Techie ideas for FJ (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I average around 15mpg in my TRD SE, but I think it's getting a little better as I put more miles on it. I think the v6 engines is great, but I wouldn't mind a Super Charger to boost up the output a bit.

Also, there's really no such thing as a perfect seal. What really needs to be done is take out the padding, and put in some drain plugs. Of course then it'll be really noisy in the cab.

First thing's first. Why would it be difficult for them to offer a diesel? Tehy already have one that fits in the Prado. Although I'd like to see it offered in the FJ in the US, but I'd also like to see it put out more than 145 HP. That might be tougher for them to do.

I'll second the need for more power outlets, both up front and out back. Maybe a fuse panel pre wired for add ons like lights, winch, or those extra outlets we've got to add.

Also second the forward map light.

REAL skids, not this aluminum bling garbage they try to pass off as a skid.

Rear seats that fold FLAT. It was done in the concept wasn't it? So it shoudn't be that tough to do.

rear facing cameras since the back up sensors can't work in a steel bumper that will inevitably replace the plasic POS.

Of course that brings me to steel bumpers. Why the hell did they use plasic? The wrangler still has a steel bumper, why can't the FJ?

Dual batteries/alternators.

more configurable roof rack

and of course, pop out rear windows

Although I too don't understand why those rear-side windows don't pop out, if they put all the rest of it in from the factory, it would add another 10K to the price and they'd have to sell it as a Lexas.

10 MPG!!!!!????? What the hell are you doing? I get a little better than14 on the street with 33" TOYO MTs and 3" lift and just under 19 on the highway. Are you running premium gas? When was the last time you checked your air filter?
I use premium only, I've had it serviced every 5,000 miles at the dealership, and had them check everything! I can't understand why I get such terrible mpg!:eek:
But knowing that no one else is having this problem I'm even more concerned! :frown:

Toyota did do a supercharged V8 FJ with a truck conversion at sema last year! I'm not sure on all the details but it seemed to be a big hit...TRD has a supercharger that I've checked out...I just don't wanna be the first to do anything! I like learning from other people's mistakes!

Last edited:
How many miles do you get before you refuel? It sounds like you either floor it all the time, idle way too long, or you have a serious engine issue.

I had a thought. The compass/temp/inclimeter cluster, make that a optional muti-use plug-in cluster.
Offer Various vehicle computer modules, such as a backup or front end camera display (I often thought when inclined a such a degree you cant see the trail, a small camera on the front bumper would be cool.), or what about a radar detector, iPod dock, you get the idea. Design a mult-purpose locking interface and toyota could sell multiple modules. Open source the interface to encourage after-market products.

What gives? Over 100 Posts and only SIX people wanting DIESEL!!! What is wrong with you people?? I don't have an FJC, havn't been in an FJC but of all of the things keeping me out of one is the powerplant! (and the cash!)

Lots of amazing ideas in the posts I read here, and many things for me to keep my eyes open when I do go and look at them - but really - I can't see myself buying one that is not diesel...

A diesel would be nice but not a deal breaker. Here in utah diesel fuel is 50 cents more a gallon. There is good in both engines, each has its plus and negatives. I can remember when I was in ausi land they had both diesel and petrol (gas) versions in the 40s. the diesel was great offroad but more gutless on road than the gas version. I guess it all comes down to how you will be using it and what size diesel they would even put in it.

Flexfuel is a good idea :idea:, with the price of gas anymore I would pay 50 cents less for fuel I could use for daily driving. I would still use the premium fuel for off-road use though.

Robert

I know I have seen these ideas but I would like:
Power rear cargo window the vent idea is a good one
Make the windows Auto up as well as down
Dome light up front and all the way in the back
Some factory fog lights wouldn't bother me its gets hella foggy in Germany
Keep putting all the stuff in a base model so I only have to buy a switch
A Turbo Diesel
A locking compartment in the back Cargo Floor for hunting rifles

I have only had mine for a week so I am sure once I start wheelin I will find more stuff that would be nice to have

Last edited:
It is real funny that many people can not read or did not read fully. This thread is mostly about techie ideas for the FJ. Not about a solid front axle or diesel engines. The solid front axle is not going to happen unless it is after market(unless toyota changes some of it safety ideas). Diesel may come, but is not really a techie idea. Stuff about the windows not popping out , more electrical power ports, rear camera options, are great and helpful. If you want to rant about Diesel and SFA, make another thread.
Keep the great Techie ideas coming. I know they read this and other threads(they employ some people to read all the internet action on all the Toyota products). Now where they want to do some of the stuff is up to the marketing and other design staff. later robbie

Two months into owning my Fj and for the most part happy...I love the retro styling and the modern conviences. The power is adequate and it handles great. One big bummer is the driver conveiniences, only 1 power point..come on?? only one 12v outlet up front. With all the 12v gadgets we have in our rigs..cell phones, I pods, navigation, cb's ect..come on toyota give us more power !...one that is allways hot for charging when the key is off would be nice. Also the 110 converter is great, but could we have an outlet near the drivers compartment. Sometimes we need to charge our lap tops while watching a dvd up front (he he)...Also the passanger windows need to vent somehow, I have dogs and no way to get air in the back without opening up dr or pass windows, its a pretty weak design for the pupps. I tried running with the back window popped but it gets fumes inside at slow speeds on the trail. Seatbelt beeper is definatly annoying, esp when my dog sets the passenger side off with every bump! (I know you can do a trick with the odo to turn it off but it would be nice to just have a switch.)
Inside lighting weak in front of cab, how about a light on dash or at the mirror. I cant find things at night!.. These are small issues to a really great machine, overall I am pissing myself happy with the thing, but its our nature to improve right...Oh yes can we make top removable and the winshield fold down please! Love my 40 for that!

I like the Fj being basic. It gives you the chance to personalize it the way you want so that it can be different than every Tom Dick and Harry. Keep the cost low and add what you want to. It seems that our nature to improve has changed to our nature to whine. I'm whining right now because I don't have one yet. Congrats on your new rig. I'm jealous.

Please! Part time 4wd with the manual 6-sp. !!

And unlockable front hubs too. We really need to maximize over the road MPG and minimize drivetrain wear.

thanks!

DC

Please! Part time 4wd with the manual 6-sp. !!

And unlockable front hubs too. We really need to maximize over the road MPG and minimize drivetrain wear.

thanks!

DC

Actually this gives me an idea that I haven't seen, but gearing options based on packages/application would be a nice option. E.g., off road packages at 4.56 (like my gen II 4Runner), 4WD or tow packages that include 3.91, street/mall cruiser base in 2WD or 4WD at 3.70 or less, etc.

Carl

I would like for the passenger seat back to fold down flat for a work shelf for a lap top or flat place to write while Stopped of course :p

My biggest complaint at this point is visibility. Make the back door a hatch or something with a bigger window. Make the rear windows bigger. Make the windshield a little more slanted so I can look up at the street lights easier. Make the hood skinner with some real fenders like the old FJ40's. Yeah it might end up looking really stupid at that point...

Shade the area behind the rearview mirror so I can see while driving into the sun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom