Need help on routing vacuum lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1974 FJ40 that I need help with on how to run the vacuum lines based on my setup. I have an earlier emissions control device )which I would like to utilize it since I just recently bought one from BTB products) an 75 stock carb, I believe a 78 distributor, and a 2f motor with an 2f exhaust and intake manifold. I also just bought a Chevy charcoal canister from red line cruisers.
My question for the time being is what ports off the emissions control device do I need to utilize other than the one for the canister? And if I do need to use all or most of them where would I plug in the hose to the carb for instance. Any help would be great. I’m not familiar with a lot areas when it comes to the engine compartment.
If I need to include pictures of a certain area please let me know. Thanks

71600041239__648D7BAB-B694-4518-81A7-6928C823B8AF.jpeg

71600067465__A6BB94B3-8744-403F-B5A4-A0BF96B63869.jpeg

71600086814__9D8014B1-F7E0-4A65-A618-5DE0BD53BE18.jpeg

Many of the vacuum lines are related to smog equipment. Whenever I am trying to decipher what is what and which of what I want to retain of the smog equipment and vacuum lines routed in my 40 I end up referencing back to this. Even though it is for a desmog it has a lot of condensed information of how things where originally routed and why.

You have a Franken Cruiser there, so some of the lines are not going to match or function together with other parts.

In pictures from top to bottom.

1 VSV vacuum switching valve. These usually have a number on the casting for each port that matches the number of the port on the carb. I don't have a FSM or remember where they go just by looking at it.

2. Small line = Choke breaker. This goes to manifold vacuum. Big tube at the base of carb. This goes to the EGR outlet for EGRs prior to '79

3. port labeled 8. This is the line for external control of the power valve. It was originally operated by the VSV. You can connect it to intake vacuum. If left unconnected it will run rich.

4. Line for Auxiliary Accelerator Pump AAP. it is vestigial, so leave it or cap it off.

5, 6. Distributor vents. You can leave it or plug them. I don't remember how this works.

7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom