KONI - Anyone use them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my TJM XGS Tiger adjustable shocks are on their way out. All the bushings are looking a little rough and some are looking REALLY rough.

xyirNCAUcvuk0XPOOUXt05ZabBEAdTbIgiYv3y8FhqIK11HjelXdAVmBISAHrJQRLYNlf42w75QsnErXPjIcrpp-QFI-ZHYwS4TYl-UPOKD5g4uo3zRGXHK2-vv3CwFR5owjOs349hWpRmysRpPQx5SE0oYBmh8sl6L1Be8qt3AjSabfYoDvgON817XRq4UEvLB9D6lvc_swLIQmAxxlRRg6EGRI0xqyFvAx19XVXMCvjIp6gtGAcXpJrsZ4vuEhDqL1CvSinGNaPmi_FYxJJZJpz3HovtiNfPGa-qCfYhPk3goiV7dFn1eLmxpP2YDRU4rv22jPiLGNY_hecsxe1IOZo5XzQXhnZM6vU3MtMIn2e7C_RItqfzOJ2BOXpj5i7Oqm2sVk2ioInzf_cCkFu-AfIZdHjIw-gBPeC7_JXe1rWkApyP4Acx3XbSNj4xmQp6XOpRiC-GBsvrUo1RlyAfiAfRzvuZCQM61eA6h-N_v7NF2iHwvB-wPhI-ABPGfGy5D7Fowsyv8jf9BtZL4_qiDgGqGIDl5iy6-wOZsDdz9F4aqxBJMwdxhD_fumueNwlKmvHzp49qfnHF4ZMKnYz-SjMsbzxj9rIGV1_o5zSoE=w2362-h3148-no

Plus they are getting a little dusty where the dust boot has been rubbing and the adjustment system is starting to become less than reliable.

So im back to a place where many threads are - "What suspension should I buy?"

I've been looking at OME, FOX, RADFLO (goo to their prices!), ICON, ETC. And I know I've heard the pros and cons for each for some time now.

I have decided I don't want OME because they are just too stiff. My truck has a 50mm tjm progressive rate lift and very little added weight to the truck. No bumpers, no dual batts, etc. I like the spring rate a lot, I also really liked having adjustability in the shocks because going from unladed DD to fully loaded touring rig is nice to have. The thing I hated about the TJM was that they adjusted rebound and compression in lock step, so to get adequate roll control off road meant a high damping rate that made the ride miserable.

Fox I hear is good, ICON is rebuildable fox as far as I can work out. But I recently found out KONI has a shock, 2 actually, for the 80 series. Their website is junk though and they don't respond to email as to what they offer and I was hoping to see if anyone has any info or has run them? The series they offers claims to have adjustable rebound but, like I said, I can't find any info on them. Any help?

Also, I would love to hear your experiences with FOX and progressive rate springs if you have them.

Willing to spend about $200 per shock.

EDIT - Now that I go back and look I can't find the Koni for the cruiser anymore on their site.

Last edited:
I've never heard of Koni's for an 80 series, but I have used Koni Yellows on a street car in the past and they were fantastic. Had to drill out the rear strut mounts to install the rears (weakening what was already a failure prone part), and cut the stock struts to install the front inserts, so far from bolt in, but once in they were great.

I've had the Fox 2.0 IFP's and they lasted about a year, I went with ICON 2.0's this time around and they've been great so far.

UPDATE: just got off the phone with KONI, of the 3 offerings on their site only 1 (P/N 88-1688/88-1689) is available and its only available in the states with a 50 unit order or more. So...not available.

I've never heard of Koni's for an 80 series, but I have used Koni Yellows on a street car in the past and they were fantastic. Had to drill out the rear strut mounts to install the rears (weakening what was already a failure prone part), and cut the stock struts to install the front inserts, so far from bolt in, but once in they were great.

I've had the Fox 2.0 IFP's and they lasted about a year, I went with ICON 2.0's this time around and they've been great so far.

What went wrong with your FOX? I just talked to them about what it takes to revalve and its very temping to go that route for the cost to benefit ratio there.

Do a search on those FOX's, I feel like everyone's die after a year.

What went wrong with your FOX? I just talked to them about what it takes to revalve and its very temping to go that route for the cost to benefit ratio there.

The good got out somehow, leaving an oily mess at the base, and blown shocks on my truck way too soon.

I had Koni's (yellows/adj - had a 4 detent select from 'comfort' to 'sport') --- but that was back in my boy racer /early 20's out of college drove a hopped up GTI that I treated like hell on wheels. On studded Moonies (a local tire that are retreads with gumball rubber & stud-able) I was a nut driving to & from the Mount Baker ski area lot.

I loved my Konis - they were ~$200 more for all 4 over the Bilstein shocks that were really the only other real option back then.

Soft was soft enough to handle driving into & out of Seattle in the early 90's when the N end section of Southbound I-5 was horrendous, firm/sport was firm enough my sport springs made for a great combo esp w/ gumball rubber tires.

I blew 2 different Bilsteins on other cars like my E30, but never once had a issue with Koni. Frankly, I'd give 'em a shot over Nitrochargers.

That's funny.
I like my Bilsteins HD because they are very stiff, on a rather light truck. ARB front bumper and custom made rear with tire rack on it.
Very little body roll during cornering... as much as you can say that on a tall SUV.

Since you're open to other brands, IDK your budget but I've been toying with doing a Radflo up front, Fox 2.0's out back.

Honestly I've been putting it off for a good ~18 mo.

Really hoping to hear some magical combo someone has come across for us in the ~4" lift zone.

I just wouldn't bother with OME/Nitrochargers again unless price was your major concern - the price is right, and they aren't faulty - they just are uncomfortable for extended offroad miles. IMO.

Too few reviews on the new entry here in US for Dobinson and ToughDog, but people seem to love them so far.

Too few reviews on the new entry here in US for Dobinson and ToughDog, but people seem to love them so far.

I looked at tough dog, seems like the same deal as tjm but more expensive by about 50%. same or very similar tech and maybe even the same manufacture.

Since you're open to other brands, IDK your budget but I've been toying with doing a Radflo up front, Fox 2.0's out back.

Honestly I've been putting it off for a good ~18 mo.

Really hoping to hear some magical combo someone has come across for us in the ~4" lift zone.

I just wouldn't bother with OME/Nitrochargers again unless price was your major concern - the price is right, and they aren't faulty - they just are uncomfortable for extended offroad miles. IMO.

What's the benefit of this combo? They are both 2 inch gas charged shim damped. Can't see the gain in one over the other except build quality. Radflo says they're valve is speed sensitive but all deflected disc dampers are, right?

If it were me, I'd go for a Dobinsons shock. From what I hear they ride plush and are good quality. I have no first hand experience. So far I am beyond impressed with their springs.

I looked at tough dog, seems like the same deal as tjm but more expensive by about 50%. same or very similar tech and maybe even the same manufacture.

Curious where you got your price? If off of the TD website, that is not my pricing. I'm usually the same if not less than OME, IronMan etc.

As far as TJM, can't speak to their comparison. I've never ran them, never been in a rig that was equipped with it or knew anyone that ran it either.

J

What's the benefit of this combo? They are both 2 inch gas charged shim damped. Can't see the gain in one over the other except build quality. Radflo says they're valve is speed sensitive but all deflected disc dampers are, right?
Bingo

Well I do have Koni's, just not on my 80. :)

I have Koni FSD's on my VW and they are awesome shocks. Little movements pass right through unnoticed, and bigger motions are beautifully damped and controlled, just like the FSD's are touted as performing. A rare case of a product meeting it's goals and advertising.

Tough Dog CC bushings are the only type I've used that have lasted more than 2 months thanks to serrated biting edges and actual rubber. Their replacement panhards again use rubber, not poly. Well thought out designs. The only suspension I would consider trying (again) from Oz

Fox 2.0 w/ resi's lasted Kokipelli, Moab, Baja the Panam (30k m), Alaska and a bunch of other abuse. One's hang'n on the wall as a reminder of GOOD TIMES. Maybe the remote resi helped? If others have had problems they were probably close to GVW or were not running boots - scored shafts will take out any shock seal. Some might also be expecting too much out of a 2.0 considering tank status. Custom tuning to match coils is a huge benefit. Free re-valve and great warranty through DSMS. Downside? They will rust - badly.

Icon 2.0's and coils are sitting in the garage to replace the Fox's. Waiting on Landtank's 2.5" CC plates to arrive. The solid AL body is a huge improvement over the Fox's.

My decision was based on supporting a US company, that I can call and order parts or ask for advice when I'm in the garage rebuilding or revalving - which is a huge help - and previous experience with Icon 2.5's on the 100. YMMV.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom