Alcan Springs or OME? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe a Different Twist

So, I'm considering the Alcan's on my rig since I'm not really looking to run tires any bigger than my current 31x10.5. I just put on the OEM shocks last year and probably should have done the springs then too, but wanted to wait.
My rig is a DD, so I don't really have the need to go bigger and definitely don't want to get into re-gearing. On top of that, I'm trying to make my original tranny last as long as i can since that is the one repair that I'm really, really trying to push off as long as I can.
So, instead of the stupid pricing for OEM springs, which is around $2100, I have not found too many options. Alcan's pricing is $220ea for the front and $240ea for the rears.
I guess I could do one of the smaller lifts, but I don't really need it. Even going back factory would be a lift, I'm sure since these springs are just about flat.
That's just my thoughts for the day. I'm still not 100% sure which way I'm going.....feel free to tell me why I need to go one way or the other if you've been down this path before.
What do you other guys do that have a daily driver?

m

My 62 came with some cheap extended shackles, which I replaced with SOR 1+" "extreme" shackles. Rides just fine and looks about right for 31" tires. When switched to studded 235's in the winter, it still doesn't look jacked up. I recently installed OME "low lift" shocks, as Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters described them. I'm with you on maintaining a stock ride height. New springs with stock shackles would be nice, but pricey. I'd probably go with Alcan 1" lift springs and stock shackles.

i have read alot on the 55 and they seem to be happy with them though they dont have the choices 60s have, go with ome tried and true

I have had a set of Alcans on the rear of my 40 for over 10 years. They flex like mad and I like them alot. That rig is much more of an off road rig than my 60 (F&R arbs, sm420, etc).

On my 60, I have a set of OME that have been on there for about 10 years. I love these springs too. They are excellent on and off road.

What you use your wagon for sound similar to my wagon. With that in mind, I would go OME. Perfect for on road and back roads. I've driven thousands of miles in the outback of central and eastern Oregon in my 60 and the OME setup just makes me smile. Awesome setup.

PS - I don't know if it makes a difference, but I can only speak of the OME I have, which are from Austrailia. I'm not sure about the current ones.

If you are planning to use it en road only and you don't care too much about lift then go OME... that I think it's the best setup ever in every way... the only problem with OME is the amount of lift that you get.. if you wan't to run 35's they will not fit that well... if OME had 4 and 5" lift kit will be just perfect!!! that's the only think I don't like about OME.. they don't make big lifts kits...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom