High coolant temps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The parts numbers of the various foam seals around the engine compartment, headlights, and radiator, and the dimensions of that specific foam piece under the radiator are in the pdf I linked to in my post on July 14. Looks like ordering all the seals would get expensive, but it would be easy enough to make your own after you know where they're supposed to go. I used a piece of high temp pipe insulation and squashed it into place under the radiator, it hasn't moved since I installed it a couple years ago.

The parts numbers of the various foam seals around the engine compartment, headlights, and radiator, and the dimensions of that specific foam piece under the radiator are in the pdf I linked to in my post on July 14. Looks like ordering all the seals would get expensive, but it would be easy enough to make your own after you know where they're supposed to go. I used a piece of high temp pipe insulation and squashed it into place under the radiator, it hasn't moved since I installed it a couple years ago.

That's what I'll probably end up doing

The foam in the bumper and on the headlights seem like they would not be worth it. The foam seals for the bottom of the Radiator (88578-60330) $15, Hood Seal (53381-60070) $33 are probably the best two you could get and then just add from their the other radiator seals and headlight seals.

Certainly no apples to apples comparison against climbing passes out in Utah. Here is some data I gathered on last weeks trip out to CO that I thought might lend to the discussion. This was early morning in the Flint Hills, elevation maybe 1300', morning temperature about 80*-85* . I couldn't tell you the grade out there are several hill with 1-2 mile climbs that are easily as steep as any of the passes out in CO. The predominant factor out here is the wind. If the wind currents aren't in your favor it can put quite a bit more strain on the drivetrain. Below was a fairly average reading.
IMG_3412.JPG

This one was pretty average anytime we were climbing a hill. Transmission temperatures would jump up rather quickly followed by a brief jump in coolant temps.
IMG_3411.JPG

Followed by a quick drop back down after cresting the hill
IMG_3415.JPG

I didn't gather any scangauge pictures in CO because there was just nothing of interest. The gauge was boringly predictable with temps at 193* and trans temp staying very similar to coolant with the expected 5*-10* jump on climbs. Outside air temps and rain showers probably helped out.

I did however snap these pics while coming back across the flint hills. Outside air temperature was very similar to the day we started our trip, and of course, elevation was the same. The difference this time was the wind. This time we were fighting a full value wind the whole way. The first pic below was an average reading for about a 100 mile section.

IMG_3470.JPG

This was the high for the transmission on a long uphill pull.
IMG_3480.JPG

After cresting the hill you can see the trans temperature drops while the coolant is still absorbing a bit of excess heat. Intake air temperature is now slightly increased, probably due to a small amount of heat soak.
IMG_3487.JPG

Over all the 120 was a lot more enjoyable to drive out to CO than my 80 series. Granted the 80 has better seats and stereo but the 120 has a fantastic power to weight ratio that made usual struggle through the Flint Hills and mountain passes a breeze.

Thank you for this data, Half K Cruiser! I need to order my Scan gauge so I can get a better hold on the trans and coolant temps!

Thank you for this data, Half K Cruiser! I need to order my Scan gauge so I can get a better hold on the trans and coolant temps!

You missed out brother, those things were half price earlier this month ! I'm hoping they do it again as I would be willing to buy another.

You missed out brother, those things were half price earlier this month ! I'm hoping they do it again as I would be willing to buy another.

Did you add a trans temp sensor? or does the GX have one? I use TorquePro and it doesn't offer trans temp but I just assumed there was no sensor on there.

^You have to write a custom PID for Torque PRO to display trans temp. Search the GXOR group on FB for the info. The PID is slightly different depending on year, I think 07-up is different then 03-06

^You have to write a custom PID for Torque PRO to display trans temp. Search the GXOR group on FB for the info. The PID is slightly different depending on year, I think 07-up is different then 03-06

There is a lot of words in there...and I understood some of them.

There is a lot of words in there...and I understood some of them.

You can right custom PID's using torque PRO. Here is the info you need to be able to display trans temps.

OBD2 Mode & PID: 21D9
Long Name: Transmission Temp
Short Name: Trans T
Minimum Value: 0
Maximum Value: 300
Scale Factor: x1
Unit Type: *F
Equation: ((((E*256)+F)*(7/100)-400)/10)
OBD Header: left blank

You can right custom PID's using torque PRO. Here is the info you need to be able to display trans temps.

Sweet I will have to look into how to make this happen. Thanks!

Is this going to cause havoc if I test this on an 80 series? I don't think there is even a temp sensor on the 80 series but just curious.

Is this going to cause havoc if I test this on an 80 series? I don't think there is even a temp sensor on the 80 series but just curious.

There is a temp sensor on the the a343 for sure, the rig has a trans temp warning light which means its there. So far I don't think anyone has utilized it to interpret an actual temperature value in degrees. However, the 80 series should be in ISO format. I do not know how the torque pro app works but it was my intention to hook the scangauge to my 80 and see if it will read trans temp.

There is a temp sensor on the the a343 for sure, the rig has a trans temp warning light which means its there. So far I don't think anyone has utilized it to interpret an actual temperature value in degrees. However, the 80 series should be in ISO format. I do not know how the torque pro app works but it was my intention to hook the scangauge to my 80 and see if it will read trans temp.

Good point, i wonder if its even the kind of sensor than can give a scaled reading or rather if the ecu is even listen for anything but a specific value to triger a light only

I am sure it won't pick up anything for the 80 series. But you can do some searching to find out if anyone has a custom PID for the 80.

Good point, i wonder if its even the kind of sensor than can give a scaled reading or rather if the ecu is even listen for anything but a specific value to triger a light only

All good questions. I think the assumption is that the sensor gets it value based on a specific resistance reading. Therefore you should be able to interpret the resistance values into an actual degrees range. However, if it is only looking for one specific number and the rest of the time is dormant, then you wouldn't have anything to work with. All I need to do is pull the scangauge out of the wife's GX and plug it into my 80 for a minute and I can give you a definite answer.

All good questions. I think the assumption is that the sensor gets it value based on a specific resistance reading. Therefore you should be able to interpret the resistance values into an actual degrees range. However, if it is only looking for one specific number and the rest of the time is dormant, then you wouldn't have anything to work with. All I need to do is pull the scangauge out of the wife's GX and plug it into my 80 for a minute and I can give you a definite answer.

Exactly, the sensor is almost certainly based on a resistance reading which would make its reading variable, but what its reporting to the ECU and what the ECU then reports out are the real question.

Ok, I thought I would update the board on my findings so far.

The ambient temperatures at night were 95-98F here in Arizona, with a high % of humidity.
I had the AC on the whole time and the highest temperature I saw was 198F. This included idling for 10 minutes with the AC on and freeway driving @ 70mph.

I can't say for sure if the problem has been fixed as I'm waiting for a hot day with higher ambient temperatures so I can measure apples to apples. One thing for sure is that the coolant temperatures drop MUCH faster than they did before once the load is removed. I used to watch the temperatures on deceleration in gear coming off of the freeway, for example. Before I could hit 190-194F by the end of the off ramp. Last night at the same speed and conditions I saw 188F coolant temps before I reached the end of the same off ramp. Could be the cooler temperatures affecting it, but so far I am pleased with the cooling performance. I also noticed that the engine fan has enough vacuum to windmill the electrical fan under certain conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom