1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Techie ideas for FJ

Discussion in 'FJ Cruiser' started by powderpig, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Beowulf

Beowulf

Warren, Texas. That is about as deep East Texas as it gets. Maybe Colmesneil is deeper but I'd have to think about that for a bit. Fred or Spurger are right in there too. ;)

-B-

2. Bluester

Bluester

I custom fitted the 2 pc clamps on the upper cross bar with the slide adj. clamp off one of the lower bars and using both adj. all the way out and replace the knob screw with nut and bolt. used it for my surfboard rack.

3. beeje

beeje

Good call Beowulf, I see that you've spent a little time in the Piney Woods!!! I went with the OME and Total Chaos Uppers. Seems my computer caught a bug down here in Mexico so I don't haven't been on line much while at home. When you say foothills are we talking Deadwood? or other?

4. Beowulf

Beowulf

Nuevo Mexico foothills.

I was raised in Beaumont and had family and friends throughout East Texas, including Warren. Born in Center, spent a few years in 'doches. Fished and camped throughout the area. Fished at Dam "B" before they put in the resevoirs; T-Bend, Rayburn, Livingston, and even fished Caddo as a kid. Good times. We are traveling to Brenham as I type this...

Now we'll probably get moved to Chat. :D

-B-

5. rusty1

rusty1

one thing that I would love to see added is some kind of storage cubicle under the floor in the trunk like the rav4. Never could understand they make a vehicle to do cross country wheeling but not even a place to store a towing chain or any tools. This would be a great improvement. Also agree radio button very annoying way to small

6. PACK MULE

PACK MULE

I would agree, more storage for gear.

7. TwoSheds

TwoSheds

Ahmen to all that.. I tried to add some grab bars for entry/exit from rear seats, There is nothing to bolt/screw to in the door jamb! NOTHING, plus if you overnight in the rear you need to leave the back window ajar and turn off your dome lights,so you can reach outside for the door handle to get out. That's just lame,I would love to sit in on a designers board meeting and find out how they come up with some of this stuff, Only I can't understand Japanese.!:doh:

8. Niner

Niner

Do a search for the rearwindow open button Hack ;) on the blue forum.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  9. Niner

Niner

10. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

11. silversurfer

silversurfer

There is a code for that beeping. PM me if you want it.

12. landsharknva

landsharknva

Media:
    Albums:
    brake calipers

owning the fj has been a fun experience...except when your making mods. The toyota factory happened to supply my non TRD model with what appears to be TRD brake cailpers or as they say "big boy calipers". didn't find this out till after lifting the fj and trying to put my aftermarket wheels on. They would not clear the caliper. I then had to wait...had to order spidertrac spacers($200.00) later. wheels fit fine and actually look better...after installing bushwacker flares to handle the slightly extended 33"s. I agree, the body mount on the fj is a pain. so, i took it to my local 4x4 mod shop and had it chopped and remade. now everything is as it should be. Pics will follow soon. The fj motto with wheel mods.....you dont know till you try and fit it. then either get spacers and a body mount chop.:bang:

13. fjrohrs

fjrohrs SILVER Star

Some have been mentioned before but here goes:

Smaller C-Pillar as semis can get lost at a 45 degree angle
    Larger gas tank - 19 gal is too small especially if you add weight and larger tires
    Bright green handle with arrows for the clamshell doors as no one can seem to find them
    Additional gauges for trainy temp, etc
    A system like sync with a bluetooth option
    A beep when I leave my lights on - I know they turn off automatically but it beeps for everything else, why not for something important.
    Better departure angle - front can easily be changed with a new bumper, rear you are stuck unless you cut the frame.
    Drain plugs in the floor
    Move the wiring and computers higher up so that if you get wet they won't
    Make the cruise control work - when it downshifts it goes 4-5 mph over the desired speed and then slows down.

All that said I love it :)

14. bikelungs

bikelungs

Storage Box above drivers side rear tire well

On the passenger side of my 2007 FJ Cruiser there is a gigantic subwoofer box attached. Why doesn't someone (like toyota) manufacture a storage box for the other side of my trunk compartment. It could fit in the same space that that subwoofer fits, but on the other side of the trunk compartment.

15. 1911

1911 chupacabra SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    That's where most folks mount their 10 lb. CO2 bottle.

16. steven4mc

steven4mc

Did anyone ever do a throttle control?

17. geordie

geordie

A good modern diesel. Modern diesels are all my family drives in the UK, they have so much better mileage and superb torque. Or maybe something innovative like Ford's ecoboost engine... if it hangs together in real life.

In other countries the Hilux gets the 3.0l D-4D which is good for about 170hp and 260 ft.lbs, the UK combined economy is around 38mpg which would be 30mpg in little US gallons. Isn't the FJ a Hilux chassis? So that should fit? And it is a clean diesel for the EUropean market. So why are we still only getting the 4.0 gas engine? Come to that why are we still getting the Taco instead of the Hilux?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  18. Doug Whalen

Doug Whalen Canuck Cruiser

why not
    put a 4 point seat and harness for the passenger ...my small wife is all over the place trying to hang on point
    Doug

19. BigSwede

BigSwede

I have had my FJ for about a month now, and these are two of my biggest gripes. My previous vehicle was an 08 RAV4, and that underfloor compartment was wonderful. It is especially aggravating when you look at all that unused space under the cargo area.

And also agreed, for all of Toyotas talk about large, easy to use knobs and handles on the FJ, the radio knobs are tiny, short and slippery...very difficult to operate if the road is bumpy at all.

20. Chungas Revenge

Chungas Revenge

Ditto on the diesel (read unstoppable)...:steer:.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">