BIG Oil Filter! M1-301 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTV

SILVER Star
Threads
I’ve been using the larger capacity M1-209 in my 2UZ’s for years. I changed the oil in my Tundra yesterday and used one. Same diameter as stock just longer.

IMG_5275.jpeg

Right after that I learned of the M1-301. My LC was also due for an oil change so I gave it a try. It’s even taller than the 209 and significantly larger diameter. The OD/ID of the rubber seal is also slightly larger but the oil filter mount has enough meat for the seal to seat correctly.

IMG_5278.jpeg

It’s a tight fit to get it in, there’s only about 1/4” between the filter and frame.

IMG_5279.jpeg
IMG_5280.jpeg

301 was $2 more than the 209 at my local parts store.

Would M1 209/301 filter be an overkill over the smaller M1-102A if my oil change interval is 10k miles (with M1 EP oil)?

Larger filter is heavier and makes it more likely for me to make a mess during removal 😂 (Have an aftermarket skid plate which makes access hard).

Last edited:
I tried the M1-301 in my '99 years ago and could not let myself leave it installed. The motor will move around in it's rubber mounts and the oil filter clearance to the frame was just too close for comfort. The potential for damaging the oil filter or the oil filter adapter was too great for my peace of mind.

I tried the M1-301 in my '99 years ago and could not let myself leave it installed. The motor will move around in it's rubber mounts and the oil filter clearance to the frame was just too close for comfort. The potential for damaging the oil filter or the oil filter adapter was too great for my peace of mind.

That certainly crossed my mind. If I find indication of contact I’ll swap back.

I understand using M1 synthetic oil filter, if going extended mileage with EP oil. In that Mobil requires its use, for the guarantee. Claiming typical oil filter will become ineffective during extended use (after 7K to10K miles).

But what's the benefit of, larger than stock OEM capacity?

Seems I once heard, better oil cooling!

Last edited:
did you keep it on?

Yes I have. I haven’t checked for contact though either. Considering the direction the engine rotates I don’t anticipate a problem.

I understand using M1 synthetic oil filter, if going extended mileage with EP oil. In that Mobil requires its uses, for the guarantee. Claiming typical oil filter will become ineffective during extended use (after 7K to10K miles).

But what's the benefit of, larger than stock OEM capacity?

Seems I once heard, better oil cooling!

Oil is good at picking up heat, not so good at shedding it. So in theory it could take slightly longer to get to normal operating oil temp but once it’s there, it’s going to stay there.

IMO more oil capacity is never going to be a bad thing and a 301 certainly holds substantially more than a stock filter. This is my reason #1.

Any filter is going to become more restrictive over time/use as it becomes filled with particles. A larger filter area will mitigate that. I will send my oil off for analysis to compare to my previous results.

Last edited:
Yes I have. I haven’t checked for contact though either. Considering the direction the engine rotates I don’t anticipate a problem.

Thank you!
Since covid and for foreseeable future, working from home, I was thinking of doing 2 year oil change interval which will be 5k miles or so total, so I was thinking of larger filters and extra 500ml of oil or so ..

Reactions: GTV
A larger oil filter is going to increase the pressure drop across it i.e. lower the effective oil pressure of the engine, all things being equal.

Is this pidgin English or something? Is anyone else having trouble understanding or just me?
Take your BS, elsewhere J1000. Is that to difficult for you to understand!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom