Need Help on Alignment qestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
I finally got around to having an all wheel alignment completed on my 1982 FJ45.
The gent that did the alignment check (only a check) told me that all seems good as far as he can see, but could use a bit of tweaking in some areas? o_O
I was mainly interested in the Castor of the truck to know if it needed to be shimmed due to re-arcing of the leaf springs but to be honest I am not a well verse alignment person and reading the data sheet from the visit , I am at bit of a loss in knowing what some of it means as in what I need to do and how from here.
I know he said that the rear thrust angle was out as shown so I not sure if I need to loose up the rear axle and try to move it left or right to get to track with the front or check the spring hangars or frame for being bent?
I know some of you guys out there know more about this stuff than I so I am asking if someone can read the results and help me out from what you see.
Any information is more that welcome.

All stock:
16" wheels with 32" tires (new)
Springs (front and rear) re-arced to near stock level

DL133720 copy.jpg

You need to get closer to +1* positive caster.
If you have power steering 2-3* is real nice IMO for going straight and still easy steer at a stop. If you are manual steering stay closer to +1*

The rear is out because of bushings, or something is bent.

Yes it does have power steering, so the Caster for the L/F at 2.0 and R/F at 2.4 degrees means it needs to come down to towards the stock +1 for best results? I believe the shims are six degrees that are installed now between the leaf pads and springs.
As fro the rear I will have to take a good look around but I am not sure what side is out left or right @ 1.56 deg. It has all new Polly bushings along with the re-ached springs and all the shackles are stock.

Appreciate the help.

The entire rear axle is steering toward the right. Either the left side needs to come back, or the right side forward. No way to say which from the stats here.

Interesting, what am I missing in the reading of the thrust angle sheet to determine if it is a left or right issue. :idea: Ok maybe it is the small picture that shows the rear wheels pointing to the right :doh:.
As said not well versed on this stuff but love to learn as mush as I can and maybe for the next person will help also.
I am presuming that 1.56 is not a lot but it should be dealt with regardless.
I will start some measurements from the inner drum to spring pad on both side and so on. I guess the best thing to do other than check the Polly bushings again is drop the springs from the pads and check the pin and pin holes for wear.

Thanks

I may have misread your sheet the first time I looked at it I was thinking it was a negative caster. If in fact it is positive Caster I wouldn't mess with that. Are you experiencing any strange handling characteristics as in darting around.

I not sure, the way I was looking at it was the center readings in the green was the total in this case -0.4*, but as said I'm not a great at reading these darn things. Yeah the center row is the Caster @ left for 2.0* and right @ 2.4* and not sure about the small numbers in the box to the L/R are they the difference between the two numbers?
I take it this is all metric and not standard system. Not sure if the Toe can stand a bit of adjusting also. Took this sheet to an old gent that has a alignment shop and asked him to decode the reading with what a my Toyota specs says to see if I need some adjustments, he said he only deals in standard numbers not metric, kind of the old crusty type attitude but still nice guy, does mostly local farm equipment, said why don't you just have someone drive your truck and you follow in a other car and take a look at it while it in a straight line to see if it tracks okay, now that is high tech but not a bad idea.
No real driving issues, has the standard 2" steering wheel play, it just wonders a bit with high crown roadways or straight flat roadways mostly to the right.
Did find this web site helps give a bit of a clue in how to read the print outs:
Thanks

camber caster.JPG

toe.JPG

:idea: Ok maybe it is the small picture that shows the rear wheels pointing to the right :doh:.
I didn’t look at the little picture, and wouldn’t count on it changing to reflect the specs shown. But it is simple, really. Negative toe (toe out) on the right and positive toe (toe in) on the left means both are angled to the right.

I saw a other picture close to this print out type and it showed the wheels to the left so I was guessing that it printed to the correct angles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom