread pattern) that enhance traction on dirt, mud, gravel, wet grass and snow. Michelin's Advanced MaxTouch Construction results in a unique tire footprint shape that allows for long-lasting, even treadwear while their Comfort Control Technology uses computer-optimized design and precision manufacturing to reduce vibrations and road noise to deliver a comfortable ride. The tire's internal structure includes two or three steel belts depending on the tire's Load Range and manufacturing location to enhance durability and tread puncture resistance.

1704561223780.png

It comes in limited sizes but perhaps enough to cover the common OEM+ sizing some are looking for?

1704561656531.png

Last edited:
Have had them (on other SUVs...YMMV). OLD tire. Really old tire design/ old materials. They were only "OK" for me. Not great on-road...noisy for a "mild" AT tire. Not great in rain...probably due to minimal siping. Sidewall is OK...I bet that the new Defenders have stronger sidewall. Off-road, they cake up very quickly...no difference from street tires in that regard. All ATs cake up but at least on say BFG KO2, the side wall sipes have bigger gaps and thus slightly better when you climb.

IMHO, sell it and get Defenders MS2. :D

I have put a few km’s towing up north and around the province on my AT2 285/20’s and I love them. Ten ply sidewalls seem to give great support towing and in my uneducated opinion they are really good on wet roads. To be fair I tried BF Goodrich’s about 15 years ago and have been on Michelins ever since. Towing my 25’ trailer at 60 km/h because of mud didn’t expose any flaws to me and I haul my little 16.5‘ travel trailer into a lake that necessitates a 1 hour drive over the last 6 km’s because of the condition of the trail. Now I don’t do any mud bogging or dedicated rock crawling but I do ski (a little) and we do get a fair amount of rain around here and I have absolutely no complaints about road noise or durability.

I only put about 2K on my Defender M/S before trading them for the M/S2 and haven't installed those as I am currently running winter tires, so can't really compare them. I ran the P rated AT2 for 4 years. Get them used from a Trundra owner. Never had any issues with them offroad. They went everywhere in Vegas and St. George that the Jeep guys running every type of tire went. They wore pretty well and evenly. They weren't extremely quiet. My main issue was in icy snow. They sucked. But the M/S sucked as well for the short time I ran them.
I seriously debated on replacing them with the same model but the other thread convinced my to move over.
I will say that I noticed the difference in steering ease and quiteness immediately on the short drive home from Costco when I had the M/S installed. They were quite a bit quieter and steering was much easier than with the AT2.
For reference, my Blizzaks are considerably quieter than either of those other two tires.

I have a set of Tundra sized AT2 on a non 200, really like them. Quiet, and P metric makes them ride and handle great.

I just find the 275 65 18 too small looking on a 200. And the Michelin AT2 in a 285 65 18 is a LT tire.

Note that from what I've seen, sizes other than the Tundra 275 65 18 don't have the sidewall tread like that, they look more like the Defender IMO.

I had a set of LTX A/T2 on my 100 and eventually went back to the Defender. The A/T2 were noisier, more slippery in the snow, and did not do any better in deep sand. I have no interest in putting them on my 200 until/unless Michelin comes out with a major update. There are other posts about this tire over many years; it’s an old model.

I had a set of LTX A/T2 on my 100 and eventually went back to the Defender. The A/T2 were noisier, more slippery in the snow, and did not do any better in deep sand. I have no interest in putting them on my 200 until/unless Michelin comes out with a major update. There are other posts about this tire over many years; it’s an old model.
When I looked at the Defenders and AT2s, I heard similar things so ended up going with Defenders.

@TeCKis300 I think the new Defender LTX platinum might be the best of both worlds...a Defender LTX with an AT2 sidewall. I linked it in the other Defender thread, but here's a photo of the sidewall and unique tread pattern. They're only available in limited sizes and they're really expensive. Call me a fanboy, but every Michelin tire I've ever bought has been more than its money's worth. I get an occasional reminder of this every time I buy a car and it comes with something other than Michelins.

cloerjmqx0i9f01odjnndunx9-4w-1122-3528705000912-tire-michelin-defender-ltx-platinum-lt-275-slash-65-r20-126-slash-123s-a-main-11-l40.max.png

cloerjm4w0huy01mjl9mygn9j-4w-1122-3528705000912-tire-michelin-defender-ltx-platinum-lt-275-slash-65-r20-126-slash-123s-a-main-6-0zoom-nopad-noshad.max.png

Michelin AT2 is a decent on road tire. They were OEM on Ford F150’s for years. They hold up well as most Michelins do. They aren’t better than Michelin Defender LTX M/S at anything…worse in on- road rain and snow performance . The AT2’s also have a reputation for throwing rocks and pebbles due to the tight treads.

Again, not a bad tire but inferior to the Defender’s except maybe in looks.

Good feedback! I edited my top post to reflect the inputs here.

The Defender LTX Platinum's look promising!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom