Tranny Rebuild -Shadetree Mechanic Style (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank said:
Now see.....you're just being cruel!

:D
Don't worry, wrap up will come soon enough.

I'll give a list of tools needed and total cost. Tools needed should be the same for both style trannys.

Jim,

Just let me know when I can drop my tranny by your house like the good parent that I am :D As far as I'm concerened, you're a "certified" Toy tranny rebuilder, err, if the 500 mile test drive come out fine that is!

Ali

jklubens said:
:D
Don't worry, wrap up will come soon enough.

I'll give a list of tools needed and total cost. Tools needed should be the same for both style trannys.

Can you also estimate number of hours you have in to it. I know it will be different for everyone but a ballpark would be nice.

12-24-05 Update

Lars, thanks for reminding me. I'll add that to the list of detail fer ya.

12-23/24 rebuild transfer adaptor.

Well, I experienced something today that was in the back of my mind for some time, heat and bolt yields. When you chance the temper of a bolt it will change the yield at which it starts to fail. I believe that what happened to a select group of bolts over the past few years is overheating.

Case in point, upon rebuilding the transfer adaptor I re-used the old bolts that I took off during disassembly. While torqueing down the five (Hexagon head bolt 5T 10mm diameter to 32 N-m) for the rear bearing retainer I noticed that the torque wrench I was using (deflecting beam) remain consistent at 20N-m for over 720º in revolution.

Well I finally broke one. So I went to Lowe’s today (Yeah, I know it's Xmas Eve) and bought five allenhead bolts and washers. After finding the right size I mounted everything back up.

Pic 1: Broken rear bearing retainer bolts.

With some forethought on Thursday I ordered new oil pump bolts to be on the safe side as I have not tightened this down yet. They will be in on Tuesday.

Pic 2: In this picture you can see the prawn that is attached to the left side of the adaptor housing. This prawn along with the governor body is what holds the rig in place when you put the gear shifter in 'P'.

Pic 3: Toyota is pretty smart. See the notches on the adaptor and the rear bearing housing. This is actually a whole for ATF to pass and lubricate the bearing seal. This plate can only go on one way. The bolt pattern is offset just enough for alignment.
12-24-05 008.JPG
12-24-05 001.JPG
12-24-05 002.JPG

Last edited:
12-28-05 Update

After the last incident with breaking bolts I decided to buys some new ones for the oil pump. I placed an order with the dealership for 11 M10 50mm length flange bolts on 12/23/05. Dealer said they should be here on 12/27/05, No problem.

Well, by 4:30pm the parts truck did not make it to my dealer in Indy. I was getting really anxious to get the truck on the road so I headed over to Ace to see if they had a similar bolt. Sure enough they had'em, great. Next, torque'em down to 21N-m. I finished putting all the other parts on the tranny like oil lines, pan and wiring.

Once everything was buttoned up I starting putting the tranny back in the rig.
Now, I don't have the rig high enough in the air to put the tranny in the stand and slide it under the rig so I have to slide the tranny under the rig while on the ground and start levering the damn thing up with 2x4 blocks and jack stands.
This was a comical event to say the least.

Anyway, here are some pics.
12-28-05 01.JPG
12-28-05 05.JPG
12-28-05 07.JPG

Well Jim you are a tranny Pro now good job glad to see you have it done congrats.

*******Preliminary Results*********

This morning I spent putting the drive shafts back on and filling the tranny with ATF. After that, the first test drive.

1. Warmed up the engine and cycled thru the gears so that the ATF can fill up all the gulley ways in the valve body.

2. Top off ATF. Total filled was about 11 1/2 quarts.

3. Adjust the tranny throttle cable.

4. I took the rig around the block for the first testing. It still had some problems with shifting gears during the block tour. Came back home and check the fuild again, topped off a little more.

5. Took it out for about 3 miles. Shifting was smooth for all for gears.

6. Came back to the house to check for any leaks. No Leaks, great. Check the fuild again. No problem.

7. First test around I-465 (Indy's business loop around the city.) By all accounts everything checked out. I got the rig up to 65mph at 2400rpms. That's about normal for my rig. Total milage was about 50 miles.

8. Back to the house and checked for leaks and top off the ATF. No leaks and slight topping off of ATF.

Once I get 500 miles on the rig I'll come back with the tools needed, duration and cost for the entire project.

Awesome JKL, this has been an incredible write-up and glad to see it have a happy ending. Thanks for all the great info.

I'm pulling for ya Jimbo. Hope to see you sunday!

Ali

Duration, Cost and Tools

Okay, I'm feeling pretty confident about the rebuild so here are the details.

[Timing]
Well all total the rig was down for about three months. With working 50 hours per week and waiting on parts as I found them to be bad, this was the result.
Consolidated; the timing was about 50-65 hours. Keep in mind that this was the first time to rebuild a tranny, this involved: dropping the tranny, disassembly, cleaning, inspection, measurements, and assembly.
After the first rebuild the learning curve going way down resulting in a shorter leadtime. Let's hope it does not happen again.

[Cost/Tools]
Vendor Part/Tool Cost Notes

Toyota-- Bolt, Flange Type-- $30.03-- oil pump to tranny housing

Toyota-- Bolt, Washer Base-- $12.78-- front/rear oil pump plates

Toyota-- Spacer-- $7.65-- To hold pin in Manual Valve Lever. Old part can't be reused.

Toyota-- Race, Thrust Bearing-- $17.57-- Bought due to crack condition.

Axiom-- Tranny Rebuild Kit-- $316.68-- All gaskets, steel plates, clutches and seals.
Kit is also available without steels for about $184.00

AutoZone-- Transmission Filter-- $21.88

AutoZone-- Loctite 248 Threadlocker--$11.98 Loctite® QuickStix™ 248™ Threadlocker, Medium Strength

AutoZone-- Case of ATF-- $34.68-- 12 quarts of ATF

Lowes-- Metric Lock Washer-- $0.68-- For Rear Bearing Seal Housing

Lowes-- Metric Hex Socket Head-- $4.00-- For Rear Bearing Seal Housing

Ace Hardware-- Bolts and washers-- $6.87-- Assorted for rear tranny cover, accumulator cover

Sub-Total Parts Cost $464.80

Tools needed to buy:

Harbor Freight Tools-- 5" C-Clamp-- $9.98-- For compressing the spring rings on Clutch Assy.

Harbor Freight Tools-- Pliers-- $4.99-- For 'C' clips

Harbor Freight Tools-- 3.5 Gallon Parts Washer-- $49.99 -- To clean all parts.

Menards-- 1/2" square tube x 1/16"T-- $7.50-- To make SST Check Ball Spring Compressor 09350-06100

Menards-- Parts cleaning Brush-- $9.99-- For parts cleaning Tank

Sears-- Punch 1/2x MDS-- $5.99-- Needed to stake Spacer 90560-20008

SPX-- Replacer, Rear Bearing-- $31.14 --

Wholesale Tool-- 1/4x1/2x18" Flat Steel-- $10.80-- Used to make SST Plate Bar 09350-06090

Sub-total Tools Cost $130.38

Total Cost $595.18

Tool Needed:
1923805563_5d39ce7012.jpg

Air Compressor with air nozzles. Used for air drying parts and getting pistons out.
Hammer
Screwdrivers
1/8" punch. Used to drive the push pin out on the
Snap Ring Pliers
Neuton Meter / inch pd torque wrench
Needle nose Pliers
Feeler Gauges
Magnetic Fingers
Inside Bore Micrometer Preferably mm
Calipers Preferably mm
paper and pencil
Dental picks or sometime of that nature
Petroleum Jelly
Dial Indicator
Coat Hangers Used to make SST's 09350-06110, 09350-06120
8,10,12,14 mm deep well/short sockets
crescent wrench
Pan big enough to soak clutches in
At least four to five bins to keep major subcomponents together.
And you'll need ATF in a Febreze spray bottle.
1923805965_f1d3da9d63.jpg

I have more details in an Excel spreadsheet if you want it. Just email me and I'll send it to you. I also have more pics that's not on MUD if you'd like.

I hope this helps someone out if the need arises.

[Resourses]
Order Manuals:
To order a Factory Repair Manual from Toyota call 1 (800) 622 2033
Publication number for the A440F ( MY 1991-1992) RM258U
Publication number for the A442F ( MY 1993-1995) RM388
Publication number for the A343F ( MY 1995andup) RM479
The manual runs about $15.00 plus shipping.

Also please note that the Special Service Tools are only listed in the Tranny repair manuals. And the Factory Service Manuals for that matter.

Order Special Service Tools:
SPX Corporation, OTC
28635 Mound Road
Warren, MI 48092-3499

Phone 1-800-933-8335
Business Hours:
8:00 am - 6:00 pm EST
Fax 1-800-578-7375
or
1-586-578-7375

Order Tranny rebuild kit:
Axiom Automotive Technologies

Edit 11.26.2011:
Axiom has been acquired by Transtar Industries:
Transmission Parts - Transtar Industries Inc.

Or your local Toyota Dealer

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Hey Jimmy--

many congratulations for undertaking this and succeeding in finishing the job.

:cheers: :cheers:

What a heroic venture.

I do hope that this is something I do not have to face for a very long time...if ever.

So, when ya coming out towards Akron??

I want to see the work first hand.

Cheers and happy new year.
-onur
Akron, OH

:cheers:

Nice work, I know it has to be satisfying to do that very long detailed job yourself and see it come out good, do you think the last rebuilder who you most likely paid big bucks took as much time and paid as much attention to the details? If he had would you have had to go back in?

Although transmissions are not a common problem here I still think these needs to be in the FAQ.

Onur-
Thanks for the congrats. It does feel good.
Well if the bolts had not held me up I would have been in WV right now skiing and stopping to see you, Tim and Kirk.
I think some weekend in Jan I'll head over and stop in and see how the V8's going. Thanks again.

RT-
My feeling on the last rebuilder is that they did the minimum to get by. I don't think they rebuilt the valve body, just some mild cleaning and replaced the clutches. I'm extremely happy to have done a job for $465 rather than pay someone $3000 for a job that a consumer is totally ignorant about.

A special thanks to the following:

Cruiser Clint - for barrowing some extra jack stands and the tranny stand.
Rich - for pointing out SPX
Cruiserdan - for the nudge to make this an FAQ
and everyone else for the many words of encouragement.

Last edited:
I am totally impressed. I would NEVER think of going into a tranny for any reason! Model "A" yes, FZJ 80 no way. Nice wright up for sure nice job.

Awsome thread,
Congrat's on your work and reward by doing it yourself.
This thread will inspire me and many others not to fear a rebuild on an A440F.
Wonderful write up on parts, tools and SST's. This entire thread will be an valuable resource for everyone. Thanks, to you for all your work and attention to detail, and once again Congrat's.

Great Job and thanks for sharing!

I've enjoyed following this thread the last several weeks.

jklubens- fantastic write-up on a job not many of us would attempt. Looks like you got it right the first time, which is extremely impressive, as well. :cheers:

Very, very nice job. I think if it passed the test drive, it's gonna be OK for a long time.

I did not see how much Fabreeze was needed in the parts list, yet I saw it in every picture. Do I need to buy the big re-fill jug at Sam's club? :D

Hope to see it in action next time at the Badlands.

Gumby,
I added a picture for ya.

Thanks, I'm actually thinking about joining Ali on Sunday at Attica if you can believe that. That's the true test.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom