Front Crank Seal, bolt loosening and tighting nightmare (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you end up needing parts I have an engine that I can pull parts from cheap for you. It is going to the scrap yard in a few days so let me know something before I toss it.
Thanks, I ordered the camera, it should be here in 2-3 Days. Hopefully I’ll be able to see what is going on back there. I’m guessing I might need the flex plate and the rear main seal aluminum fitting. I’ll keep this thread posted with what I find.

Thanks, I ordered the camera, it should be here in 2-3 Days. Hopefully I’ll be able to see what is going on back there. I’m guessing I might need the flex plate and the rear main seal aluminum fitting. I’ll keep this thread posted with what I find.

np, let me know. i have about 3 or 4 flexplates that i am going to toss and at least 1 if not 2 engines i am taking in for scrap.

If you end up needing parts I have an engine that I can pull parts from cheap for you. It is going to the scrap yard in a few days so let me know something before I toss it.

PM Being sent to you for engine cosmetic parts

Ok, I got the cool little camera today and put it right to work. If your wondering what happens when you do stupid things, here you go! The bolt shown first is the torque converter bolt that the socket was on. There is a pic of a gash in the flex plate and a couple of a crack in it and a pic of the area affected.

3A08CFBA-1F71-42A6-8BF0-552020DDD135.jpeg

3B6CAE7F-7A46-4A29-B57A-DDA31480EC20.jpeg

24D95A5F-8109-494A-933D-EDE382A04A9B.jpeg

D7A9841B-B5CF-4999-8DA5-B291F2C30271.jpeg

B0FF7AF7-5495-4B4C-92A9-E9CB658102B1.jpeg

This set is of the rear main seal housing on the back of the engine. One of the bolts is seriously messed up and a few of a crack in the housing.

“Don’t do the stupid things I do!” ~ Shelby Stanga

BA119BC1-DA74-4FB2-9B9A-15A3E43559A3.jpeg

9DD5B50E-E947-406C-B872-E98805B9E300.jpeg

6F26F750-83B0-4885-AD99-BCE1BE6F8E4E.jpeg

F00A2D89-DC3C-4382-A8B1-F497F91FC2B4.jpeg

C1EBDAC9-AF38-42A8-8109-0E43DB42B812.jpeg

Looks like I need a flex plate and the rear main seal aluminum housing.

As a few of you have mentioned, pulling the engine and tranny seems the only solution. I must be in denial, I really don't want to do it! I need to get mentally prepared for this. After all, this was supposed to be a quick little crank seal and oil seal replacement!! Now I'm looking at pulling the whole thing! Ugh! Not to mention, it has 264,000 miles on it. I'm thinking is it really worth all that work? I got it for a decent price for my son a few weeks ago, it is locked and they do work. I also, don't really have the setup for pulling the whole drivetrain at this time....sorry, just rambling and bitching about doing something that could have been avoided. Also, maybe looking for a little encouragement.

So, "While I'm in there" what should I fix if I have the whole damned thing pulled? reseal both pans, flex plate, rear main....HG was done by PO...

A pic of the bad luck queen! Did I mention I ran over my phone with it a few days earlier?!?!

11F444BB-BC65-485E-9C45-E06B282CFBB1.jpeg

Can we have a moment of silence for our dearly departed.....

I know how you are with these cars.... you can have that engine out in a one good evening.

flip it over pull both pans, pull one of the mains and one of the rod caps, and take a look... decide how much you want to do.

250k miles is where I would replace rings and bearings. I have helped rebuild two of these, and the machine shop has seen no wear on the bores, so new rings, bearings, and slap her back together. Since head gasket is done, I would just tell you to do a look at the bearings and decide what to do.

Otherwise replace all the busted parts and get this horse back going.

pulling the engine is that bad if you have a hoist and some power tools. if need be you can call me for help, i will send you my cell number.

As a few of you have mentioned, pulling the engine and tranny seems the only solution. I must be in denial, I really don't want to do it! ...

Could pull the trans/transfer?

I have connected engine/tranny on two of these together on the ground and struggled. Can't imagine doing it on a driveway on the ground. If you have a car lift and tranny lift, possible if you can get the two top bolts off engine/tranny.

Could pull the trans/transfer?

i would never try to do that and i have a lift. for the time it would take to pull the engine and trans, then the nightmare of putting them back in, you could just pull it by the book and be done with it.

Since I need to seal the leaking pans, I might as well pull it all out together. I did my HG, timing chain and both pans on my 1995 White Landcruiser years ago. I had it down to the short block in the vehicle. I should have just pulled it because it was a major PITA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom