What's the best FJ40 repair manual? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is your opinons on the best repair manual for my '80 FJ40? I figure if I get a good one, I can stop asking so many dumb questions, lol. :D

I figured that there had to be a better one that what you find in the local parts store, like Chilton's.

body & chasis manual from Toy

The Toyota Factory Service Manual. (FSM). At a minimum the Chassis & Body repair manual and 2F Engine repair manual. You can also get the Emissions manual too if you still have your smog gear. Available from CDan, SOR, MAF etc.

Spike;
Consider, also, the Toy manual 98231 and 98333 on emission stuff. There is info in these manuals that can not be found elsewhere; like distributor info.

Also consider the Haynes manual; 1968 thru 1982; ISBN 1 56392 023 9.
It has some good info inside, but beware; some of the diagrams (wiring) are not totally correct, read with a grain of salt.

There is a large wiring diagram and schematic of the 1980 LC that may come with the 98231 manual that shows the 1980 wiring as close as u can get. This is the best wiring diagram available.

And lastly, the Gregorys manual 511. This is a beautiful book with really important stuff and good reading to boot...
dfm

I agree with dfmorse - getting Toyota manuals is something very useful providing information which sometimes is hard to find. The Haynes and Gregorys manuals are also invaluable, IMHO. But I have found - being a numbskull wrencher - that having ALL of them can give you some cross reference (i.e., different pics, expanations, etc.) that really come in handy when you've got wires, grease, etc. all torn apart!!!

But if you're like me, you'll still find yourself coming back to these forums because there's always something that happens that ain't in the books!! And chances are, someone on here has dealt with it.

Best of luck!
Kevin

I hardly EVER open the ellerys, hanyes manual. Factory OEM is the only way to go. I second the emissions manual if you need to diagnose it. Otherwise it's the engine or chassis manual. period.

Oh yeah, Mud, obviously.

Fsm

My chassis and body manual is excellent buy my fsm for the engine is very vague and isn't much help at all. Are there different versions that have more detail?

Dianna said:
for the engine is very vague and isn't much help at all. Are there different versions that have more detail?

What's vauge about it? It's the size of the hanyes manual and it covers the entire engine.

Mine is half the size of my Haynes
manuals.jpg
manuals2.jpg

Last edited:
Thickness depends on the paper quality. I have two Chassis manuals that are the same. One is almost twice as thick as the other!

Guess which was printed in the USA.
DSCN4262 (Small).JPG

I like Chilton's as well.

I use Haynes, Chiltons, and various FSM's on a regular basis.

They are all different, the more you have the better.

I would start with an FSM and either a Haynes or Chilton.

Is the FSM the same thing as the body and chassis man. If not, anybody have a pic of the FSM.

FSM (factory service manual) started out as one volume, and eventually (as years went by) split into the engine manual and the chassis and body manual.

Hello guys
So this mite be stupid but I have a 1977 Fj40 and want to buy the OEM Toyota engine + body&chassis books. Do I need to look for a specific year print or will any of them have my model year covered?
Thanks!

I have been looking at these but I'm not sure if all or only one or two would work for my 77 fj40

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom