Techie ideas for FJ (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

powderpig

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok I started this thread for ideas on the Techie side of the FJ. Stuff we can pass on(as to Toyota's guys ) that would be cool to have in the FJ. One thought I had is to have a electronic adjustable idle for use when runnning the winch or other accessories. Since no throttle cable, something bundled with the computer would be great.
So in that spirit, what other thoughts would be cool? :grinpimp:
later robbie

Front and Rear ARB air lockers from the factory.

Grab handles!!!!!
Need handles for people.
How can you have an offroad vehicles without handles?

If Toyota left them off becayse they don't fit, they NEED to make them fit.
This is a major oversight IMHO.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Low tech but nice to have would be for the rear windows to vent open and the front seats to fold forward for easier rear access, both similar to the xtra cab pu's.

Also, the skid plate design leaves much to be desired, needs support out to the ends and could be tucked tighter. Mine folded on a rock and I've seen another thread where it acted as a mud scoop.

4 doors...you can make that suicide door a bit larger and over the wheel well and you would have a customer in me :)

Robbie,
this is nice if it's going to toyota! :cheers:
I made it a sticky so it's easy to keep it going

I will send the link to a guy I know at Toyota after a bit. But be assured that some one reads all the forums that have some listing on the FJC. Toyota watches with great interest, even though they do not comment much. later robbie

I'll add my wishlist - improvements to the current platform

1. stronger control arms

2. relocate the rr lower control arm mount higher up or french it into the frame rail.

4. make the rr quarter windows longer (make the c-pillar smaller)

5. side routed exhaust pipe

6. redesign the puffy taillights- take out about 30 psi and it will look good :)

7. ARB lockers option from the factory

8. More attention to functional features inside- grabhandles were mentioned earlier, various pockets and tie-downs (like a good backpack w/ a place for everything). Do something with the huge blank spot at the passenger side.

9. Relocate the front bodymounts. This is a hinderance to upsizing tires and 1" back would make life alot easier for people.

FirstToy said:
I'll add my wishlist - improvements to the current platform

1. stronger control arms

2. relocate the rr lower control arm mount higher up or french it into the frame rail.

4. make the rr quarter windows longer (make the c-pillar smaller)

5. side routed exhaust pipe

6. redesign the puffy taillights- take out about 30 psi and it will look good :)

7. ARB lockers option from the factory

8. More attention to functional features inside- grabhandles were mentioned earlier, various pockets and tie-downs (like a good backpack w/ a place for everything). Do something with the huge blank spot at the passenger side.

9. Relocate the front bodymounts. This is a hinderance to upsizing tires and 1" back would make life alot easier for people.
Oops! I forgot to mention the suspension issues earlier. Stronger control arms would have saved me $$$ as I have already bent one climbing a rock.

Also rear lower links are a common point of failure. We saw this with the Toyota Trail team run, when several FJC's bent theirs on rocks. The heavier replacements are easy to manufacture and support the weight of the truck if dragged over an obstacle (proven), and that forward bracket is kinda in the way...

The body mount comment I can give a x2 on, need to support the addition of a larger tire (up to 35") without cutting and reboxing frame components :).

I would also add that the rear pillar is "okay" but i would rather see a bit more window with a lil vent in it...just nicer when you are offroad.

Would an option for kid tethers be too much? (inside joke for the folks with us yesterday). ;)

Real Skid plates that protect the transmission as well...
Stocks ones are a little thin and don't extend back far enough.

Pop out windows on the rear doors... how hard could that be?

Redesigned rear door, the back of the truck is a dust magnet. You can't get anything in or out with out getting dirty, the back bumper collects the dirt.

A skidplate that'd cover the whole between the center diff and the gastank for us MT6.

I don't think anyone has had my problem but better placed/hidden alternators when it's time to get dirty in the mud is a must. I had to take mine apart.

I second the ability to put on 35"s without lift/choping body mounts would be nice. I mean 1 1/2 inches per side is not that much.

Not so techy, but I'd like more power outlets, one being a hot wired power point. Also, I would like Toyota to offer them with some of the original FJ40 colors, particularly mustard and dark green. Keep the white roof though, I love that!

On the factory sliders...they protect the rocker panels fine, but don't do much for the body if you catch a tall rock or happen to slide into a tree or wall or something. Adding one more tube out to the limit of the door would be helpful.

and don't forget the spacer in the middle of that slider extension ;)

DanKunz said:
and don't forget the spacer in the middle of that slider extension ;)

ha ha.. funny. Another idea I just had, while not very techy. Very important in daily driving. This FJ is just like my girlfriend b itches about pretty much everything. Put it in reverse beeep, no seatbelt beeep, leave door open beeep, it's seriously extremely annoying. But like my g/f I still love her/it :).

Keep the ideas coming.
In reading some of these ideas, you have to remember that safty has been regulated by DOT and some other regulatory agencies, and insurance compainies as well. Like the Beeps(that are not my favorite things as well). May have to move to a different country to get rid of these beeps.
Solid Axle stuff has been hashed to death in other threads, is not going to happen from the factory(as far as I know, some day may have to eat my words).
Stronger Rear control arms would be great. But if we look at history, the rear control arms of both the 80 series and the 100 series needed replacing as well if you 'wheel hard.
My real intent is to get the other ideas that may be floating around like the adjustable idle for running the engine faster while using electrical devices, wider sliders, more power outlets, bigger invertor, non key switched 12 power outlet etc... Remember that some one is reading all the threads here on Mud as well as other forums to see how this is all going. I pass on stuff I read to the person I know if I think he needs to see it. He then passes stuff on to different departments.
I would also like a switch that allows you to lock the torque convertor to allow you to use the TC and compression braking more.
I too have already suggested bigger wheel wells, windows in the rear that open. I have not thought about the dust on the back (good thought).
Any how thanks for taking the time for doing this. We all may see the ideas coming in future trucks.
later robbie

I have not seen this yet, a front dome light.
All the other suggestions are great.

But often in the morning (3:30 am for me) when I leave for work I wish I had a front dome light instead of reaching way back to flip the other one on.

It would be good for looking at a map too, or if you needed to get to your CDs or bring up a playlist on the iPod.

There also is plenty of room on the headliner up front to have some sort of a mount to attach a CB radio to.
Maybe even have it plumbed for 12v.

I was seriously thinking of paying Cartoys to mount my huge CB up there, but opted for the glovebox instead like I did on the 4Runner.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/fj/cb/DSC00023.JPG

But there is plenty of room on top of the headliner, even for a huge Cobra 29.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom