KONI - Anyone use them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the benefit of this combo? They are both 2 inch gas charged shim damped. Can't see the gain in one over the other except build quality. Radflo says they're valve is speed sensitive but all deflected disc dampers are, right?

Oh yeah - they are same-same. Of sorts.

Fox has been a real hit/miss thing the last couple years, all the way down to their bicycle forks / air shocks for rear susp bikes.

I'm thinking that a pair of Radflo's for the front so you know if you see flinging goo, you're more than likely birf soup / tossed a inner seal & out back would be a real blown Fox.

3x the $$ between the 2, but yet to hear of a blown Radflo (but I only hit here, I'm not on Pirate or any sites).

It's sounds like Fox is tightening up, I personally had my 2015/16 fork in for warranty (like alot of us) - and the fork they sent back has ~8mo on it now & in general nobody is complaining in 1st person over on PB like ~2yrs ago. The 1st one I bought I hunted settings forever before finally having Fanatik ~40mins from my place tell me I had one of the many 36's that had crap seals in it.

Part of why I been burying my head in the sand is I'm waiting for Fox to really get their QC back, and the other is flatly I'm not as much on trails as I used to be. Changing priorities, yadda yadda.

I love my 80, but it's been a real mall cruiser the last shy year. I'd rather hitch the boat & play than do as much trails as when I was ~30-35. Besides, at the rate we're mis-managing our fisheries I gotta spend all the time I can on water before the enviro-douches finally kill sport fishing.

Once they kill it entirely I'll revisit how much of the trails they got shut down too. That or I'll just start buying a Canadian fishing tag, those folks know how to manage a resource.

Oh yeah - they are same-same. Of sorts.

Fox has been a real hit/miss thing the last couple years, all the way down to their bicycle forks / air shocks for rear susp bikes.

I'm thinking that a pair of Radflo's for the front so you know if you see flinging goo, you're more than likely birf soup / tossed a inner seal & out back would be a real blown Fox.

3x the $$ between the 2, but yet to hear of a blown Radflo (but I only hit here, I'm not on Pirate or any sites).

It's sounds like Fox is tightening up, I personally had my 2015/16 fork in for warranty (like alot of us) - and the fork they sent back has ~8mo on it now & in general nobody is complaining in 1st person over on PB like ~2yrs ago. The 1st one I bought I hunted settings forever before finally having Fanatik ~40mins from my place tell me I had one of the many 36's that had crap seals in it.

Part of why I been burying my head in the sand is I'm waiting for Fox to really get their QC back, and the other is flatly I'm not as much on trails as I used to be. Changing priorities, yadda yadda.

I love my 80, but it's been a real mall cruiser the last shy year. I'd rather hitch the boat & play than do as much trails as when I was ~30-35. Besides, at the rate we're mis-managing our fisheries I gotta spend all the time I can on water before the enviro-douches finally kill sport fishing.

Once they kill it entirely I'll revisit how much of the trails they got shut down too. That or I'll just start buying a Canadian fishing tag, those folks know how to manage a resource.

This feel cathartic. I know that feel though. Still don't know if I should be sinking money into the 80 or not, but I probably will.

Curious where you got your price? If off of the TD website, that is not my pricing. I'm usually the same if not less than OME, IronMan etc.

As far as TJM, can't speak to their comparison. I've never ran them, never been in a rig that was equipped with it or knew anyone that ran it either.

J

I will have to check your prices, I just don't see how the TD is any different than the TJM, they look the exact same.

Tough Dog CC bushings are the only type I've used that have lasted more than 2 months thanks to serrated biting edges and actual rubber. Their replacement panhards again use rubber, not poly. Well thought out designs. The only suspension I would consider trying (again) from Oz

Fox 2.0 w/ resi's lasted Kokipelli, Moab, Baja the Panam (30k m), Alaska and a bunch of other abuse. One's hang'n on the wall as a reminder of GOOD TIMES. Maybe the remote resi helped? If others have had problems they were probably close to GVW or were not running boots - scored shafts will take out any shock seal. Some might also be expecting too much out of a 2.0 considering tank status. Custom tuning to match coils is a huge benefit. Free re-valve and great warranty through DSMS. Downside? They will rust - badly.

Icon 2.0's and coils are sitting in the garage to replace the Fox's. Waiting on Landtank's 2.5" CC plates to arrive. The solid AL body is a huge improvement over the Fox's.

My decision was based on supporting a US company, that I can call and order parts or ask for advice when I'm in the garage rebuilding or revalving - which is a huge help - and previous experience with Icon 2.5's on the 100. YMMV.

Hope that helps!

Free revalving through DSMS? elaborate please. I called FOX and they charge $35 a shock to revalve. Icon's may be the way forward from what I am hearing.

No experience with Koni on an 80 but, I have fitted them to dozens of road cars over the year's, never had a come back or warrant claim.

Regards

Dave
Sounds like they are out unless I can get lucky and find a set, they wont ship here without a minimum order.

Free revalving through DSMS? elaborate please.
DSMS offered a free re-valve within 6 months of purchase. At least when I bought mine they did. Never used it though. Gave them the OME coils #'s and front/rear scaled weight - shocks worked great out of the box.

DSMS offered a free re-valve within 6 months of purchase. At least when I bought mine they did. Never used it though. Gave them the OME coils #'s and front/rear scaled weight - shocks worked great out of the box.

What is DSMS, Im guessing the MS is motorsports, but I don't recognize the company. I would love to talk to them.

This feel cathartic. I know that feel though. Still don't know if I should be sinking money into the 80 or not, but I probably will.

Haha, I suppose I did kick over a soapbox & get on it.

As many guys as complained over on Pink Bike & here in the 80 forum for the way Fox was working out for them ~2yrs ago, it just seemed like a gamble. Good money after bad, and all that.

But the last 8mo-yr have seen Fox regain the bike quality (no clue on Fox for 4x4's right now) - frankly if they came back solid I'd go Fox on all 4 corners & be happy I didn't pay Radflo $$$.

Plus, Radflo is becoming overkill for my uses anymore, I think I put 200 miles on the 80 in the last 90 days. I fill it with alcohol-free gas it sits so much.

But damn if I even think of selling. That ain't happening.

happy with my koni shocks on my street cars. they're awesome. happy with my fox shocks from downsouth motorsports. wish i could get them valved to feel like my konis, but hey, the fox packaging fits well in the 80 and gives ample travel. maybe i'll tear down the rears again and revalve again. fronts feel good though.

Down South Motor Sports in San Diego.

Edit: If you go with Icon, I'd recommend checking on prices from Just Differentials.

DSMS deals with Icon as well, Sonny gave me a good deal on my Stage 1 setup when I was having issues with the FOX stuff I'd bought through him previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom