dumb downtown garage incident (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone damaged their rack or truck because a parking garage had items that were lower than the marked height/safety bar? Will the garage pay for it? Even worth trying?

Garage was marked 6’8” and I cleared the safety bar at the entrance but this section was much lower than marked. Thankfully it didn’t hit on the awning side.

The yellow markings are usually for a pedestrian walkway not a height thing. I had to swing wide into a tight space. It doesn’t look like it in the photo but the low item comes out past it anyway.

😡

IMG_6749.jpeg

IMG_6750.jpeg

IMG_6751.jpeg

Saving grace is it wasn’t on the awning side and I didn’t take a sprinkler head off

I’ve heard of folks pursuing a resolution with building management. If it’s just a contractor like colonial parking, I don’t know if they actually own responsibility if they themselves are just managing the parking as a tenant.

BTDT in my FJ40 at the IBM Rockledge office in Bethesda many years ago. I just cleared the gate arm and thought I was all set. As I drove to the lower floors the ceiling kept getting lower and my antenna then soft top started to rub. I backed up, and went up toward the top of the garage and no issues. Ever since, I don't trust any garage I have never been in and proceed with caution.

Good luck with getting anything out of the building mgmt company!

ouch

thankfully haven't done any damage to my trucks due to poorly marked garages. have busted some overhead lights w/ my old firestick cb antenna. i had it bumper mounted to act as a canary in the coalmine. range suffered but i never scrapped my roof again.

i don't trust those markings at all. my current work garage lets me in just fine, but my roof rack scrapes/pushes the chain-mounted yellow tube on exit. did that once and will never drive the 80 back to work.

No luck getting the garage to respond (big surprise meh)

I ended up ordering front runner load bar kit for a Range Rover classic. Same width and feet height as the full rack for the 60 series. Not sure why they don’t sell it for the 60 series.

It’ll be a few inches lower than the Yakima.

My wife once ran into a manhole cover that was sticking straight up in the air around a blind corner in her office parking garage. She called the building manager who assured her the building would pay for the damages... we got an estimate for $360 to repair the car and sent the invoice to the building manager who replied saying that was way more than she expected and would not cover the damage.

feeling naked but aero
IMG_6891.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom