Cold start Woes. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, my FJ 62 has a real tough coldstart problem very low rpm will not stay running on a cold start anything colder than 40° out if I touch the gas, it chokes out and dies once it warms up after about five minutes it runs beautifully until it gets cold again and then it has the same issue. I'm going to try and post a video. Any help would be tremendously appreciated, I've done a TPS I've cleaned up contacts on the temperature sensor. I've cleaned up contacts on my iac valve. I have checked the vacuum leaks.

Going to try and figure out how to do a fuel pressure test tomorrow.

I put a new distributor cap and distributor rotor on it. I just don't want to keep throwing parts at this Can't find anything. It's driving me nuts any help plea

Anyway, I can’t seem to find out how to post a video of the cold start

a

8;

g

~

have you checked/cleaned the cold start injector? that would help with the cold starting, not sure after it is running tho.

I had a thread on this that might be worth a look over: 3FE cold start woes - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3fe-cold-start-woes.1202317/

I ended up needing to replace both sensors in the thermostat housing. The PO had used a non-oem water temp sensor that failed early and likely was the wrong part to begin with. It didn't reach as far into the housing as the OEM one does.

Hey guys, my FJ 62 has a real tough coldstart problem very low rpm will not stay running on a cold start anything colder than 40° out if I touch the gas, it chokes out and dies once it warms up after about five minutes it runs beautifully until it gets cold again and then it has the same issue. I'm going to try and post a video. Any help would be tremendously appreciated, I've done a TPS I've cleaned up contacts on the temperature sensor. I've cleaned up contacts on my iac valve. I have checked the vacuum leaks.

Going to try and figure out how to do a fuel pressure test tomorrow.

I put a new distributor cap and distributor rotor on it. I just don't want to keep throwing parts at this Can't find anything. It's driving me nuts any help plea

Anyway, I can’t seem to find out how to post a video of the cold start

a

8;

g

~
I had a thread on this that might be worth a look over: 3FE cold start woes - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3fe-cold-start-woes.1202317/

I ended up needing to replace both sensors in the thermostat housing. The PO had used a non-oem water temp sensor that failed early and likely was the wrong part to begin with. It didn't reach as far into the housing as the OEM one does.

Yes, I think I’ve narrowed it down to that sensor today. I took out the injector and cleaned. It is spring pretty good so I don’t need to replace that I assume should I buy that temperature sensor? I think it is that you just forwarded to me that’s the best one I shouldn’t mess around with any aftermarket BS correct? I appreciate your time.

Yes, I think I’ve narrowed it down to that sensor today. I took out the injector and cleaned. It is spring pretty good so I don’t need to replace that I assume should I buy that temperature sensor? I think it is that you just forwarded to me that’s the best one I shouldn’t mess around with any aftermarket BS correct? I appreciate your time.
I accidentally linked similar parts twice, There's also this water temp sender:

NOS OEM GENUINE NipponDenso / DENSO 3FE PLUG and PLAY Repair KIT OE Sensor, sender Water Temperature (For E.F.I.) 89422-30020 Fits 85 - 7/88 FJ62 USA & Canada Spec. & 3B, 3FE; 3B, 3FE; BJ70LV-MNK, BJ70LV - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/collections/everything-else-hardware-fsms-shop-manuals-special-teq-stuff/products/copy-of-oem-genuine-nippondenso-denso-3fe-plug-and-play-repair-kit-oe-sensor-sender-water-temperature-for-e-f-i-89422-20010-fits-88-92-fj62-fj80-usa-canada-spec

So it's two plugs,the black one and the green one.

I’ve already ordered the first one but I screwed up and order two of the same units! I’ve tried to reach out to the company through email, but there is no answer and obviously nobody answers the phone anymore. Thank you for your help. I hope this works. I’m going crazy with this damn thing.

I’ve already ordered the first one but I screwed up and order two of the same units! I’ve tried to reach out to the company through email, but there is no answer and obviously nobody answers the phone anymore. Thank you for your help. I hope this works. I’m going crazy with this damn thing.
No worries @ToyotaMatt will get you set straight, he helped me get everything ordered for mine.

OK guys update finally running properly in the cold multiple things were neglected over the years by myself and my son who drove the Saul through college so I ended up changing the distributor cap which was completely worn out to sensors on the T-Stat housing. The TPS was all gummed up. I changed fat did spark plugs, but it was that last green tip sensor that did the trick. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it fellas.

I’m going to research what you guys use for
Alternators I need one of those next I’ve read about that green some thing a Brother’s I’ve read about I’ll put regular output Denso. If anyone can give me a heads up, I just want to buy one. That is definitely couldn’t get it here. Maybe cruiser Matt he had some I think.

OK guys update finally running properly in the cold multiple things were neglected over the years by myself and my son who drove the Saul through college so I ended up changing the distributor cap which was completely worn out to sensors on the T-Stat housing. The TPS was all gummed up. I changed fat did spark plugs, but it was that last green tip sensor that did the trick. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it fellas.

I’m going to research what you guys use for
Alternators I need one of those next I’ve read about that green some thing a Brother’s I’ve read about I’ll put regular output Denso. If anyone can give me a heads up, I just want to buy one. That is definitely couldn’t get it here. Maybe cruiser Matt he had some I think.
Glad you were able to get the thermostat working better. As for the alternator, you can get an OEM one still from Toyota: 1988-1992 Toyota Land Cruiser Alternator 27060-61090-84 | Toyota Express Parts - https://toyotaparts.lakelandtoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-alternator-270606109084

I had the local dealer do mine, because my local indie was closed and no other shop would touch the truck.

Do you have a direct contact for him? I’d like to cancel the two that I ordered an order that actual Toyota Park that you sent me.

we have spoke by phone since the first post #1

he is mailing back the 2nd switch he ordered by mistake , and we are taking care of him , and sending out the green plug one Monday ...

i have BOTH the early and late Green Plug OEM DENSO JAPAN sensor options now .....

NO more being force fed the later one if you have a early 62 ....

this is GOOD ....

and i like GOOD toyota anything goodness ... :D

1701003491285.png

1701003520462.png

1701003561556.png

1701003598383.png

3FE JPEG Banner.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom