No Garage - What do YOU do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys:

I have a garage but it is tiny and hopelessly cluttered beyond belief. I'd like to do some multi-day/multi-week projects on my 40 but no place indoors to do them. How do you you guys without garages handle this? Can you rent space? I'd impose on friends but they don't have garages either, and I doubt they'd want my crap cluttering up their house anyway.

- Dave

Dave, could you make enough space in your garage for those days that you work on the truck?

I built shelves in my garage and packed a bunch of the crap up high....then, got my kids' stuff more organized and now I have room for the cruiser. Everytime I drive it, work on it, or get to it...I have to move some stuff, but that isn't really a big deal.

Dave, could you make enough space in your garage for those days that you work on the truck?

Hey Doug:

No, unfortunately, the garage is barely big enough to fit a vehicle when empty. I have Elfa shelving on two walls and free-standing heavy duty shelving and an upright freezer on the other. There's just no way. :crybaby:

- Dave

Hey Doug:

No, unfortunately, the garage is barely big enough to fit a vehicle when empty. I have Elfa shelving on two walls and free-standing heavy duty shelving and an upright freezer on the other. There's just no way. :crybaby:

- Dave

I've seen it. He's right.

I'm with Dan. I'd just wait for a stretch of nice weather and pack tools in and out each day. Yeah, my neighbors would probably prefer that the 40 wasn't on jack-stands for a week straight, but my relationship with most of them is cool enough that they don't complain. It probably also helps that I live next to a lot that some dude uses as a junk storage place. The neighbors REALLY hate him and have been fighting for zoning enforcement for years. By comparison, I'm not too bad. Plus, your truck is good enough looking that it would be obvious that you're fixing a temporary problem. It not as if it's all rusted to hell and on cinder blocks for 6 months.

I'm with Dan. I'd just wait for a stretch of nice weather and pack tools in and out each day. Yeah, my neighbors would probably prefer that the 40 wasn't on jack-stands for a week straight, but my relationship with most of them is cool enough that they don't complain. It probably also helps that I live next to a lot that some dude uses as a junk storage place. The neighbors REALLY hate him and have been fighting for zoning enforcement for years. By comparison, I'm not too bad.

Yeah, I guess that's my only recourse. The HOA Nazi's can be pretty obnoxious when they send the Gestapo agents for periodic drive throughs. I guess I'll just have to takes my chances.

Plus, your truck is good enough looking that it would be obvious that you're fixing a temporary problem.

Just "good enough looking"?!?! Why she's a beauty! :D

The way I see it, this will keep the HOA Nazi's from focusing on your lawn, the worn trim on the house, the Elvis statue on the front lawn and the host of other things that they get all bent about.

lay your ass down on the ground like the rest of us unlucky bastards do who dont have a garage to keep our tools in yet alone our junk.

IM jokeing but im serious to. IF it real could out get big ol tarp from wallmart and some bricks or twolitters filled with watter attach to the tarp place over vehicle with the hood proped up run the tarp to the ground in front of the vehicle . and place a heater under it with you. U get big enuf tarp u should be able to cover whole truck front to back go aditional like 10 to 15 feet past the truck on both ends if ya wanted. I use to do that and stick one them kerosene heaters under it. Did two trans swaps on heeps in the snow 12 inchs on ground wearing jeans and tshirt. in front my house on public street.

Dave,

I got by for many years with out a garage and spent about 10 years helping Josh Fleming work on cruisers over at his place with out a garage.

Best advice I can give you is plan your tool box really well so that your not always running to the house for another tool and so that your tool box is not so heavy that you dread hauling it out there. This is also key when you go somewhere to work on your truck. If you bring what you need, you won't waste a trip back to get just one more tool.

Also, get a set of Carhart or Dickies insulated coveralls in black to resist stains. Along with some nice insulated mechanics gloves and a padded pit matt from Autozone, you can work in the cold with out too much trouble.

Dewalt makes some great 18V flashlights and lanters, as well as 18v cordless impacts that have some punch to them.

I used to put all on my tools on a cart and wheel that out to the truck. Hand truck works well too.

A small 4x5 tarp and 10x12 tarp, some tent stakes and a few straps makes for good sun blocks and improvised tents. I built my V8 FJ40 out in the driveway under a home made tent one rainy August about 10 years ago. Hooked a few ratchet straps together across two trees and made a simple tent.

Now, I have a garage, tons of tools but no time :rolleyes:

Always seems to work that way...

-Stumbaugh

Build a shed

I had the exact same issue - small garage with an FJ-40, plus all my tools, yard tools, lawnmower, etc. etc. piled on top of the truck. It was a disaster. I couldn't even get to the truck to work on it.

I finally ended up building a shed right next to the garage to hold all the non-truck stuff. Worked out great. I have to squeeze around the sides of the truck, and it's still cramped, but now I can actually do some work in there.

My wife wasn't too happy about losing some backyard to the shed, but now there's less grass to mow!

I feel your pain.

I have no garage, driveway or yard. I wait for a nice day, find a spot on the street in front of our place and work on it on the street ala "Brooklyn Style."

In fact, today I'm going to mount lights on my rear bumper! :cool:

I got tired of doing most everything mentioned above. I saved up money and put up a 40x60. Some say it is technically not a garage. I don't know what the breaking point is between a shop and a garge. But I guess I exceeded it.

Garage or Shop?

I got tired of doing most everything mentioned above. I saved up money and put up a 40x60. Some say it is technically not a garage. I don't know what the breaking point is between a shop and a garge. But I guess I exceeded it.

You decide.
PICT0068.JPG

no its not a garge.

it looks more like paradise.

funny:lol: ive had a garage twice in my renting days.the first time was a 10/20 storage building with no power.i used the s*** out of that one.then i had a buddy that had a garage in which i rented from him.never used the dam thing:confused: .now im stuck once again working outside:crybaby: with no room to build really

Thanks. I'll try it out at night next weekend waiting with baited breath for some clown with their high beams on tailgaitting...

No more tailgaters - that's funny. Looks like nice work. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom