Techie ideas for FJ (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Real Skid plates that protect the transmission as well...
Stocks ones are a little thin and don't extend back far enough.

Pop out windows on the rear doors... how hard could that be?

Redesigned rear door, the back of the truck is a dust magnet. You can't get anything in or out with out getting dirty, the back bumper collects the dirt.

Adding a air deflector on the roof rack like the old vista cruisers had or even some of the mini vans to remedy the majority of the magnetism

Redesigned rear door,

That's my biggest issue that will be hardest to modify. I think a tailgate with a swing out tire carrier would be cool, and give more ability to haul long stuff. It would also make it easer to do a partially removable top option, which would be totally awsome.

I second/third/forth/whatever the bigger rear windows for visibility, and the flip out on the rear doors for ventilation as well.

Also the body mount does gets in the way. I'd like to put 285's on the thing without having to modify very much if any at all.

I think a tailgate with a swing out tire carrier would be cool, and give more ability to haul long stuff.

:confused: How would a swing-out tire carrier allow hauling of long items? This is my plight too (hauling longer items - 2x4x10s), but the only resolution I see is to have an electric (up-down) rear window - like the rest of Toyota's truck/SUV fleet. There is plenty of room in the door, so I am still confused about why they didn't follow thru.

I'd like to put 285's on the thing without having to modify very much if any at all.

No need to wish on this one, DO IT. Members of this and other boards have reported no contact with 285s on OEM backspaced wheels. Some even have 33x12.50 with no contact. The use of 34s and up are when most experience 'the rub'...based on what I have read about the topic.

:confused: How would a swing-out tire carrier allow hauling of long items? This is my plight too (hauling longer items - 2x4x10s), but the only resolution I see is to have an electric (up-down) rear window - like the rest of Toyota's truck/SUV fleet. There is plenty of room in the door, so I am still confused about why they didn't follow thru.

It's not the swing-out tire carrier, but the tailgate that would accommodate longer loads. The swing-out tire carrier would just allow for a tailgate to be put in, instead of a having the entire back door swing out. You can't very well mount a tire to a tail gate, can you? I'm thnking of finding a good body shop to modify my back door if I still have it in a decade when the FJC is finally paid off.

My back window opens upward. It almost sounds like not all of the FJC have a back window that opens. Is that really true?

No need to wish on this one, DO IT. Members of this and other boards have reported no contact with 285s on OEM backspaced wheels. Some even have 33x12.50 with no contact. The use of 34s and up are when most experience 'the rub'...based on what I have read about the topic.

I've heard of people doing it, but I have yet to get anyone to confirm for me that it's not a problem when off-road, fully flexed and turning. I also have the 16" TRD wheels, so that might change things a bit.

Even so, if someone offered me a trade for my low mileage 265/75/16 BFG AT tires (not wheels, I'm keeping those) for their 285/75/16 BFG AT/MT low mileage tires, I'd do it in a second and worry about the rubbing latter. Otherwise I'm going to have to wait until my current tires are warn out anyway. I can’t justify buying new tires when I already have relatively new tires.

It's not the swing-out tire carrier, but the tailgate that would accommodate longer loads. The swing-out tire carrier would just allow for a tailgate to be put in, instead of a having the entire back door swing out.

Understood, but what are you going to do with the swingout carrier while the tailgate is down (driving down the road)? I suppose you could pull it if you had prior knowledge of needing to drive with it down, but what a pain that would be.

My back window opens upward. It almost sounds like not all of the FJC have a back window that opens. Is that really true?

False statement/claim. ALL FJs have a rear window that opens upward (hatch-style)...unfortunately. Toyota went cheap and didn't use the design they apply to the rest of their SUV/trucks - a window that goes up/down inside of the tailgate. :(

I've heard of people doing it, but I have yet to get anyone to confirm for me that it's not a problem when off-road, fully flexed and turning. I also have the 16" TRD wheels, so that might change things a bit.

I can’t justify buying new tires when I already have relatively new tires.

Go to the Blue FJ forum and perform a search. There is one guy in particular that posted pics of 33s installed (no lift) in various flexed positions and reported NO SCRUBBING at all...even while in a full-lock turn.

The reason they cannot have a power rear hatch window (like the 4Runner) is because the spare tire mount bracketry is in the hatch & sheet metal is stamped inward. The only option is a lift-up window... or a really, really thick door...

great suggestions, keep it up!

[/color][/size]
Understood, but what are you going to do with the swingout carrier while the tailgate is down (driving down the road)? I suppose you could pull it if you had prior knowledge of needing to drive with it down, but what a pain that would be.

Exactly. That's the whole point to having a more configurable vehicle. You need to do something different, you move stuff around, and suddenly you have a truck instead of an SUV (like the old 4runners). The tire carrier would have to be made to come off somewhat easily so you could throw it on top of the load, on the roof rack, or take it off at home before you go to Home Depot. I think it would be awsome to be able to do that.

Of course the window would probably still have to be a hatch style window, unless it rolled down into the tailgate. Personally I like the hatch style window, I just wish the rest of the door swung downward instead of sideways.

Last edited:
The reason they cannot have a power rear hatch window (like the 4Runner) is because the spare tire mount bracketry is in the hatch & sheet metal is stamped inward. The only option is a lift-up window... or a really, really thick door...!

You are forgetting one thing - we are redesigning the hatch via a production change, hence they can configure the spare tire to mount onto the tailgate differently.

A better idea is to use wasted space by creating a recess in the rear-most cargo hold (under the cargo mat) to store the spare out of the way. That would allow Toyota engineers to do two things - make the vehicle more functional by adding a dropdown tailgate and also add a power rear window so I can roll the windows down at highway speeds without major buffeting. The present rear hatch window design is nearly useless, since the window only allows access to items that are stacked high or full access by a 7-feet tall individual (I am 6-feet and do not have a lift installed....yet).

<rant off>

Traffic light? What traffic light?

I'm 6'1" and I like to see the top of my right front hood when I wheel. In order to do that I gotta jack up the seat. Makes me tall in the saddle and all. Unfortunately when I do that and I come to a traffic light I either have to stop three car lengths back or bend my head over to see the traffic signals.

I would suggest bringing the front edge of the roof back a couple of inches for better viewing. It might also improve the aerodynamics of this refrigerator on wheels.

Don't get me wrong, I love my FJC, but nothings perfect.

I would suggest bringing the front edge of the roof back a couple of inches for better viewing. It might also improve the aerodynamics of this refrigerator on wheels.

I second that motion. I'm not that tall, and I have the same problem. It would also make the windshield less prone to collecting bugs and rocks.

Those back windows have got to open. My passengers get angry with me. I'm trying to find a way to install hinges and what not to make them swing open like a minivan, but I know nothing about this sort of thing...

It would be great for the pooches in the back to get some fresh air.

OK, I understand. Things Toyota can change or add realativly easily rather than things like SFA or a Diesel. How about relocate the Sub Woofer above the left wheel well to allow use of the compartment on the right side. Also the aforementioned forward dome light and handle above glove box.

Keep up the great work Toyota!!

Last edited:
First thing's first. Why would it be difficult for them to offer a diesel? Tehy already have one that fits in the Prado. Although I'd like to see it offered in the FJ in the US, but I'd also like to see it put out more than 145 HP. That might be tougher for them to do.

I'll second the need for more power outlets, both up front and out back. Maybe a fuse panel pre wired for add ons like lights, winch, or those extra outlets we've got to add.

Also second the forward map light.

REAL skids, not this aluminum bling garbage they try to pass off as a skid.

Rear seats that fold FLAT. It was done in the concept wasn't it? So it shoudn't be that tough to do.

rear facing cameras since the back up sensors can't work in a steel bumper that will inevitably replace the plasic POS.

Of course that brings me to steel bumpers. Why the hell did they use plasic? The wrangler still has a steel bumper, why can't the FJ?

Dual batteries/alternators.

more configurable roof rack

and of course, pop out rear windows

lets see...

I can't be the only one who gets terrible gas mileage! I only get 10 mpg (14 highway)!!! I get worse mpg than my dads chevy 2500 with a 7" lift!!!
I saw a suggestion for a turbo diesel, which I've thought of myself...
The 6 cylinder has less hp which sucks for highway, but more torque which we need for off-roading! I just think that it being 4,290 lbs (before mods: winches, bumpers, ect.) is a lil much, and a V8 could be a nice alternative!
I think maybe the new tundra motor might be a good replacement as far as daily driving, but not sure how effective it would be off-road!
ANY IDEAS?!?!?!:confused::confused::confused:

Rear windows really need to be bigger! less blind spots the better!
Beeping could deff be reduces!
I would like to have my back window hatch open without it saying a door is!
Auto on the passenger window would be nice!
Back seats that fold down flat instead of at an angle!
A better factory skid plate! After my first run mine was SHOT!:eek:

Also, if anyone has gotten water or mud inside you should know, the plastic interior isn't really attached to the floor board! you can pull it up! debres/water/mud gets under and is near impossible to get out! I would like it to be sealed! Especially considering all the talk about them being water proof!
It is resistant, but no where near PROOF!:doh:

10 MPG!!!!!????? What the hell are you doing? I get a little better than14 on the street with 33" TOYO MTs and 3" lift and just under 19 on the highway. Are you running premium gas? When was the last time you checked your air filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom