Selling Price For My Built 2015 Land Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You're looking at a lot of dollar signs ($##,###) to switch to a reliable, complete, solar system that's capable of charging an EV. I like the idea of an EV/Solar setup but I don't think it's a very good idea at this time for a variety of reasons.

Unless you work a night shift or work from home, charging off of your home's solar panels isn't going to work out very well unless you're in Alaska.

That's where those crazy Tesla "Power Walls" (or whatever they're called) come in. Like huge batteries that store solar power during the day for use at night. Definitely needed for the reason you cite... But wow. Big bucks!!

So many of these problems go away with enough money...but alas...some of us can only dream of that kind of wallet. :) More power to those who can swing the price tag though...literally in this case!

That's where those crazy Tesla "Power Walls" (or whatever they're called) come in. Like huge batteries that store solar power during the day for use at night. Definitely needed for the reason you cite... But wow. Big bucks!!

So many of these problems go away with enough money...but alas...some of us can only dream of that kind of wallet. :) More power to those who can swing the price tag though...literally in this case!

The powerwalls need cooling, so a hot garage in the summer is a very bad idea for placement. Lithium is very explosive as we’ve seen with smart phones all ready. I’m not sold on solar or power walls. Solar is hideous on homes or buy Tesla solar roof tiles which look super cool and I’d be down with that if I was to reroof my home which won’t happen as I have hail proof roof tiles. Not worth the conversion Maybe I’ll start building spec homes with Tesla tiles, and with Ev plug in power station in garage as a selling point.

Last edited:
We're putting a roof on our new house right now, and Tesla's cash estimate for 40% coverage was $93,000.

Not worth the cost period...

LMAO! Last night I suggested a Leaf to my wife and she said “what is a Leaf?”. I should her a pic and the response was “fugly! that’s not happening” lol! Debating if I should even mention the little Ev BMW

I agree. Then again I'm not a fan of the Volt or Prius look either. Seems like every electric (or partially electric) vehicle tries to look different than a regular car. Even the Model X to me seems like a BMW X6 or an Acura ZDX - none of which I particularly care for the look of.

Only pointing out that there are full EVs available cheap.

We're putting a roof on our new house right now, and Tesla's cash estimate for 40% coverage was $93,000.

Not worth the cost period...

Wow, that’s insane! Definitely not worth it. Do they have a lease option? When the lease is up, you’ll have a sun roof. Lol

Canyonero-Let me know when you officially decide to sell it. I would like to see more detailed photos and am curious how different it drives with all your goodies on there compared with just a lift alone.

Will do. I’ll post up when I list it on the market.

I have a handful of cars with various degrees of driver assistance - 4 that have adaptive cruise control. I thought acc was the coolest thing ever until I actually "drove" a Model X, and turned on autopilot only to find that car drives better than me. It parks better than me, too. It can fit into the smallest space, perfectly centered, in seconds. Parallel parks perfectly everytime with no wheel rash. And I consider myself pretty damned good at both driving and parking.

Tesla's also get better as time goes on, as they send the "over the air" updates to the cars with the latest and greatest software. I'm not sure I'm getting one yet, but I'm keeping a close eye on this space. My company has a few company cars (Priuses) and would benefit greatly from autonomous vehicles taking our people from A to B. Less risk, presumably lower insurance premiums, and more ability for the humans to be productive while traveling.

Humans are the biggest variable for AI cars to deal with. Even construction, bad roads and bad weather are no match for the sheer unpredictability of a human who is not paying attention.
When are you getting the Tesla X?

There are 6-8 in my neighborhood. Owners are very happy with them. Most of these people previously owned X6M, Range Rovers, G wagen, GLS550 etc

Advanced congrats on the new Tesla X. Post pics when you get it :)

That's a once-in-a-lifetime vehicle, man. Think twice. Then think again.

I agree. Then again I'm not a fan of the Volt or Prius look either. Seems like every electric (or partially electric) vehicle tries to look different than a regular car. Even the Model X to me seems like a BMW X6 or an Acura ZDX - none of which I particularly care for the look of.

Only pointing out that there are full EVs available cheap.

Didn't really mean to hijack the thread, but since the Model X was on the table, it was worth mentioning the coming surge in EVs. (Pun not intended). Our Ford is a very conventional-looking car that is fun to drive (love the electric motor torque). It was cheap (EVs depreciate like crazy and we bought it used.) The solar charging station I built is off the grid and charges the car whenever we need to. It cost about $8k. However, big caveat here, we use the Energi for local driving and normally stay well within it's EV-only limit of 26 miles. If we exceed that, the gas engine works great. That said, the dealer gave us a full tank of gas when we bought it last spring and we have yet to buy gas for it!

@Angelo1: You make some interesting points.

Realizing this is tangential to Canyonero's quest, but obviously safety is a big concern for all of us. I remember the clap-traps I drove around in as a kid and I count myself lucky I never had a real accident, or it would have been bad. A lot of the new EVs are definitely becoming very safe - Tesla in particular has some very impressive crash test results - and hopefully autonomous driving will become both widely deployed, and accepted, in the next decade or so. Autopilot is getting there, so are Cadillac and Mercedes' early implementations although they're more dependent on the driver both due to algorithmic sophistication and lawyers than Autopilot.

With all that said, mass in an accident still matters, and that's one of the reasons I like the idea of my kids in something bigger. Given all the 8000 lb dualies running around our state, insurance costs aside I can't yet accept the idea of packaging my kids into something Tesla 3-sized and expecting AI to deliver them where they need to be safely, all the time.

Not yet anyway. If the goal of raising our kids is to get them to adulthood I'd rather pay the insurance premium to wrap them in 3 tons of steel while giving them the tools & skills to effectively manage driving themselves until the day AI really is an improvement over the median driver out there, and until the day 3 and 4 ton pickups on bald mud terrains are the exception and not the rule on the roads. :D

X2 on this. I sometimes question whether it would make sense to acquire a more economical DD. Truth is the almost 3 ton LC is like an insurance policy, and worth every penny to our family.

X2 on this. I sometimes question whether it would make sense to acquire a more economical DD. Truth is the almost 3 ton LC is like an insurance policy, and worth every penny to our family.

I drive 120 miles per day(no freeway speeds). I would be hitting the gas station every 2 days in a LC, especially since it would not be stock to begin with. My drive is not city or in heavy traffic. 20% of my drive is at 55mph. Right now my DD is an X5 but going to sell or trade it in for a euro car and most likely buy a LC for the winter and road trips with some light/medium off roading.Anything hardcore, we are generally on horses

I'm not clear on what you're suggesting @Angelo1 - are you saying the LC is too expensive to DD? I think @mcgaskins and I had a discussion similar to this once...

120 miles * 5 = 600 miles * 52 = 31,200 miles annually. Assuming you get the average mpg I see on my truck (13.5) that's 2,311 gallons of gas a year. I buy 85 at Costco right now and it's $2.25, and has been around there for a while.

So while that's $5200 in gas annually, and ~20 minutes a week of your life spent at the filling station - financially - it's extremely tough to justify a second car as a cost-savings measure, even if it gets 2-5x the MPGs. @mcgaskins and I sort of agreed that if it's fully depreciated you have a chance to get your money "back" when you have car ADD like he and I do and sell the fully-depreciated car and move on to something else, but even then there's still maintenance, insurance, plates, taxes etc. to deal with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the spice of automotive variety. If you're talking about trading in the X5 and moving to a LC and a Euro marque of some kind for an efficient ride, you're already eating some not-insignificant dollars (ask me how I know - I traded our X5M into the dealer we bought our 200 from.)

With all that said, I am (now) generally at peace with the fact that even with the operating cost premium a 200 brings, it's a better car to drive than many, safer than most, and that even when I scheme on how I could save miles and gas dollars on the LC taking the kids to school by finding a $2500 Prius that needs $1000 batteries and how I could do it on the cheap and save money - that it would take years to just break even... and then I'd be driving a Prius. :p

Of the 3 cars currently on my insurance card, the LC gets the best gas mileage which is a sorry state of affairs, and all of these are "nice to haves" for sure.

Overall though if I was in your situation of wanting a 200 but also driving a lot of miles daily - I'd much rather pile a quarter million miles on an LC over the next decade.

After that, if compelled to do so, you would still be able to sell it probably for no less than $15k because LCs have residuals that are among the very best - versus trying to split miles between the LC and a euro car that will almost assuredly have more depreciation as a percentage of the purchase price as well as have far higher maintenance costs. Just some $0.02 and food for thought!

Last edited:
I'm not clear on what you're suggesting @Angelo1 - are you saying the LC is too expensive to DD? I think @mcgaskins and I had a discussion similar to this once...

120 miles * 5 = 600 miles * 52 = 31,200 miles annually. Assuming you get the average mpg I see on my truck (13.5) that's 2,311 gallons of gas a year. I buy 85 at Costco right now and it's $2.25, and has been around there for a while.

So while that's $5200 in gas annually, and ~20 minutes a week of your life spent at the filling station - financially - it's extremely tough to justify a second car as a cost-savings measure, even if it gets 2-5x the MPGs. @mcgaskins and I sort of agreed that if it's fully depreciated you have a chance to get your money "back" when you have car ADD like he and I do and sell the fully-depreciated car and move on to something else, but even then there's still maintenance, insurance, plates, taxes etc. to deal with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the spice of automotive variety. If you're talking about trading in the X5 and moving to a LC and a Euro marque of some kind for an efficient ride, you're already eating some not-insignificant dollars (ask me how I know - I traded our X5M into the dealer we bought our 200 from.)

With all that said, I am (now) generally at peace with the fact that even with the operating cost premium a 200 brings, it's a better car to drive than many, safer than most, and that even when I scheme on how I could save miles and gas dollars on the LC taking the kids to school by finding a $2500 Prius that needs $1000 batteries and how I could do it on the cheap and save money - that it would take years to just break even... and then I'd be driving a Prius. :p

Of the 3 cars currently on my insurance card, the LC gets the best gas mileage which is a sorry state of affairs, and all of these are "nice to haves" for sure.

Overall though if I was in your situation of wanting a 200 but also driving a lot of miles daily - I'd much rather pile a quarter million miles on an LC over the next decade.

After that, if compelled to do so, you would still be able to sell it probably for no less than $15k because LCs have residuals that are among the very best - versus trying to split miles between the LC and a euro car that will almost assuredly have more depreciation as a percentage of the purchase price as well as have far higher maintenance costs. Just some $0.02 and food for thought!

Wow! Thanks or being the voice of reason and laying out the cost factors. I think you convinced me that the LC should be my DD, especially since the euro ride should been in the low 30k price range. I just hate putting so many pavement miles on the LC and hitting the gas station often even though I can write off the mileage with my business. Gas where I’m located is closer to 2.50 but that’s just splitting hairs.

That was probably me you're referring to ;) I got a Porsche dealer to give me a "buy bid" on my Macan S, then I took that to a different dealer to buy my Land Cruiser and paid tax on the difference only. The dealer I bought my Land Cruiser from took my Macan in on trade as if they were going to put it in their inventory, I gave them the check for the difference plus tax, then they transferred it to the Porsche dealer who gave me the buy bid. It's not a very common transaction, but if the stars align just right it can work very well.

This is what I do on all my vehicles if I don’t find my own private party buyer.

Patience pays off.

Wow! Thanks or being the voice of reason and laying out the cost factors. I think you convinced me that the LC should be my DD, especially since the euro ride should been in the low 30k price range. I just hate putting so many pavement miles on the LC and hitting the gas station often even though I can write off the mileage with my business. Gas where I’m located is closer to 2.50 but that’s just splitting hairs.

The depreciation & maintenance on the other will be far greater than the difference in fuel consumption.

Trust me I did this same scenario a few years back. Sold my 07 b/c I have a 62 also, and thought having something “more DD” would help, but it didn’t. Then switching back into my current 200 cost me more, but I’m settled and learned my lesson.

That’s lesson is keep what you like and love if you can afford it, and just enjoy it. Life’s too short. I’m blessed & fortunate to have this mentality for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom