fix one,start another (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i've been burning thru tires on the front of the 60.
a bit of a shimmy in the steering wheel at 35-45 mph

did an alignment today and it was wacked!
adjusted to specs and it came back real nice.

coming home on the hwy i finally ecperianced the "death wobble" what the heck!!!!! :eek:
but only sometimes at around 45mph :eek: acelleration or decelleration :confused:

could this just be the tires doing this?
everything else seemed to be tight.

funky tread wear trying to find it's new groove?

i've got a new pair of tires at work, i'll swap them over next week or rotate the fronts to the back and see what happens.

oh well, life goes on

wobble

You sure one of your rims isn't bent? This happened to me. I had a 80 Toy PU. I had 33's put on. On occasion, I'd get the 'death wobble' Thought it was the POS truck. Mind you, the tires were put on the rims and balanced. When I bought the 60, I took those rims and tires off of the PU and put them on the 60. Drove it - death wobble! Bought new rims, wobble gone. Don't know which rim was bent.

Maybe try some other wheel/tires from a known good source that'll fit and see if the problem goes away....

Funky tread wear can cause plenty vibrations or wobble. Easiest check is to do what you already said and put the fronts on the back, and vice versa, and go for a spin. Phoenix has a good thought with a bent rim too. Maybe you just didn't notice it before, or realize it because your alignment was so goofy.

Great thoughts.
the treadis cupped and tappered,thick on the outside tappers about a 1/4" to the inside.
i'll try to swap tires this weekend.

so another ? . what harm will tires with this type of tread do to the read axle?

thank you.

It's the bearings you would have to be concerned about more than the axles themselves. It all depends on how bad they vibrate. Once you put them on the back, if it is just a little shimmy, I probably wouldn't be overly concerned. If is is still bouncing you around and feels like you are on square tires, it could be an issue. Still, I probably wouldn't be overly worried. Toyota put a pretty stout axles assembly in these things. If all else, you could drop the pressure in the tires to smooth them out until they wear back in.

It's the bearings you would have to be concerned about more than the axles themselves. It all depends on how bad they vibrate. Once you put them on the back, if it is just a little shimmy, I probably wouldn't be overly concerned. If is is still bouncing you around and feels like you are on square tires, it could be an issue. Still, I probably wouldn't be overly worried. Toyota put a pretty stout axles assembly in these things. If all else, you could drop the pressure in the tires to smooth them out until they wear back in.

lower the pressure, they were low before i left from the alignment so i think i probably added 10lbs to them.
should i drop the pres down?

i'll drop it a bit and see what it does

So the alignment was off?

What was off?

What in the hell are you doing working on your 60. You gave up that life when you started making those increadible bumpers and sliders. Get you a** back to the shop and get to welding.

toe, by an inch out "V" :eek:

got it back in spec no problem....untill the drive home.

this morning i tightened up some u-bolts up front, a few took some good turns ;)

warned the wife ;) sent her out with my cell phone and asked her to call if it "freaked" out on her...no calls..yet ;)

when she gets home i'll know more.

i'm a workin REKCUT!

just came in for lunch. :D

Eat?? what makes you think you can eat?? :flipoff2:

eat,sleep, cut and weld...repeat :D

well it still does it :frown:
i'll swap tires tomorrow :banana:

any thoughts on slightly adjust the toe in the driveway? :banana: :banana:

jack up the front end, have someone spin the front tire, use something to make a line on the tire (steady..) then do the same on the other side. Measure the front of the tire and the rear of the tire, should be 1/4" off (1/4" narrower in the front)

jack up the front end, have someone spin the front tire, use something to make a line on the tire (steady..) then do the same on the other side. Measure the front of the tire and the rear of the tire, should be 1/4" off (1/4" narrower in the front)

i will see if i can do that on monday, thanx jason :beer:

we just got back from getting dinner. i can pretty much can power thru the 35-45 mph area, it's tolerable for now.;)

mine does ,it too so I ck the front end and found a bad tie rod you ck yours ??

also did it a few years ago to the same findings.... my be I should changem all not just one

mine does ,it too so I ck the front end and found a bad tie rod you ck yours ??

also did it a few years ago to the same findings.... my be I should changem all not just one

how are you checking them?
i've seen guys use channel locks and squeez the end, if you can compress the end, it's bad.

we did crank/twist the ends trying to loosen the jam nuts, would that have an effect on the TRES'?

jim

i think you need to find the root cause of why your front toe was so far out of whack. i'd closely inspect all of your steering linkage for any slop. i would never try to align a vehicle that was that out of spec. without first inpecting the entire front end.

to check your TREs, the grabbing with Channelocks sometimes works but the best way is to jack the front up so that both wheels are off the ground, grab each tire at the 9 and 3 o'clock postion and turn the wheel from side to side. there sound be no slop. if you can wiggle the tire side to side and the other wheel isn't moving at all, time for a steering linkage rebuild. at the same time, grab at 12 and 6 o'clock and any excessive movement there would indicate bad/loose wheel bearings.

my 2 cents on adjusting toe. tape measure and centered chalkline on each wheel, full gas tank, to start; a helper would be helpful too. after you lower the rig, roll the truck back and forth a few times and then jounce vigorously on the bumper to settle the front suspension. if your take your readings immediately after lowering the truck without settling the suspension, your readings will be off. ( i've been there done that a few times on a few god forsaken British cars.)

one last thing to mention about the "death wobble." i had a serious wobble at around 50-60 MPR. i checked everything, and i mean everything steering and or suspension; except the shocks. the shocks weren't leaking, passed the none to scientific bounce test. i'm rambling now, but my point is it was a bad shock causing all of my shimmying/vibration. i was able to compress the bad one with my two index fingers. 4 new bilsteins and truck tracked straight as a rail.

hope some of this helps.

keep us posted

i think you need to find the root cause of why your front toe was so far out of whack. i'd closely inspect all of your steering linkage for any slop. i would never try to align a vehicle that was that out of spec. without first inpecting the entire front end.

to check your TREs, the grabbing with Channelocks sometimes works but the best way is to jack the front up so that both wheels are off the ground, grab each tire at the 9 and 3 o'clock postion and turn the wheel from side to side. there sound be no slop. if you can wiggle the tire side to side and the other wheel isn't moving at all, time for a steering linkage rebuild. at the same time, grab at 12 and 6 o'clock and any excessive movement there would indicate bad/loose wheel bearings.

my 2 cents on adjusting toe. tape measure and centered chalkline on each wheel, full gas tank, to start; a helper would be helpful too. after you lower the rig, roll the truck back and forth a few times and then jounce vigorously on the bumper to settle the front suspension. if your take your readings immediately after lowering the truck without settling the suspension, your readings will be off. ( i've been there done that a few times on a few god forsaken British cars.)

one last thing to mention about the "death wobble." i had a serious wobble at around 50-60 MPR. i checked everything, and i mean everything steering and or suspension; except the shocks. the shocks weren't leaking, passed the none to scientific bounce test. i'm rambling now, but my point is it was a bad shock causing all of my shimmying/vibration. i was able to compress the bad one with my two index fingers. 4 new bilsteins and truck tracked straight as a rail.

hope some of this helps.

keep us posted

we did all that before the alignment.
i'm running the rancho 9000s and they are in pretty good shape.
i might look at the setting cause it's been off for awhile(don't ask)

well lets see,

changed two TRES' tonight (pitman to right arm) no change, they did seem a bit loose.
will change the other two when they come in wednesday.

BUT! check it out and i'll know more in tthe morning on the way to work.......looks,well it was, the nut for the pitman arm was backing off,don't know why but i got a good couple turns out of it. i'll check t/specs on it tomorrow and re-set it. :eek:

dought if the splines are messed up, haven't had issues.

jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom