OEM Winch chain & hook correct position (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I wonder if anyone has information about TOYOTA recommendation regarding the hook fixation on the mechanical winch?

The original brochures show quite unstable position of the hook. Looks like when you start driving the hook will contact the front panel
winch Ih8 brochure.jpg

Standard owner's manuals don't cover this topic

Traditional repair manuals mention an ugly and not ergonomic way to fix it with a wire
winch Ih8 manual.jpg

Japanese repair manual offers the wire on the side
winch Ih8 manual2.jpg

And finally, the Japanese owner's manual provides a bit more detailed instructions (but also with an ugly wire)
winch Ih8 Japan Owners.jpg

Probably someone has more elegant instructions FROM TOYOTA?

I ran my hook end thru the big hole on the left (driver's side US) of the winch body. You can also zip-tie the hook or cable and simply break the zip ties when you need to use the winch.

I ran my hook end thru the big hole on the left (driver's side US) of the winch body. You can also zip-tie the hook or cable and simply break the zip ties when you need to use the winch.

I usually just used one of the tow hooks on top of the frame horn. I spin the driveshaft by hand to tighten. How ever I tighten it I would secure it more than zip ties. Here in the desert they dry rot fast and become brittle. In other locations zip ties last a long time. Areas that use salt bailing wire would rust quick. Here is can almost be used as a permanent repair.

I should add that after I hooked the hook on the winch, I took an inexpensive c-clamp (small) and clamped the brake disk with the clamp. This prevented the winch cable from unspooling on its own. See pix of hook. Clamp is not really visible. If the disk were to try to spin, the clamp immediately runs into other winch parts, and stops the disk. I put anti-sieze on the clamp screw to keep it from rusting.

IMG_3089.jpg

I should add that after I hooked the hook on the winch, I took an inexpensive c-clamp (small) and clamped the brake disk with the clamp. This prevented the winch cable from unspooling on its own. See pix of hook. Clamp is not really visible. If the disk were to try to spin, the clamp immediately runs into other winch parts, and stops the disk. I put anti-sieze on the clamp screw to keep it from rusting.

View attachment 1578254

Are you leaving the drum disengaged when not in use? I've always keeping it engaged and use the shift lock on the transmission cover. Figure the brake is to put resistance on the drum when free spooling cable out.

I don't engage the drum when not in use. I'm fearful I will kick the PTO shifter into gear, and with the drum engaged, the winch will fold up my truck like this {Serious language warning}:

I realize the shear pin should protect against wadding up the truck. Oh wait -that was a Chevy that folded up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom