After months of searching, today I brought home my FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked this beauty up today, super excited about it. I'll use this thread to document the build, have some reliability mods and a few other things planned for this in the coming months. Stock, low mileage, unresored and unmolested...a blank canvas. In the meantime, here are some photos...

untitled-0638 by Jared, on Flickr
untitled-0630 by Jared, on Flickr
untitled-0645-1 by Jared, on Flickr
untitled-0641 by Jared, on Flickr

That's a beauty. Really nice. Where did you find it? Looks great. Don't change it too much.

You got a great looking truck. Very nice. More pics needed of the undercarriage and frame.

That is saawweeet. Almost too clean to mod. Enjoy it.

Really nice. Makes me miss stock bumpers. Keep it clean!

About all she needs is an OME lift and 33's. Great find!

. Agreed. Awesome looking 60 and a rare find anymore. Treat it right and it will make you a great rig ..

Yes at this point, with these trucks over 30 years old, the more stock it is (bumpers, wheels, tires, suspension) the more jaw dropping it looks. A super clean fully stock FJ60 is the ultimate. Well, OK, you can put on 235/75R15 or 30" tires if you want - but stop there!

Great looking 60!

It's almost to clean to seem real... Blue 60's are my favorite colors but man that Tan might have just pulled to the lead!

Congrats on the truck drive and enjoy!

No worries, not going to go crazy with this one. I primary bought this to be a daily driver believe it or not. I really hate new vehicles, and would rather deal with something that is old and potentially finicky, than drop 45k on a brand new car that's going to depreciate the moment I drive it off the lot. I'm also toying with the idea of seeing how it handles towing duty once I get everything sorted with it. I've got a 93 RX7 (see photo) that sees lots of out of state events, and it would be nice to be able to haul it with the 60.

After the first day some small things have already popped up. It was 90ish here in Boston today and I saw the temp gauge climbing on my way into work this afternoon. Looks like cooling system maintenance had moved to the top of the list of priorities. Radiator, thermostat and new hoses will be the first items getting any attention. What are everyone's recommendations for radiator upgrades these days, I searched a bit and came up with a bunch of different answers? The Cool Cruisers one seems to be a good option, but I don't know much about the company. there seems to be lots of options though, I'd like to stay away from the Ebay brands and Mishimoto as I've had mixed luck with them on other projects. Ron Davis and Koyo are options albeit pricey ones, I've got a Koyo in my RX7 and it's an awesome product. At the moment it's looking like the Cool Cruisers one is the best option because of it's stock appearance, thicker core, and middle of the road pricing.

Here's the other toy.

Front by Jared, on Flickr
Brap by Jared, on Flickr

It's almost to clean to seem real... Blue 60's are my favorite colors but man that Tan might have just pulled to the lead!

Congrats on the truck drive and enjoy!

Everyone knows dune beige 60's are the best color.

Yes, a lift and some 33's would make that truck perfect.

Nice score!

Keep us posted.

Cheers!
Ed

And park it in winter. It's going to rot soon, if driven in Boston winters..

When they look that nice I feel they should stay parked in the winter, and not be subjected to winter driving.

Very nice find and the 464 Beige will always be my first love of these vehicles.
As for towing capacity, well really depends on how fast and how far you are going. Depending on the health of the engine you may be able to do it but you won't be going anywhere quickly. Once you throw some hills in there you are going even less quickly!! LOL

Radiator, thermostat and new hoses will be the first items getting any attention. What are everyone's recommendations for radiator upgrades these days, I searched a bit and came up with a bunch of different answers? The Cool Cruisers one seems to be a good option, but I don't know much about the company. there seems to be lots of options though, I'd like to stay away from the Ebay brands and Mishimoto as I've had mixed luck with them on other projects. Ron Davis and Koyo are options albeit pricey ones, I've got a Koyo in my RX7 and it's an awesome product. At the moment it's looking like the Cool Cruisers one is the best option because of it's stock appearance, thicker core, and middle of the road pricing.

I have a brand new champion 3 row aluminum radiator for an FJ60 that I would love to sell. Long story short, I ended up with two because of an ebay problem. I have the exact same one in my FJ62 and it handles summers in Memphis with no drama.

After the first day some small things have already popped up. It was 90ish here in Boston today and I saw the temp gauge climbing on my way into work this afternoon. Looks like cooling system maintenance had moved to the top of the list of priorities. Radiator, thermostat and new hoses will be the first items getting any attention. What are everyone's recommendations for radiator upgrades these days, I searched a bit and came up with a bunch of different answers? The Cool Cruisers one seems to be a good option, but I don't know much about the company. there seems to be lots of options though, I'd like to stay away from the Ebay brands and Mishimoto as I've had mixed luck with them on other projects. Ron Davis and Koyo are options albeit pricey ones, I've got a Koyo in my RX7 and it's an awesome product. At the moment it's looking like the Cool Cruisers one is the best option because of it's stock appearance, thicker core, and middle of the road pricing.

I have the Ron Davis and it's been good for the last 6 or 7 years, but I did replace the water pump and fan clutch with new OEM when that went in. So a lot of improvements to the cooling system were made at the same time. Things to consider while you're in there.

Lots of people here sound happy with the Champion for much less $ than the RD. You could put the "savings" into the WP and fan clutch. The RD is probably overkill unless it's in front of a V8.

Another thing I experienced - the fresh, tight new radiator and water pump (along with the main inlet and outlet hoses) shook out a number of little leaks elsewhere in the system, kind of like squeezing a balloon. So plan on chasing that old leaking coolant smell under the hood after the the radiator gets replaced (and whatever else).

That's a really nice looking truck.... in the best color of course. Congrats-

Very nice.
Low mileage you say, how many?
I towed my race car short distances but the 60 was really inadequate. Of course I live at 5000' in a mountainous area so your experience may be different. The Mazda looks like fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom