Alcan Springs or OME? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.autohomeus.com
Cruiserdrew reccommended Alcan springs to me, and I am comparing them to OME for my FJ60. I will do a 2" lift with new shackles, greasable pins, and flipped U bolts.

Do any of you have experience with Alcan Springs?

Thanks in advance.

Mike S

Mike,

I don't have any experience with the Alcan Springs. But my OME set up is great. :D I know it costs more, but for me it was a purchase based on how long I was planning on keeping my '60, which is longer than any of my other cars including the almost-new suburban... :slap:

So I decided the extra $$$ was worth the it since I plan on using my '60 for another 12 years...

-jeff

buddy has two perfectly flat sets of mini fronts that start out as a 6" lift.

these are from alcan, i know anyone that has seen these will not purchase anything from alcan.

just one truck and one experience.

Mike S,
I have been wondering the same thing myself for my fj62. When I was cruiser shopping about a year ago, I test drove a fj62 with a nearly brand new ~4" Alcan spring lift with OME shocks. I rode pretty sweet on the street but didn't get a chance to wheel. (sidebar: Sometimes I think I should have bought that rig -- already lifted, brand new 33x10.5 BFG ATs, ARBs in both diffs, interior redone, no rust, new very well done paint job, $7500. The drawbacks -- nearly a quarter million miles, drips from everywhere, funky step bars (not sliders) welded to frame. Oh well, I digress.) Did you happen to get a quote from Alcan? Do you mind sharing if you did?

Hi^C,
That bites. Did your buddy have Alcan build the springs for his mini or did he procure them some other way? Reason I ask is that Alcan claims that they build their springs based on what kind of weight you plan on carrying. So is it possible that the springs in question were built for an unloaded front and your buddy had a bull bar, winch, snow plow, etc. on the front or did the springs just suck?

IIRC, the quote for springs only was $190 ea. front and $205 ea. for the rear. So, about $800 for the springs. They recommend Bilstein shocks. Shackles, pins. etc. would be extra. I am gusessing my set up with flipped U bolts would run about $1500 for all the parts - slightly less or about the same as the OME stuff.

Delivery about 3 weeks.

OME-

Mike,

What are your intentions with this wagon?

Sorry, Mike. I can't speak for the Alcan stuff but the OME setup seems to be doing very well for me. I took out the super beefy rear leaf to save my back and now have a very smooth ride that I doubt will be sagging soon.

Good luck

I know someone in Denver that put some 4" Alcans on on an FJ60. The springs sagged a lot within a year - bad enough to be replaced. I've wondered if the problem with sagging springs is partly due to the fact that no one (I think) lowers the bumpstops when the lift is added. Without the stop to limit travel, the spring gets flexed into a permanent deformation zone and is bent - IMO. I had an OME setup on a previous 60. It was light front, medium rear. Nice ride but a bit much body roll on curvy roads. The front springs were noticeably bent after a few years of use (abuse?) The rears were fine. I never extended the stops. If you go the OME route, I'd rec' the med front, med rear setup unless you haul lots of heavy stuff. The ride might be a bit more firm than the light front but the body lean should be less and the springs should last longer. My current 60 sits on Ironman springs from Australia. The ride is pretty good - stiffer than the OME but no noticeable body lean. A feature I like is the rears have a thick lower overload leaf. It probably limits the travel some but keeps the spring from being damaged from back bending too far. So far the fronts are holding up well. Anybody know if Ironman is currently available in the US? I got mine from JTO right when the import deal crumbled.

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=12415;start=msg113900#msg113900 date=1078258947]
OME-

Mike,

What are your intentions with this wagon?
[/quote]

Steve;

This wagon will be for on road and trail use - but not HD wheeling. I will pull a light trailer and carry a car top aluminum boat on some of my trips to WA, OR, ID, NV, AZ, NM, and Baja. I already have a 5 speed, which helps the on highway performance a lot. Mainly, I am going to have a truck that can take me where I want to go fishing, chukar hunting, and campnig, and get me back. I do not want to be constantly messing with it but will do the maintenance to tke proper care of it.

It has 150K miles, and runs strong.

60 wag:

Thanks. I am not hearing a lot of positive stuff on the Alcan Springs. If they were a hot set up, then I think more people would be talking about them. Seems like OME mediums with 2" lift will be the way to go. Can you compare these with the stock springs?

Mike S

[quote author=Rice link=board=1;threadid=12415;start=msg113946#msg113946 date=1078262810]
Sorry, Mike. I can't speak for the Alcan stuff but the OME setup seems to be doing very well for me. I took out the super beefy rear leaf to save my back and now have a very smooth ride that I doubt will be sagging soon.

Good luck
[/quote]

Rice - you took out the stiff rear leaf? was it a medium suspension?? Firm? I don't epect to have more than about 150 lbs of trailer tongue weight on the hitch, and maybe two people and a couple of bird dogs riding in the crusier.

Thanks.
Mike S

I have Alcans on my V8J60 and have absoluteley loved them. There's about 30K miles on them much of it with excess weight, much rock crawling and other wheeling and they still feel great with no sag (and I have a 350lb rear Stout bumper).

Here's the key to ordering Alcans: make sure they are thinking "heavy, heavy, heavy" in terms of weight being carried and duty the truck will see especially if it's a wagon. Everyone I know that put anything less than a HD OME set on a wagon had sag within a year or two. So when I ordered my Alcans I made a point of using the heavy, heavy, heavy approach and I think that made a difference.

I suspect a lot of lift springs that are sold are intended only for looks and not trail use and the suppliers don't want to make them too stiff for rigs that will not see hard use.

Just my .02 but I'm totally happy with mine.

Mike,
Knowing my cruiser was going to be on the road most of the time I ordered the medium springs, however, I never questioned if that's what I really got in the mail until they were on the cruiser and I was headed down the road. I waited for about 1000 miles for the springs to loosen up some, and when that wasn't enough I went ahead and pulled it. The bonus is removing it didn't lower the ride (by an amount I could see), and if these springs ever start to sag I can slip it back in. Total removal time was about 45 minutes. Even without the thick leaf things are very firm but I don't have the top on it. Most of us know what a big difference that makes.

Alcan

I have 2 FJ60 one with HFS and one with Alcans. The Alcan leaves are 1/3 thinner than the HFS leaf. HFS has more leaves in the pack than the Alcans.
Both are 2.5" The HFS are a lot beefer than the Alcans. Ride is a little firmer with the HFS, thus better offroad. Alcans make a good DD spring.

Next time its HFS with 1.5" shackle.

Talk about a zombie thread.....

(awaking from the dead)

I have 5" Alcans that the PO put on, they are over three years old and have lost maybe half an inch. I love them, they are pretty soft for how much lift they still offer and the articulation is optimal.

Talk about a zombie thread.....

(awaking from the dead)

I have 5" Alcans that the PO put on, they are over three years old and have lost maybe half an inch. I love them, they are pretty soft for how much lift they still offer and the articulation is optimal.

I've run 2" Alcan and OME... no question OME both for ride quality and overall quality.

There ought to be a big flashing date sign when something this old get posted on.

maybe a different take on this ancient question...

OME- because you can buy from vendors like Cruiser Outfitters, Mudrak, or MetalTech who actively support TLCA and our recreation. And because it is a proven system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom