Jason's FJ6.0 Vortec Overland Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks freaking great! Pictures are getting me thinking.

I'm headed on a extended North American road trip with my girlfriend and the FJ60, leaving here in a few days. Since we will be living out of the truck we decided to build a storage/sleeping platform and also get an ARB awning with SideRoom tent. We will mostly sleep in the ARB side room but if we need to do some stealth camping or in areas with grizzly bears we will sleep in the truck.

We built the platform from 1/2 plywood and made the drawers with no rollers so they just slide wood on wood. We did seal everything and it seems to be working well.

Almost all the platforms out there either don't incorporate a fridge or the fridge is taking away a large amount of the sleeping space. I wanted to have enough space that we could both sleep comfortably so I decided to mount the fridge behind the passenger seat so it could be accessed on the move or from the side door without dealing with all the swing outs and what not on the back. I build the platform height to be the same height as the fridge to incorporate it into the platform so we would have as must space as possible. We are using a 4' x 6' rock climbing crash pad as our mattress on top of the platform.

We made a flip up side compartment on the driver side using a piano hinge and left the similar compartment on the passenger side open.

Well I'll let the photos explain the rest.
IMG_5444.jpg

IMG_9830.jpg
IMG_9832.jpg
IMG_9836.jpg
IMG_9838.jpg

SOA Lift with front shackle Reversal

315/75/16 KM2s on 16" Toyota steelies with spacers.

How do you like this wheel and tire setup? I think it looks badass, but I wanted your opinion.

fj60-jpg.897180

How do you like this wheel and tire setup? I think it looks badass, but I wanted your opinion.

fj60-jpg.897180

Looks like SOA with 16" steelies? Most FJC's are 17" so not sure what they are from. Black I think looks great with the freeborn red. KO2's?

Looks like SOA with 16" steelies? Most FJC's are 17" so not sure what they are from. Black I think looks great with the freeborn red. KO2's?

They're Tacoma 16" steelies and BFG Mud Terrains.

I agree black wheels with Freeborn Red paint looks awesome!

Last edited:
IMG_3787.JPG
IMG_4062.JPG
They're Tacoma 16" steelies and BFG Mud Terrains.

I agree black with Freeborn Red looks awesome!

I'm working toward that myself. Picking up a set of FJC steelies tomorrow! My paint isn't as fresh as yours.

Post up more photos of your rear storage build out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom