UZJ Oil Filter study teaser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is a teaser picture for my upcoming oil filter analysis.

Cut open so far ...

Toyota YDDZ3
Purolator Premium Plus L10241
SuperTech ST3614
Fram Extra Guard PH3614 (at least 5 years old)

Still intact ...

STP S3614
NAPA Gold 1348
Bosch Premium 3330

And others to follow once I know what I want to do.

What do you want to know about these filters ?
Filters1 web teaser.jpg

good number of things that would be neat to measure, if somewhat unpractical...

already great to see the insides, though.

Yup, the 20004 stands out!

I would think a dual stage dual filter system (Amzoil, etc.) offers the best overall filtration. Any bypass oil has to go through a filter...

How about the hyped substitute for the legendary -20004, the Mobil 1/Wix filter?

It's no cheerleader thread................................but very interesting though. I would like to see the Napa Gold as that is what is in both of my vehicles. Thanks for the work.

Thanks, I had a just bought a bunch of these to do this myself.
looks like the K&N and Mobil 1 are the same and the toyota V8 is completely different. Wicks did not inpress me with the number of pleats. Does anybody know what the red material is made of? Also, toyota rarely recomends going over the 5,000 mile mark and depending on which dealer I ask the always say use MOBILE 1 or Castrol blends. Either way, Mobile 1's filter says safe to 15k I wonder if it is worth it to try and run this?

looks like the K&N and Mobil 1 are the same and the toyota V8 is completely different. Wicks did not inpress me with the number of pleats. Does anybody know what the red material is made of? Also, toyota rarely recomends going over the 5,000 mile mark and depending on which dealer I ask the always say use MOBILE 1 or Castrol blends. Either way, Mobile 1's filter says safe to 15k I wonder if it is worth it to try and run this?

The M1/Wix filter look no better than the YZZD3, even looking at the size of the holes in the center metal core. Both use paper media. The only one that's clearly different is the factory Toyota -20004.

You really need to open up a 20004 filter, generally considered the gold standard reference.

Does anyone know if the big 20004 will fit on a 100 Series? I still have a case of those left over from my lately departed 80 Series...

Search through the threads here and the oil FAQ on the 80 page. The short answer is that the engine used in the 100 is very easy on oil. Running 10k mile intervals on the stock filter with a good synthetic (Mobil 1 0w-40 being my personal preference, with a preference across the board for the Mobil 1 products), is a total non issue. For most driving, 15k miles intervals on this combo is not an issue, but should not be pushed with performing a used Oil Analysis.

Does anyone know if the big 20004 will fit on a 100 Series? I still have a case of those left over from my lately departed 80 Series...

It is my understanding that the 20004 will work, but double check. If not, send that case to me, my 80 will thank you.

YES!!!! The -20004 is the factory filter for the LC/LX. Not only that, it works on a 1986 4runner 22re 4-cylinder engine, too! If you buy an oil filter for the 22re from the dealer, you'll get this dinky filter. But CDan told me a few years back that it would fit (-20004 is longer), and it does! It wouldn't surprise me if the -20004 filter fit every Toyota engine from the mid 80's to present. Nowdays, I use the YZZD3 on the 4runner and 20004 on the LX. Use it on all of your Toyotas...no reason to use the dinky passenger-car OEM filter.

YES!!!! The -20004 is the factory filter for the LC/LX. Not only that, it works on a 1986 4runner 22re 4-cylinder engine, too! If you buy an oil filter for the 22re from the dealer, you'll get this dinky filter. But CDan told me a few years back that it would fit (-20004 is longer), and it does! It wouldn't surprise me if the -20004 filter fit every Toyota engine from the mid 80's to present. Nowdays, I use the YZZD3 on the 4runner and 20004 on the LX. Use it on all of your Toyotas...no reason to use the dinky passenger-car OEM filter.

Thanks guys, and my truck thanks you!

For some reason I seem to remember CDan saying that the -20004 was being superceded by the dinky filter, and was no longer going to be made? I know when our local dealers look up filters for the 1FZ-FE and the 3FE (in the 91-92 80 Series), you get the dinky filter.

The 20004 is no longer imported, but still made. Somehow C-dan has managed to get his hands on a pallet of them, so if you want some, he is the sole source.

Wow, this thread is cool. Thanks for the info.

Sticking with OEM.

You really need to open up a 20004 filter, generally considered the gold standard reference.

I'll be happy to open any filter you want to send me once I get my methods and data collection requirements together. :D

The real question with the 20004 is ... is the "beef jerky" media really better?

Not all Toyota OEMs are going to be great filters. The Toyota filter I just pulled off my Camry may be a Purolator in black paint. Not bad but not worth paying more for.

I decided to do the head-to-head because filters may be made by a different manufacturer for every model regardless of who's name is on the box.

My limitations are to test only those filters recommended for the UZJ by the manufacturer (i.e. in the parts book) and those that have been verified as meeting all the specs by a knowledgeable source (M1 M-209 verified as OK per Mobile Techline).

So far I would not run a SuperTech because it has no bypass and the Fram by reputation. (CORRECTION - The SuperTech does have a bypass but it is integrated into a combination anti-drainback/bypass valve at the threaded end. I would use this filter knowing what I know now. This is a Champion filter E-core design.)

Last edited:
What would be cool would be to get comparative test results such as used by the OEM mfg of vehicles.

Filters construction & appearances can give some clues, but do not necessarily tell the whole story alone.

But in any case, if you stick to the most-conservative 5k mile change schedule regardless, then which filter you use might be irrelevant in any case, as long as it holds together and does not fall apart in service.

(That's why I'd like to see OEM test results. They have vested interest in knowing actual results of different filters to pick a decent filter, yet not spending more than necessary on the filter.)

(Remember the air cooled VW bug engine? NO filter at all, just a coarse screen! Yet known for being reliable.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom