Rust scaler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
Threads
I just got a cool new tool based on some research in how to get rid of old rust and undercoating.

It's called a scaler. It's used a lot in ships to get rid of scaly rust. It's just an air hammer with a bundle of needles - it's also called a needle scaler.

It works really well.

Pic 1 is the scaler
Pic 2 is before
Pic 3 is after about a minute.
MVC-025S.JPG
MVC-026S.JPG
MVC-027S.JPG

Last edited:
Anyone who used one of those things in the Navy might not share your enthusiasm for a needle scaler;)

Ed

That's cool. Does it reciprocate or rotate?

Reciprocate. It's really just a fast air hammer.

About an hour is all I wanted to do. Doing it all day would suck big time. It's hard to type with tingly fingers.

1 - about 45 minutes on the 55
2 - tried it out on the 40
3 - 20 minutes on the 40 hood. That old 60s enamel just cames right off. The red is primer. 10 minutes with the DA and it was bare metal.
45 min.JPG
40 side.JPG
40 hood.JPG

I just got a cool new tool based on some research in how to get rid of old rust and undercoating.

It's called a scaler. It's used a lot in ships to get rid of scaly rust. It's just and air hammer with a bundle of needles - it's also called a needle scaler.

It 's works really well.

Pic 1 is the scaler
Pic 2 is before
Pic 3 is after about a minute.
I just had an instant nightmare. I was in the Navy, we used those devil:mad: tools on all aspects of 'chipping paint'. pics look good tho.:beer::beer:

The welders at work use those for chipping slag off fluxcore welds too. Been thinking of getting one for welding but don't weld enough. Forgot it worked for paint and rust too. Gotta find one now! Mmm... more tools. :grinpimp:

Nick

Gumby, does it only work at 90 degre or you can lay it and it will still run fine? What would be max angle?

Gumby,

That's a great tool, but be careful on sheetmetal, it will ding and warp it.

I have found them to be really usefull on frames.

Have you seen a Snap-On Crud Thug or Wurth Remove All Tool?

Both rock.

-Stumbaugh

I was worried about the hood getting warped, but it was an old one for a junker. Anything was better than what it was.

That old 67 sheet metal is thick. It did just fine. I wont be using it on my 55 hood doors or panels. On the underside it's pretty well formed for strength. I haven't had any issues.

The IR scaler is adjustable as well.

What are the air supply requirements; CFM at what PSI?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom