Fj40 roof repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Over the last couple of days I started the roof rehab. I’m actually pretty happy. The rain gutter trim isn’t totally rusted out and needs little repair work. The shell itself, that’s another story…

Any advice on working on the shell? I’ve considered buying one of the bathtub refinishing kits as a method for painting.

IMG_2297.jpeg

IMG_2298.jpeg

IMG_2305.jpeg

71970494595__02DA44DF-CE15-4B8B-A4AD-E72EC7A6A3C3.jpeg

IMG_2316.jpeg

Any local boat shops? Are the pictures a before and after some cleaning? Smooth or rough surface? Fiberglass compromised or what? Not sure of a bathtub finish on an outdoor product. UV exposure.
Just thoughts….

Classic cruisers sells the cap. Good quality. If I recall about $2000. An option. Cost out your approach and see if it a close cost route. These roofs flex. Pick a product that does not crack with flex

Any local boat shops? Are the pictures a before and after some cleaning? Smooth or rough surface? Fiberglass compromised or what? Not sure of a bathtub finish on an outdoor product. UV exposure.
Just thoughts….
Yea, but I’d rather do myself because of lack of coin. Smooth surface mostly. Hairline spider cracks that are surface level. The picture is after removing po rhino liner. Uv exposure, didn’t think of that part…
Classic cruisers sells the cap. Good quality. If I recall about $2000. An option. Cost out your approach and see if it a close cost route. These roofs flex. Pick a product that does not crack with flex
I talk to a land rover guy local to me. I got the rundown on gel coating. Im going to tackle this on my own. Product is less the. 150$ and labor is free :)

Do a little more search on forum for restoring hard top. My brain can’t remember, but it shed a lot of light Someone should point you in that direction.
Gel coat sounds good. It’s all in the prep.

If you hop on over to the “Corvette” forums, there are volumes of information on fiberglass repair. I’m condensing this so bear with me. The product to use under some of the older paint types was gel coat. The consensus now is a good high quality epoxy primer is the way to go. 20yrs or so ago I restored a 61 and a 63 vette. I used gel coat because that’s what I/we had. Caveat: I’ve not used epoxy on glass so I can’t comment on it. From what I’ve “read” high quality epoxy is the go to. Again, just do a quick search on Gel Coat in the Corvette forums and you’ll find a considerable amount of info.

I went to a boat shop and here is what they suggested. I then used Rustoleum epoxy appliance paint (I believe biscuit color) to cover it all up. Has held up very well. My roof work starts on page 69 or 70 of my build thread. The epoxy primer and barrier coat is thick and dries quickly. The stuff to the right was for bigger holes/repairs. Hope this helps!

1698262838618.png

I went to a boat shop and here is what they suggested. I then used Rustoleum epoxy appliance paint (I believe biscuit color) to cover it all up. Has held up very well. My roof work starts on page 69 or 70 of my build thread. The epoxy primer and barrier coat is thick and dries quickly. The stuff to the right was for bigger holes/repairs. Hope this helps!

View attachment 3465021
Thank you!!! This is very helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom