FJ55 on Coilovers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope this is hardcore. This will be my first post here. I have an FJ55 that seems like a never ending project. I just finished my first 3 link tell me what you think.

Got back down to IronPig's so I could get back to work on the 55. We fixed the Panhard bracket on the frame and flexed it out. The 55 is flexing pretty well but the springs still seem too stiff.

Here are the photos.

Around 38"+ of lift, you don't hear much about RTI ramps any more but should be around 1040.

DSCN0233.JPG

Need to do something about the reservoirs

DSCN0234.JPG

Rear tire stuffed

DSCN0237.JPG

Pretty good droop.

DSCN0238.JPG

Ryan.

Last edited:
Very Nice. I love that pig. Is that the one getting the Tundra v8 and lexus transmission? Maybe it's the other way around. Regardless, it looks great, I will be interested to see it when its all done.

Brian

FJ55

The FJ55 drivetrain is in, we just need to get it wired up. The drivetrain is a Tundra V8 with a supercharger, a Lexus LX470 transmission, and an FJ80 transfercase. I am also using the FJ80 axles with electric lockers. There are so many first for me on this project it has taken 3x's as long as I thought it would.

Ryan.

Nice, got it over into hard core were this build belongs, a built 55...............

I was up at Lance's shop last week and saw this in person. WAY COOL rig! I don't even want to know how much $ you have into that. Killer concept. Hopefully you will still be able to drive it on the street. I can't wait to see it completed.

Green73,

Thanks for the compliment. The concept has change quite a bit since its inception. Some of the changes are from necessity, and some of them are from want. I have tried to keep the costs pretty low, by doing as much of the work as possible, and even painting it. Most of the design is my idea, while the execution was done by the past and present employees of Ironpigoffroad. I am hoping to put in a lot of work next week to get many of the small things wrapped up. Cam from Ironpig is promissing me that we will have the hood and fenders on early next week, and we will start working on fuel issues. I really want to try and keep it drivable on the street. It looks huge, but hopefully it won't be any taller than a regular FJ55 sprung over.

*If anyone has a 55 sprung over on 37" tires, could you get me a measurement to the top of the roof.

Thanks,
Ryan.

Ryan.

Dude!I was just over at Iron Pig a few days ago and must say this is by far the sweetest 55 I have ever laid my eyes on.I can't wait to see it when it's done.
-Rob :zilla:

I have mine on 36" swampers...I'll take a measurement for ya...

lookin good...

bk

Coilovers

Alby,

The shocks are 14" fox coilovers. Due to some confusion about the compressed length, I built the upper shock mounts a little lower then I would have liked. This results in only 5" of up tavel and 9" of droop. I think that it will work fine, but I would like to have moved the shock tower up for a little more compression. Realistically I think a 14" shock is going to be about as large as you can go without going through the hood or raising the ride height. With some very careful planning, a 16" might be possible.

Ryan.

Looking real good Ryan,

What length coilover are they? How much did they settle once the full weight of the truck is on them?

Alby

my soa fj55 on 36" tsl is 26" to 27" from ground to bottom of frame at the front
I think it is 78" or so from ground to top of roof (measured in front of the rear tire)

you know, it's too bad the fj cruiser isn't as pretty as the 55's :grinpimp:

bk

Alby,

The shocks are 14" fox coilovers. Due to some confusion about the compressed length, I built the upper shock mounts a little lower then I would have liked. This results in only 5" of up tavel and 9" of droop. I think that it will work fine, but I would like to have moved the shock tower up for a little more compression. Realistically I think a 14" shock is going to be about as large as you can go without going through the hood or raising the ride height. With some very careful planning, a 16" might be possible.

Ryan.

Thanks Ryan,

That’s a shame about the original confusion – how far from the top of the frame are your upper mounting points? Don’t you think your could go 16” having the hoops just under bonnet height? Or do you want to have more up travel? Is there an optimum both down/up travel distance you are seeking? Keep up the good work and get the longer hoops in there…..

Alby

Alby,

I can't remember the height of the mounting points from the top of the frame, but I will measure them the next time I am down at the shop. I think that 16" might work, but it would take quite a bit of planning, and you might have a little taller ride height. I made some very simple rookie mistakes with this suspension. It will work, but if I had to do it again, I would raise the shock hoops. As it sits now it would take a lot of work to cut out the hoops and re-do them, not to mention at $85 an hour, it would be an expensive job.

What happened:
I built the suspension at full stuff and used the compressed height of the shock to build my hoops. My mistake was that I used the compressed height of Fox's 2" coilover (21") not the height of the 2.5" (24.5") If I would have used the right compressed length I would have made the hoops 3.5" taller which would be pretty close to the top of the engine bay. I am going to see how it works, before I make any changes. I don't think that it will be horrible, I will use the air bumps to help control the uptravel, so it shouldn't be a hard stop.

Ryan.

New Photos!

Lou Brown was able to snap some new photos for me when he went down to the shop. I am working on swapping the front coilovers out from 14" to 12" so that I can bring the ride height down a couple of inches. The rear is a plain spring over with stock leafs, and right now the front is only about an 1" taller. What do you think?

1000.jpg

1001.jpg

1002.jpg

Ryan.

ATS,

I am planning on dropping the 55 around 2-2.5" that should help lower the angles on the front arms. I am looking at having the arms at around 6 degrees, after I lower the 55. I wanted to keep the link mounts as high as possible on the frame, maybe that isn't the best idea.... I never read anything on the "best" way to mount lower, but I would be very interested in your ideas.

Ryan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom