internal differances between H55 and H55f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
I purchased a BJ-60 with a bad H55 for FJ to BJ transplant. I have a good H55f in the garage. I know the output shafts are different, but how about the internals?

Thx

The proper name for that gearbox is the H55f regardles of the spline count.
As far as I know there is no H55.
Everything inside is the same.

everythign is the same between the different H55(F) trannies except the imput shafts for the different applications...

uh urgent correction.

there are two different H55's, the early open input bearing used to approx 1985-including all bj42's, some bj60's and some bj70's in canada.

the later, often using a sealed orange (or black aftermarket) input bearing. the input shafts DO NOT INTERCHANGE, nor do the bearings.

pull the figure 8 bearing retainer (front of transmission) and look at the bearings side by side.

the late versions are the same internals from 1985+ to 1999- there are bj, hz, 2h& gas inputs that interchange to these models.

it's a nightmare to stick a 1983 3B input into a 1989 2H transmission.

rick_d said:
it's a nightmare to stick a 1983 3B input into a 1989 2H transmission.

why .. ?

I thought aren't the same H55F for my 2H and for HZ engines .. diferent input shaft again I thought ..

I have to rethink the process, but the early bearings are 90mm diameter, the later are 92mm. depth to c-clip is also different. A later input could be used with an early bearing and case, but the input would have to be machnined for the c-clip or possibly use a different locking system (twin clips?).

I had this issue with a new input/bearing I supplied to a guy with early transmission in Flagstaff, AZ 4 years ago.

machining the case to accept the later bearing is near impossible.

...they don't cross

Tapage said:
why .. ?

I thought aren't the same H55F for my 2H and for HZ engines .. diferent input shaft again I thought ..
rainforrest847.jpg

Correct , My old 2h shaft on the left with the coarse spline,and a new 1HZ shaft on the right with fine spline also its a bit longer.:D :beer: :beer:

I'd need some clarification on this as well.
My 84HJ60 (from central america) had a H55(F?), in bad shape. I purchased a new H55F for a gasser 2F, and stuck it in.
did I do something really stupid? It bolted up (with a later HJ60 bell housing)-at least I think it bolted up, and it is running fine (again-I think it is running fine).

anyone? or what am I misunderstanding?

thanks
J

as stated in question these are INTERNAL differences between H55's.

oct 1982-oct 1985 5 speed cast iron transmissions for heavy duty land cruisers (that folks would be a H55, they are all "H55F"'s) uses a front input shaft bearing
# 90365-40002

oct 1985-sept 1999 uses
# 90363-40035 (subs up in some models to 90363-40037 BUT reverts back to 40035 to end of production of H55)

dimensionally these two front bearings are different, therefore the machining in the cast iron case and on the input shaft itself are different dependant on date of production. there is a hard cut off to ease of fit in october 1985 production truck transmissions.

spline lengths are irrelevant, we are talking "pre" and "post" oct 1985
----------------------------------------------------------------------
comments...
an april 1985 canadian spec BJ70 input shaft will not willingly fit a common 33030-60450 or -60431 H55 sold new in the US and Canada as of this date, August 21, 2006.

If you had a 1984 australian HJ47 troop carrier, you cannot take the input shaft of that transmission and place it into a -60450 or 60431 transmission.

A 1987 Canadian spec BJ70 H55 CAN donate it's input shaft to a -60450 or -60431 north american market new H55 for conversion.

ENS price on a "1995" HZJ75 H55 transmission is $6,500 cdn. The HZ input shaft in US dollars is $300. The -60450 H55 is $1,550-$1,800 USd. You can take the input shaft out of a -60450 transmission and replace with HZJ input and make the same transmission as the $6,500 cdn unit from ENS.

sources:
1981-1987 world J60 parts manual
1988-1992 world J62 parts manual
1984-1990 world J70 parts manual
1990-2004 world J70 parts manual

rick_d said:
uh urgent correction.

the later, often using a sealed orange (or black aftermarket) input bearing. the input shafts DO NOT INTERCHANGE, nor do the bearings.

pull the figure 8 bearing retainer (front of transmission) and look at the bearings side by side.

Yeah Rick's correct. I bought the wrong rebuilt kit by accident once. Had the larger sealed bearing and I needed the smaller bearing. Everything else in the kit worked, just set me back another $35 for the correct bearing at NAPA.

bigbrowndog said:
rainforrest847.jpg

Correct , My old 2h shaft on the left with the coarse spline,and a new 1HZ shaft on the right with fine spline also its a bit longer.:D :beer: :beer:

I thought both come from H55F tranny ..one for 2H and other ( right ) for HZ engine.

So buy an H55F for HZ input shaft and swap it into 2H H55F is posible with right bearing . ?

no, bearing alone won't make them work.

late transmissions will take HZ input shaft, early transmission cannot

(without machine work and then still a ???)

october 1985 is cut off date.

rick_d said:
no, bearing alone won't make them work.

late transmissions will take HZ input shaft, early transmission cannot

(without machine work and then still a ???)

october 1985 is cut off date.
It is my understanding that the later Toyota stock gears are identified by a v shaped nick in them and that they should not be used in an early model box.
rainforrest549.jpg

rainforrest798.jpg

digging up an old thread here, (and highjacking!!) i have a 1970 1F 3sp fj40 (in oz). its nearing completion and one of the first things i'l do after rego is swap in a 5sp. Here as many of you know the fj60 came with a h55f and the complete trucks are available cheaply for parts. down track a bit more i'd like to convert to a 1hz.

my question is; will the gearbox from a post oct 85' fj60 bolt up to the 1F? i dont mind if i have to swap input shafts around, or is this a lost cause? in the future i would remove the 1F and drop in a 1hz, again not minding if a new input shaft is needed. time and money are whats stopping me from doing this all at once so thats not really an option

EDIT: looking at bellhousing combos, i assume i would use the h55f, 3F? bellhousing and the 1F engine (if the bellhousing will bolt to the 1F)

all the 'f' series engiens can swap the F and H series trannies in but you need the proper bell housing to match the swap, you will need to modify the tranny hump and the driveshafts.
the HZ will need either a new imput shaft or tranny. when you buy the engine grab the tranny that is behind it. simplist way.

The difference between and H55 and an H55F is that the "F" designation means that the transmission was for a 4 wheel drive application. You will see the "F" designation on the A440 and others as well...

The H55F from am BJ is the same basic transmission as an H55F from a 2F/2H engine - but the input shafts are different and a few other subtle bearing changes as already noted by others.

~John

digging up an old thread here, (and highjacking!!)
EDIT: looking at bellhousing combos, i assume i would use the h55f, 3F? bellhousing and the 1F engine (if the bellhousing will bolt to the 1F)

The 2F and F engines should be a match for bellhousing bolt up. I can see no reason why a 3F would not bolt up as well... it's just that we don't see to many gassers in these parts.

~John

cheers for the responses, i'd like to get a 1hz with tranny but it would be too expensive for me that way. i can get hold of a 60 series for $1000AUS, this gives me a h55f, transfer, spare engine, power steering, option of wider axles, front disc brakes, and so on. the only thing it doesnt have it the 1hz. it is mentioned earlier in this thread that a 1hz input shaft can only be fitted to h55f's from oct 85' and on.

crushers, from what you're saying, im understanding that if i have a gearbox from after oct 85, it will still bolt up to my 1F (with the right bellhousing) and by changing the input shaft and bellhousing to that of a 1hz, i can also bolt that up? if this is the case, i will only need to track down a bellhousing/clutch etc and input shaft to do the 1hz swap

all the H55F trannies that came behind the H and F series engines will interchange as long as you have the 4 or 5 speed belhousing (the one shaped like a figure 8) so yes F, 2F, 3F will interchange. slight mods to sheet metal and of course driveshafts.
you can actually use the F clutch as long as you use ALL the F series parts in the clutch assembly if it is still good or you can swap for a 2F setup. either or works fine. BTDT. you will LOVE the 5 speed behind the old F series engine.

side note: once you swap out the tranny and t/case then you loose the drum e/brake. for me this wasn't an issue since i never used it anyway. for those of you that do you will either need conversion parts for a drum on the rear of the t/case (which i DONOT recommend as you need to cut the rear tubular crossmember off and relocate) or you can go to a later generation 40/42 rear drum brake axle or a 70 series rear axle setup.

as noted in another thread there is an imput shaft and bearing/bearing retainer change somewhere down the years of the H55F. i do not do input shaft swaps so i am not knowledgeable of this info BUT if you have the correct tranny (later generation) then you can swap the input shaft out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom